Total Bithead Problems
Sep 24, 2009 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DSGant

New Head-Fier
So, it seems like I've developed an odd little issue with my Total Bithead.

When I adjust the volume dial, I feel something like little rough patches on the dial that cause static (in lieu of music if it's playing, not over the music) in the left channel only. The rough spots move around, and can be temporarily eliminated by moving the dial back and forth in the area they're popping up, but then they seem to move to some other point on the dial.

I can also eliminate the problem by applying very slight upward pressure from the underside of the dial as I turn it.

I'm thinking there's some gunk in there or something. But why would it only cause a problem in the left channel? I've never soldered a damn thing in my life, so I've got no clue as to what's inside the amp. Well, other than op-amps and a DAC chip.

I've hit it with some ethanol-based spray electronics cleaner, which seems to clear up the problem temporarily, but I'm leery of using too much cleaner on it. Could it be dust? I haven't tried blowing it out with canned air, yet, because I don't have any and keep forgetting to pick some up.

The real worry is if something's a bit bent or otherwise busted on the dial. Would that cause symptoms like I'm hearing?

Any advice would be much appreciated, since like I said, I don't know **** about this kind of thing.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 6
Hmm, sounds like that volume pot is screwed.
confused_face(1).gif
I would suggest emailing HeadRoom about this. Hopefully the amp is still covered by warranty. Either way I'm sure they can help.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 6
It could be just as minor as some dust collection. It happens a lot to the volume pot on my bass guitar and just moving it back and forth clears it away temporarily. I would still take Big Werm's advice and send an email to HeadRoom just to make sure.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 6
This happens to my PA2V2 whenever I turn it on, so I'm interested in the reason. However, I don't think of it as a problem, because it goes away so quickly.

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Well, even though I can get it to stop, it bugs the piss out of me, because I have to adjust the volume often when switching from "classical" to pop music. I pushed a little harder from the underside of the dial, which has almost completely eliminated it, until I turn it all the way down to unplug the headphones.

Anyway, no warranty, bought it used off ebay (which I've come to deeply regret, as I like it so much I wish I'd given my money to Headroom), but I'm going to call about it on Monday. I might end up buying a new one (maybe they'll give me a trade-in deal), since I've yet to find another portable amp that offers its specific combination of features (true dual headphone out, DAC + line in, crossfeed) that I've grown accustomed to.

Logwed, I'll let you know what they say.

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 6
I think Headroom C/S will surprise you. They are usualy quite generous when it comes to "Out of Warrantee" repairs. Perhaps, one more contact cleaner spray and a bit of "Canned" air as well, if you can find a way of getting some dielectric silicone into the contacts, that may give you more permanent result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back