Total Amp Newbie!
Apr 4, 2009 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Pariah1

100+ Head-Fier
Help me spend some money!
tongue.gif

I have Senn HD 595's and a recently acquired Cambridge azur 640a v2 amp with Cambridge DAC Magic.

Everything sounds great, but the 640's headphone out is really weak/thin. I am surprised, because I thought it had a seperate amp for it and expected it to be more powerful than the headphone out on my old late 70's Pioneer 980 reciever. Nope, that thing kills it!

So I'm looking for an entry level ($150 - $300) full sized desktop amp (I don't want a little half portable one sliding all around).

I'd rather NOT go with tubes, for I like detailed, quick, and accurate over warm and airy, and they just look to be a hassle with tube replacement and all (and I know I'll get yelled at for that description and preference, but nevertheless I don't want a tube amp---maybe a hybrid).

So any good SOLID STATE amps out there in this price range? I prefer bright, nuetral, transparent, detailed, forward, full, accurate, fast, etc. in sound, basically what I have found the Cambridge 640a and DAC Magic to be.

All I've looked at so far is the Cute Beyond amp.

Recommendations? Thanks!

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 17
Looks nice, what is the benefit of tube and solid state? Is this a continuous harmony of both working together, or can one switch from one to the next?

I suppose I should add something else here: new is prefered but used is fine, and I'm not a DIY'er...I don't even own a soldering gun!

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 17
What would "matched headphone" mean? Just a headphone that synergies better with my equipment? I thought the 595's were at least decent entry level mid-fi/hi-fi. I find them to be satisfactory, actually quite good, but I know there are gradations with all this hi-fi gear of course. I'd rather just try a amp first.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 17
A low impedance, efficient headphone like a Grado or AudioTechnica or 32 Ohm Beyer would work well with anything you plug it into. Moon-Audio sells the 3 different Beyer models at 32 Ohm without having to custom order them from Beyerdynamic.

If you love your Senns then yes get an amp, but if your not 100 percent sold on them then another headphone could be a solution too. Your CA equipment is known for being neutral and or bright, im not sure about the 595 but I have read that it is not so popular because it is bright and not terrific in the bass department, Bright+Bright=Bright. Maybe you would want to consider Bright+Warm for something in the middle. That would leave out the Grados. AT could be the best bet.

All this is stuff for you to think about, im not telling you DO THIS!!! Its a place to start when asking people questions.

Denon "D" series headphones 1000/2000/5000/7000 are very low impedance, 25 Ohm I think, you can add those to your list of cans to consider.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 17
I got you, and that does make sense.

However, I don't see how the 595's are at fault here for as I said my Pioneer 980 receiver's out powered them just fine (well, not fine for all you amp enthusiasts, but fine for me!). So the problem is with the Cambridge amp, and I'd rather not replace my headphones (I know they are far from perfection, but they're about all I want to EVER spend on headphones, although we'll see how long I stick to that, although I've had them for over 2 years now).

I understand that Cambridge components are neutral leaning toward bright, and I suppose my 595's are too (although I find them to be pretty balanced, with enough bass for me, though I'm no bass head). But I like a bright presentation! So that's not a problem.

Thanks for all the information, any amp recommendations for me now?
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Yea, I thought you were an asswipe from the start, seeing as how you have an over-inflated sense of importance from the ability to waste money like a child on audio components that don't sound much (if any) better than components a fraction of the price. How sad for you. I have money too (enough to buy a lot "better"--well more expensive--stuff that is in your list btw...HD 650's? Is that the "best" you can do? How sad for someone who obviously needs to feel proud of themselves for wasting $$$ on ripoff "elite" audio gear...tsk tsk), but one reason I do is that I don't throw it away foolishy. Sorry you feel the need to. I guess it is important to brag to online strangers however. Yes indeed. Much more important than, say, giving that money you're flushing down the toliet to charity, which is what I do with some of the money I save by being sensible.

This site is horrible, so unhelpful, probably the most unhelpful audio site I've been (unfortunately) a member of. I'm out, back to real sites.

Btw, using search functions on various sites is supposed to accomplish what again? I have SPECIFIC (sound it out) requirements I want to meet according to my audio tastes and gear. Reading generic, sometimes years old descriptions of products not even sold anymore, won't address my needs. USER REVIEWS of products that will fit what I'm looking for (again, try to comprehend that concept) is what I'm after, not product descriptions. Idiot. Why bother to post when you're going to be unhelpful and lazy? To up your post count? How sad for you once again...unless you're proud of all the time you waste sitting in a chair looking at a computer screen (perhaps in your parent's basement? wouldn't doubt it) instead of living life.

/out. don't bother to ban mods, you needn't worry about my return! lol

(PS: To the few users of this site who are halfway decent and helpful and gave me good advice, I thank you! And what are you doing here?! lol
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 17
I try to help you and this is what I get? Your budget is 200 or 300 hundred right? That money will do much better buying something used. I dont need to up my post count and I try to help everyone no matter what the equipment costs.

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 17
Um, I might be a tad late, but Meier Arietta may be good for only $225 shipped.
And I think blueyez gave good suggestions...

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 17
Really though olblueyez is right. The best way to figure out an amp in your price range is searching through the threads for reviews of different amps. Or better yet try them out for yourself at a meet. No need to get so angry

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 17
The effort put into that rant is ironically more of a reflection on him than anyone in this community who's kind enough to give him feedback.

And not to hi-jack this thread, but I have *precisely* the hsame headpones, and am coincidentally looking at to buy an amp between 200 and 300 dollars as well. The Meier Arietta you say peanuthead? I was looking at that one too. It seems like it would balance the 595's nicely, but I'm hard pressed to find any long term impressions on the combo.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back