Total audio newbie here. I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's from Amazon and had a few questions.
Nov 5, 2013 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

murdokahn

New Head-Fier
I have never owned any headphones that costed over $20 so I went out on a limb buying the sennheiser 558's for about $110 (refurbished)

Questions:

1) Will I need a portable amp to get quality sound from this headphone? This pair of headphone comes with a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter so I can plug it into my iPhone. 

1a) If I do need an amp for quality sound, will I need to buy additional cables to hook them up to my headphones and phone? I am planning on buying the Fiio 6 if I do need an amp to power them

2) I am planning to use these pair of headphones for gaming. The ps4 comes with a 3.5mm jack in the wireless controller and I was planning to use these pair of headphones with them. Will I also be able to use a portable amp to use while gaming and not just used for listening on the iPhone?

3) If I am able to use these headphones with the ps4 controller (3.5mm jack) will this in any way decrease the sound quality as if it had been using HDMI or bluetooth for sound?

Thanks for reading. You don't need to answer all of them or can answer as short as you like. All responses are greatly appreciated

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 4
1) Unless you are unhappy with the volume you are getting from your iPhone, or pushing the volume all the way at or near max, then a headphone amp might make very little difference.

2) Don't know anything about the PS4. Sorry.

3) If you can use the PS4 controller, then you are at the mercy of the DAC/headphone amp built into it. If you also have your PS4 hooked up to an AVR, very well might sound better through it. You just have to try.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 4
  I have never owned any headphones that costed over $20 so I went out on a limb buying the Sennheiser 558's for about $110 (refurbished)
Questions:
1) Will I need a portable amp to get quality sound from this headphone? This pair of headphone comes with a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter so I can plug it into my iPhone. 
1a) If I do need an amp for quality sound, will I need to buy additional cables to hook them up to my headphones and phone? I am planning on buying the Fiio 6 if I do need an amp to power them
2) I am planning to use these pair of headphones for gaming. The ps4 comes with a 3.5mm jack in the wireless controller and I was planning to use these pair of headphones with them. Will I also be able to use a portable amp to use while gaming and not just used for listening on the iPhone?
3) If I am able to use these headphones with the ps4 controller (3.5mm jack) will this in any way decrease the sound quality as if it had been using HDMI or bluetooth for sound?
Thanks for reading. You don't need to answer all of them or can answer as short as you like. All responses are greatly appreciated

Get this aftermarket cable ($17.10) for the HD558, comes standard with a 3.5mm plug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560215640800&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you going to invest in a amplifier, might as well make it the Fiio E11 ($63, get Micco combo)
A portable amplifier should work with the PS4, assuming the 3.5mm jack is for headphone use.
You will not get Headphone Surround Sound, with the E11, it's just basic 2-channel.
You would need to use something like the Astro Mix-amp or a A/V receiver, that comes with Headphone Surround sound, to get more then basic 2-channel stereo audio, with the PS4.
Unless the PS4 comes with some sort of built in Headphone Surround Sound, which the PS3 did not come with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back