Total Airhead vs...
Sep 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ibis99

100+ Head-Fier
At the $100 price point how would you rate the AirHead against it's competitors?

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 4
I have heard a few other portables and the Airhead comes out on the top. The clarity this thing has for $100.00 is hard to beat, if possible at all. Does it get better than an Airhead, absolutly, but you would probably have to spend at least twice maybe more for better sound, this includes some home amps in the 200.00 range. Not to mention your rig is off the grid and doesn't have the problems associated with power regulation and all the blah blah blah that comes with it. Until your are willing to spend say $300.00 or more on either a home amp or a portable, (or upgrade your phones) you should be fine. Listing to my Airhead now with my iPod as a source (Aiff) and a LOD with D2000s, it sound great, if not a little dark sounding, but sometimes that can sound good.

Kevin

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard a few other portables and the Airhead comes out on the top. The clarity this thing has for $100.00 is hard to beat, if possible at all. Does it get better than an Airhead, absolutly, but you would probably have to spend at least twice maybe more for better sound, this includes some home amps in the 200.00 range. Not to mention your rig is off the grid and doesn't have the problems associated with power regulation and all the blah blah blah that comes with it. Until your are willing to spend say $300.00 or more on either a home amp or a portable, (or upgrade your phones) you should be fine. Listing to my Airhead now with my iPod as a source (Aiff) and a LOD with D2000s, it sound great, if not a little dark sounding, but sometimes that can sound good.

Kevin

Actually the warm(dark) sound sig is what I prefer since I'm a big Ety ER4 S fan and plan on picking up a pair soon.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 4
For what it's worth, I have both the Airhead and a Headamp AE-2 (portable amp) -- using several different Grado phones, I've found that for most listening I much prefer the Airhead over the more expensive ($350) AE-2. For me, the Airhead seems to present a better soundstage and brings out more detail than the AE-2 does. I don't think you can really go wrong with the Airhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back