Total Airhead power
Dec 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Acrog

Head-Fier
I was considering a new set of cans, and wanted to know how much can can the airhead power? I know they drive IEM's fine, but some of the bigger full sized cans like the k702? Some of my considerations:
k702
dt880
se420
d2000

I have ~650USD, So could get a micro and then one of those if you want to negotiate
k701smile.gif

-acrog

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 18
Hey Acrog,
I got my Airhead a few weeks ago ad it drives my se530s, e4cs, HD650s, and grado SR80 just fine. The k702 will also work but would of course be diven better by the micro stack. And if your going for true portaility the se430s or d2000 would be awsome. I at first was weary of the airhead making a difference on the e4cs or se530s but the sound is much better controled and clear, the bass is less muddier as well. Listenig to my Grado SR80s with the Airhead now on my lunch break.
Kevin, (my vote is for the dt880!!!)

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm between the dt880's & k702's now. I will later get the micro to make them really sing like they should, but both should way outperform my hd280's. Thanks for the replies.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 18
I have an airhead and some hd280's. I play bass (guitar and upright), and the 280's don't let me feel the sound like a good live performance. I'm leaning towards the 702's now. Sorry wallet.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 18
The K702's have pretty light bass unless driven by something outstanding, just fyi.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 18
Airhead won't do K702 properly. I've had that combo before and was told by Mike at HR that it's not sufficient.

The K701/K702 are beasts, depspite their relatively low impedence. They'd need the micro.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 18
Micro, definitely. Even moreso that it's on sale now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 18
How about the Airhead/Bithead driving the Denon D2000? Does anyone have any experience with that? I'm considering the Denons for my next upgrade. After that, maybe a micro stack (or whatever is coming next in that line). For now though, headphones first.

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmcavinney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For now though, headphones first.

That's a solid sentiment. Acrog, I think you should get the headphones you want first. The AirHead will drive them, not to their full potential, of course, but well enough to get you to the next wallet emptying event.

Good luck, sorry about your wallet!

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 18
Tmcavinney,
I have the airhead and the one time I tried to use it to drive the D2000 I was sorry. The sound was horrible and tiny. Using my micro stack however was the exact opposite story, lush and powerfull, this is my favorite combo right now. Its puzzeling because my airhead drives my 650s just fine and it sound decent to boot. Maybe me ears were off that day, (I have been sick for two weeks!!!!!) Ill do some more listening and get back to you.
Kevin

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 18
kboe,

Let me qualify my current position - I'm currently using a 2005 Bithead (not Total) to drive either a pair of Beyer DT231s at my desk or ER6is for travel. The source is usually lossless files via my iPod or USB/iTunes. I needed something closed/sealed for work, and I'm guessing either of these puts me (reasonably) close to the SQ of your Grados with your Total Airhead driving them. At lest it's the same dollar investment ballpark - not the same as SQ but there is the obvious correlation. You're saying that to your ears the D2000/Airhead combo was inferior to the SR80/Airhead combo? Just some poor synergy there? A step down from what I'm currently at?

My plan (as I think Tyll was endorsing) was headphones first, as the best sources and amps in the world mean nothing if the final link in the chain is crappy speakers or headphones (not that I'm not enjoying where I'm at - it's a big step up from earbuds).

The other part of my thinking was that a $30-$50 upgrade in amps or headphones would probably result in a vanishingly small change in SQ - it would be better to wait and save for a more substantial upgrade given the generally logarithmic cost/performance relationship in the audio world.

Anyway kboe (or others), I'll watch for further reactions.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 18
I just listend to an album from MA Recordings that I know very well, (MAonSA) and the Denon AH-D2000s with the Airhead was not my favorite combination. Do not get me wrong, the sound was DEEP, demanding and detailed, but a touch to dark for me. With the Micro Stack the sound was not as dark, but more natural and relaxed. With the Airhead there seemed to be some tension, thats the only way I can describe it. Like I said, The 2000s with the micro stack are the best sound I have heard, but something about my ears and the airhead/2000 combo just doesn't sit well with me. I dont think it would be a step down from your current gear, but a step in the right direction if you like a DARK sound. I may be overstating this but your ears may react differently than mine.
Let us know.
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back