Total Bithead as DAC for A5s
Jul 4, 2008 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shortkidsrus

New Head-Fier
I recently picked up the A5s and I'm liking them so far, but I'm in the market for a USB DAC. The DACs I have considered are the FUBAR II, Emu 0202, and DAC707 USB. As you can tell, my budget is not very large.

I recently stumbled across the Total Bithead by Headroom. One of the things that attracted me to the Total Bithead was the fact that I can use it as a headphone amp when I'm on the go. I'm thinking that as long as I turn the crossfeed off, I can use it as a DAC/preamp for my A5s.

So my questions:
1) Does this make sense?
2) Is there any reason why adding an extra amp between my computer and speakers would be a bad idea?
3)Do you guys have any thoughts on Total Bithead?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 5
Good score, you didn't spend a ton of money. I have listened to both. Good job!

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortkidsrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) Is there any reason why adding an extra amp between my computer and speakers would be a bad idea?

The amp section and volume knob will add some coloration to the sound, but otherwise it will be like any other source.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good score, you didn't spend a ton of money. I have listened to both. Good job!

Well I haven't bought the Total Bithead yet, but I do love the A5s. Got them for a good price too
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony
The amp section and volume knob will add some coloration to the sound, but otherwise it will be like any other source.

I was afraid of that. Do you know if the amp section and volume are fairly transparent on the Total Bithead? I know that the volume knob makes a bit of noise when you adjust it, but Headroom claims this was a "design choice".

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 5
This will work, effectively using the TBH as a "pre-amp".

I have loved the TotalBitHead, my son uses it now in college.

No doubt there will be some coloration, and improvements in sound quality would be had with more expensive solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back