Total Bithead Clipping
Mar 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SolomonPierce

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a new owner of a total bithead, mostly bought it for my dt770/80.  My question is that when using the dt770s at higher volumes the clipping indicator light will come on, though I don't hear any distortion or anything.  Now I have it set to high output even though they're 80ohm cans just because they were a bit too soft on low.  I don't always blear the music, but every now and then if I want to turn it up I'd like to be able to.  Is it okay having it on this setting?  And does it matter that the clipping light is coming on as long as I can't yet hear distortion?

The light also comes on when my 598s get too loud in the treble but I never turn treble up the music overly loud for treble anyway.  The only time I usually push the limit of this amp is when I'm using my 770s on a song with a good beat and I want to turn it up, thus resulting in clipping when it hits the low frequencies.  I plan on getting a better amp in the future for my next set, this is just a place holder.  I just want to make sure this is all okay or if I could hurt the cans with the high output selected.  I'm fairly unknowledgeable when it comes to amping, I apologize, but thank you for any help / tips.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Does that still matter if it's plugged into usb?  I received 4 new aaa batteries from the guy I bought this from, though they could've been sitting around for a while who knows.  I appreciate him sending them but I don't use it on the go anyway, so I didn't think the batteries mattered.  That's the only thing I read in other topics about this also =P

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 9
When connected to a computer via usb the batteries are not used.

I have never experienced clipping with mine, but I would suggest you contact someone in Support at Headroom.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Try lowering the volume of the PC and see if that helps. Maybe try Foobar2000 with the ASAIO output.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 9
I am using ASIO in Foobar though, so my pc volume is only at 6% for my speakers.  Can't think of anything else.  Like I said I don't hear any sonic problems, just that the light comes on.  As long as it's okay for the headphones I'll just live with it.  Like I said this is just a placeholder amp until I decide on an amp / dac for the lcd-2s which I'm planning as my next purchase, I want a nice step up.

Only happens on low freqs on dt770 and low/mid on hd598s (right around it's impedance spike it's imped vs freq chart).  So idk but like I said as long as it's not harmful I could care less tbh.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Hrm... Then I would suggest getting in touch with Headroom.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 9
The light goes off at the same volume where I start to hear my left driver rattle.  I've had that problem since I got the dt770 a few days back.  It only happens on low frequencies at a high volume.  I've made a topic about this also but everyone just says it's a hair.  I doubt it because I took the whole earcup apart down to the driver though I didn't remove the driver from the housing because I didn't want to remove the glue and definitely void warranty... Maybe it's the headphones?  I got these new though so idk what it could be.  I had that problem without the bithead too.  Just that when it happens is when the clipping light comes on.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 9
I think I'm having this same issue with my M-Audio DSM1 speakers.  The left speaker distorts and is louder than the right when the DAC clips, but it's also does it sometimes at lower volumes.  I'm trying to isolate the issue by having my speakers connected to my soundcard instead.  I'll let you know what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back