TOSlink vs standard or RCA/ USB to TOSLink and more
Jun 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
would the best setup for onboard pc sound be via the usb instead of the audio jacks on vista?  

I will be buying the astro mixamp soon with an ad700 and wanted to know for sure if the TOSlink delivers better sound vs standard 3.5mm and what peoples thoughts on its use are.

my idea is to purchase a USB to TOSLink adapter, out that to a toslink cable, and then plug that into the astro mixamp for general pc use and gaming

my other idea is the buy a standard 3.5mm to Toslink cable to be used via my mp3 player.  

my last idea to buy a good usb wall charger so I can have the maximum output on the mixamp at my listening station, because Im sure batteries alone wont give me 100% and im told batteries + usb charger = removal of possible hissing.  

thoughts and comments?

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 3
I find USB very good - however most are only capable of 16 bit.  I prefer on board digital output as it is able to output 24 bit.  I think this is important as I can then utilise CPU upsampling and DSP with 24 bit processing precision - I think thats how it works - it just sounds better letting the CPU do upsampling instead of the DAC in most circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back