Total Bithead.... My next step?
Jan 20, 2005 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

quackattack

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for quite a while, and decided it was time to seek some expert advice. I came into a little extra $$ around Christmas time and decided to give this whole Hi-Fi thing a try. Originally I was looking at the triports, but one visit here quickly changed that.

What I finally ended up with is the Senn 280HDs. I love them! Great sound and it really started a new addiction. Since then I also picked up a pair of e2c's. They are a little uncomfortable, but I am getting used to them.

So my question to you is.... what is the next step. My Christmas money is all gone, but unfortunatelly that hasn't managed to stop me. I am looking at now getting an amp. My source is either an iPod or my Apple Powerbook. So I think the Total Bithead looks like a good solution for both a portable and a computer as source amp. I am still very new to this whole thing, so I want to make sure I am not throwing my money away. I listen to vitrually all kinds of music mostly rock, rap, some jazz.

Am I going to notice big difference? I doubt there will be much change in my e2c's, but I would love to kick up my 280's a notch. Are there any other recommendations for an amp? Or is an amp even what I need? If there is something else I should consider to improve my listening experiance I would be open to it. Thanks you all in advance!!

-quack

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 11
Oh yeah, one more question. Should I consider the regular bithead? How does it compare? Thanks again!

Jan 20, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Come on guys, someones gotta have some input. Help a newbie out!
icon10.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 11
I agree, you probably won't here much of a change in the e2's. The 280's might take to an amp a little more but there still shouldn't be a huge improvement in them either. However, an amp can only make them better so when you get one(as you surely will now that your addicted) look at the xin supermacro. It's only 50 bucks more than the bithead and a good intro/portable amp.

Jan 21, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by c-money
I agree, you probably won't here much of a change in the e2's. The 280's might take to an amp a little more but there still shouldn't be a huge improvement in them either. However, an amp can only make them better so when you get one(as you surely will now that your addicted) look at the xin supermacro. It's only 50 bucks more than the bithead and a good intro/portable amp.

Seconded. Unless you need a portable DAC/amp combo the SuperMacro would be much better for about the same price.

Jan 21, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 11
Hi quackattack,

When using your Total BitHead in conjunction with an iPod out of its headphone jack, you should expect to hear improvements in tightness and control of the bass as well as a more articulation throughout the rest of the audio range with both of your headphones. However, you probably will hear a little more noise with your E2's because they're very efficient. If you were to us a line level output adaptor such as the sik imp or the pocketdock, instead of using the headphone out you would definitely hear a good improvement with both phones. Using the USB out of your Powerbook into the BitHead would greatly reduce the noise floor and sound much more open and less crunchy than using the analog out of your Powerbook. I feel you'd experience a pretty significant improvement there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jamey

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm not sure if an amp upgrade would help THAT much.. personally upgrading the headphone may be the first thing... personally i own a e2c and an amp made very little difference (apart from tightning the bass up a tad bit). The only reason you might buy this would be for the crossfeed.. but if your source is computer , then a DSP is all it takes to solve that problem.. im not sure if your headphones warrant an amp of that expense. Though there will be a improvement.. it may not be THAT much

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the good input. The supermacro looks like a great option. The only thing holding be back is the DAC in the total bithead. It may be worth it because my Powerbook is probably my primary source at home. I heard that bypassing the internal path can make a big difference. Is this true?

I'm not planning on using the amp with my e2c's as much. I am much more concerned with my 280's. Will the amp do alot for them? I do think im going to get a pocket dock to use the line out on my iPod.

Hmmmm, alot to think about.

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
The only reason you might buy this would be for the crossfeed.. but if your source is computer , then a DSP is all it takes to solve that problem.

Could you explain to me what a DSP is? Thanks!

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 11
I use my TBH for exactly the same things you're planning to use yours for and I'm very happy with it. It will drive much more "difficult" and high end phones than you currently have and I think, as Jamey said, you will notice a big difference with the laptop. If you upgrade to some higher end cans later the BitHead will still serve you well with the 2 sources you are currently using. Is it the last amp you'll buy? Probably not. But for the two applications you're looking at, you'll likely keep it around awhile.
It's an added cool feature that the BH can also function as an Analog-Digital converter so you can digitize tapes, LPs, etc.
Make sure with the iPod that you use the dock line out or get a SIK imp, pocket dock or other line out device for top iPod w/ amp performance.
The line out feature allows you to completely bypass all sh!tty, built-in headphone circuitry.
W/ the laptop, the USB connection bypasses laptop headphone circuitry.
Hope this helps.
CPW

Jan 22, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all the input guys! I am thinking I am going to go for the Total Bithead. Sounds like it will be the most flexible. I appreciate all your help, I can tell Head-Fi is going to be a valauble resource as I further explore my new hobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back