Total BitHead, a source quality question
May 8, 2004 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

legionnaire

New Head-Fier
Im looking for a computer source that is portable so i can use it at home and on the road with my laptop. How does the total bithead sound? I noticed that it only has 16bit abilites. Does this compair to a decent sound card? I just would like your thoughts on the product. Thanks alot.

May 9, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 12
I've had my BitHead for a few days now, but I've been super-short on time. I wasn't blown away by the DAC upon my first listen (and I wasn't turned off by it either), but again it was very short. The amp section does sound great though. I'll get back to you when I can do some real comparisons with the DAC section.

-dd3mon

May 10, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 12
I have no experience with audiophile quality soundcards, but I do have the TBH. Soundwise, the TBH DAC has a smooth and somewhat dry sound. Compared to "bigger" amps (e.g., HR-2 or Headroom Supreme), the TBH is less dynamic and less detailed.

I'm not certain if the TBH's internal DAC is an essential feature even with my "stock" laptop soundcard. I've tried connecting the TBH straight to my laptop's headphone jack (thus bypassing the TBH's DAC), and found that the sound is also quite good. Using the TBH's DAC vs TBH analog-in yields different sound rather than better sound. On the DAC, music is drier, darker and more relaxed. On analog, the TBH is a bit brighter and punchier sounding. Personally, I prefer the DAC sound. I reminds me abit more of my HR-2. Analog sounded closer to the Supreme.

However, I must say that connecting the TBH via USB - which engages the TBH's DAC - does save batteries and reduce desktop clutter. The TBH feeds off your computer's power source and there is no need to attach an adaptor to the amp.

In my opinon, the TBH's DAC is better suited for jazz, instrumentals, some vocals and lighter music. If you like music with more speed and slam - rock, hip-hop, techno, etc. - perhaps you might want to check out some other amps (or use the TBH's analog section).

Of course, keep in mind that I'm using a home CDP for the HR-2 and Supreme. The TBH is used exclusively with my laptop.

May 10, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shard
For all you TBH owners. Do you notice any noise at all? I find that even when the volume is turned down, I can hear some noise. Maybe I got a faulty unit.

I would contact Headroom. The new units have no floor noise at zero volume and very little noise at max volume. By new units I mean those recently shipped in May. I'm sure you are aware the the previously shipped BH/TBH had some floor noise problems. These units were recalled when the new ones shipped this month.

May 11, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 12
I was not aware of the noise problems with the earlier TBHs. I just got mine last week. So it could have been an old unit that slipped through. I just wanted to be sure that what I heard is not a TBH "characteristic".

Headroom is already sending me a new one before I return the old one. Their customer service is excellent as usual.

May 15, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I can only comment on the other pc setup in the house. Yes, it comes close. I think the amp part of the pc setup is better, but it's tough to tell considering it's being let down by the computer, the headphones, the software used, the encoded files, etc.. So this isn't a scientific answer. It plays in the same ballpark of the pc setup in my sig.

It makes sense that the total bithead would be in the same general ballpark considering price. The price of the amp and the price of the soundcard is a little bit more than the Bithead itself.

It depends on how serious you are about it I suppose. The Total Bithead is a great all-in-one solution for those of us who need a portable amp and good sound from our computers. If you're someone who's looking to really poor it all into your computer, making the computer the primary listening source, maybe it would make more sense to get a system of seperate amp and soundcard.

It would be interesting to see how well my husband's pc setup held its own with the different headphones and decently-encoded files and the like. It would really give that pimeta room to flex its muscle. It would be interesting, but not interesting enough for me to care. Computer audio isn't my main thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rink111
Im getting a pair of CD3K's, with their low ohm load would an RME digi96/8 PAD or similar quality card power them decently without an amp?

Check out the closed can review I did, linked from my profile. I compare the CD3K with a variety of sources. I found the CD3K needed a good source and amp to shine - without it you're wasting your money going for such high end cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back