Total Bithead Question
Nov 30, 2006 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Poboy

100+ Head-Fier
1) Will the Bithead function as a USB DAC in the following kind of setup... how much better will it be compared to laptop stereo - out ( headphone out ) connected to stereo amplifier directly

Laptop > Bithead > Marantz Stereo Amplifier > Speakers

2) Is purchasing a Total bithead better option compared to USB soundcards like Maudio USB or EMU 0404 when using laptop as source.

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 5
It will work, and it will sound much, much better than laptop out. I had my speaker setup running of a total bithead for quite a while, and it did work.

The bithead will be more versatile than a USB soundcard.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is purchasing a Total bithead better option compared to USB soundcards like Maudio USB or EMU 0404 when using laptop as source.

Are you talking about specifically for audio playback, or will there be any other application such as recording? I used a Bithead from my laptop and it was a huge improvement in sound quality over my OEM card, but I never compared to after marked soundcards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will work, and it will sound much, much better than laptop out. I had my speaker setup running of a total bithead for quite a while, and it did work.

The bithead will be more versatile than a USB soundcard.

I think this would depend on the intended use. The Bithead only has one 3.5mm audio out jack. It doesn't have any inputs or digital I/O (like many soundcards do). I guess IMO it's not very versatile at all because it only does one thing. It's very good at that one thing though, and resonably priced.

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 5
It's possible I don't understand what kind of USB soundcards you guys are talking about. I have an M-Audio Transit, and it's smaller than the Bithead. It also has line in and optical in/out. I would say it's just as portable as the Bithead if not more portable.

At the same time, I have a Line 6 Toneport UX2 that's huge. I wouldn't consider that portable, but it has even more features than the Transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back