Total Bithead/Airhead vs other amps
Nov 23, 2006 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

scottymac

Head-Fier
Ok, so i made this other thread http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...24#post2509824 on suggestions for amps around $100. these were most of the ones mentioned.

- PA2V2
- cmoy
- Little Dot II
- go-vibe with elpac
- Corda HeadFive (probably too expensive)
- original master (again, probably too expensive for what i'm looking for)

Can someone do a comparison with the above amps verse the total bithead?

I would be using these mainly for my sennheiser hd 555s, on my computer. Depending on a few things, maybe for portable use also with a creative zen touch.

I get the feeling that the above amps might have better sound quality then the headroom total bithead, but they lack some features like crossfeed and the high/low gain switch. they also seem to lack overall build quality, the headroom amps seem a lot more well done and "official" if that makes sense.

But, i'm asking you guys. this is an expensive investment for me and i know nothing about headphone amps, except that they improve sound quality. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 12
One thing to understand quick. The Total Bithead is a DAC and Amplifier. Which means that it will do thinks with your computer that none of the others can.

Mainly... plug it into a USB port and you can get audio. Yes... USB audio. It'll convert the USB into an analog signal (Digital to Analog convector) and then amplify it to a level necessary for auditory enjoyment.

Now, I have to say. I'll be honest. I have a Total Bithead, and the only other amp I've ever had has been a cMoy. Now, the cMoy is probably the only amp that sounds worst than the Bithead. Now... lets not say worst. I mean... well heres how it goes. When I use my Bithead out of my iPod through a line-out cable, the amp works well doing its job, amplifying the sound, but it doesn't really ad much sonically. Do you understand what I mean? Its a fairly neutral, laid back amplifier. Basically if you source is very low, this works great. Yet, the thing is it relys a lot on the source.

If you were to use this solely for portable use: I would not advice it. There are cheaper solutions that would better work for you.

However, for use with a computer. Its OUTSTANDING!! At least I think. Any DAC makes for a very clean source compared to traditional low quality sources: iPod line-out, computer. It means you are getting what I would call a pretty high quality source, its no SACD, vinyl or the such. So, I'll say a medium quality source which for your situation probably means high quality (I mean your not looking to spend $1k, right?, if thats right, then medium quality is perfect for you). Now anyways.... so... your computer through the Bithead is a very clean medium quality source. Once you amplify that neutrally you get a very detailed, clear sounding output. Its very nice. The detail I get when using my Bithead is outstanding through USB that is. However, I find that yes the detail increases when using it with my iPod.... its obvious this isn't made for being a portable amplifier. Its meant to be toted along with a laptop and the occasional use with an iPod.... its flexible alright. Yet, to have it solely rest on the back of an iPod is really to waste its potential and your money.

If you are going to use this with your computer 75% of the time. I say its the best sounding option out there. Its not the best sounding amp, but the best sounding option. And trust me the level of detail cannot be reached by the other unless you buy a separate DAC for your computer.

I'm actually selling my Bithead. Because I realized something.... I listen to music very little with my laptop. My habits just don't work that way. I use my iPod with IEMs and you know..... that new RSA amp is perfect for me.... plus its slick
cool.gif
So, I'm selling my TBH to make some money for this new purchase. Yet, I think I'm going to miss the DAC feature because it adds a level of clarity that is unobtainable without one. And the TBH is great for this use because of the compactness of its combo.... plus the inherent synergy. Yet, unfortunately I just dont use it. I wish I used it more. Its really nice.
frown.gif

I hope that helps.

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, that does help chef. so, to make sure i'm clear on this; the bithead would sound better on a computer then say a go-vibe would on a computer?

although, i just realized $200 is pretty steep haha. i wish i could try these out somehow.

It would sound much, much better. Yet, the Go-Vibe would sound marginally to fairly better on your iPod (sorry can't directly comment haven't heard).

Well, you can buy them used for cheaper. I got mine selling for $175. I'm also willing to be a little inventive. You pay me the price, and I'll ship it to ya. If you like it you keep it. If you don't, you ship it back and I'll send you back the money minus shipping and like I don't know $20 for convenience charges. I know the feeling, I wanted to try out a pair of UM2s. Yet, its nearly impossible to do. So, I'll try to help you out by doing what I wanted from someone with a UM2. Let me know if you are interested.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are going to use this with your computer 75% of the time. I say its the best sounding option out there. Its not the best sounding amp, but the best sounding option. And trust me the level of detail cannot be reached by the other unless you buy a separate DAC for your computer.

I don't argue your descriptions and such because I feel the same way about the substantial increase in SQ with a USB DAC vs. the line out from a DAP...but I must throw this in:

porta3phone480.jpg

porta3pcbtop480.jpg

The Porta Corda MkIII-USB sounds quite a bit better than my Zen Vision:M(headphone output) using a Qables dock providing a line out into the analog input on the amp. This is obvious with any of my monitors.Using the USB DAC sounds freaking amazing considering its relatively small size...listening to some Infected Mushroom, USB input with my DT-880
basshead.gif
<---yes that's right!

eggosmile.gif

I know the PC is a good bit more expensive($275 USD).

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would sound much, much better. Yet, the Go-Vibe would sound marginally to fairly better on your iPod (sorry can't directly comment haven't heard).

How can you possibly say this if you haven't heard it?

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 12
headroom offers an unconditional 30 day return policy. so, if you simply don't like the bithead, you can call and tell them that, and they'll take it back and give you cash back, no questions asked.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you possibly say this if you haven't heard it?

Because I read. A lot of reviews say this isnt a great amp, but a great combo. A lot of direct comparison say that those amplifiers are better. But, yes take it with a grain of salt. Its second hand news.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man, this is starting to become a tough decision. like the one i faced not too long ago between the shure e2c or the etymotic er6i (i got the etys). the go-vibe would still offer a significant improvement when using with a computer, right?

Go for the Bithead. You are using it with your computer most of the time. So... the substantial increase is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back