toslink vs. optical out
Aug 7, 2002 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Whats the difference between these, yadda yadda..
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

Biggie.

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 10
Well the optical out (what I called toslink) on my d555 has a different looking plug then the lineout/opticalout of newer sonys. Whats the 411?

Biggie.

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm guessing the optical out on your d555 is like a miniplug, right? Its the same, it just uses an adapter. Think of miniplug/standard rcas.

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 10
It's the same. You say "toslink optical out" in one breath.

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the answers guys. Ok, next question, is there a difference in quality between different ones?

Biggie.

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 10
No differences that I really know of...it's just a matter of adapting it to what you need really. A shoddy quality optical cable can introduce pops and clicks into the signal however, so at least get a decent optical cable. Acoustic Research makes a nice shielded one, and the Sony ones, albeit thin and cheap looking, have worked fine for me as well. Mainly protect the lens on both the sources and the cables...scratching the lens or making them dusty can screw optical equipment up, since it's light based.

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
No differences that I really know of...it's just a matter of adapting it to what you need really. A shoddy quality optical cable can introduce pops and clicks into the signal however, so at least get a decent optical cable. Acoustic Research makes a nice shielded one, and the Sony ones, albeit thin and cheap looking, have worked fine for me as well. Mainly protect the lens on both the sources and the cables...scratching the lens or making them dusty can screw optical equipment up, since it's light based.

Shielded from what?

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 10
i was telling my brother that his toslink was **** and he should try a spare coax cable i have lying around on his dvd player.

well, we did.. the toslink had more snap and crackle to it.. i runned away in a quick rush.. i suppose its dependent on the system + cable..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back