TOSLINK Cable Questions
Mar 15, 2007 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Packgrog

500+ Head-Fier
Are there any companies out there that make optical cables in lengths shorter than 1 meter? That seems to be the shortest I can find.

Also, are there any companies out there that make optical cables with dual RIGHT ANGLE MINI connectors?

Lastly, does glass make that much of a difference in the short term, or is it only important if you're planning on using the same cable for more than a decade and expecting it to provide the same signal strength.

Basically, I'm hoping to link up my H120 to an external DAC before too much longer, and any portable DACs would have a mini connector. I would also prefer not to have a whole meter of cable to drag around when my H120 would be sitting right next to the DAC anyway.

Anyone?

-Packgrog

NP: Fredrick Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within Version 3.33

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 4
I was in the same boat not too long ago. Here's a 18-inch Dayton Glass optical cable. You'll also need the toslink to mini adapter.

I know there's another company that makes custom cables, and they make it as short as 12 inches. I'll have to look up the link when I get home or you can search the forums.

Edit: I found the link. You can order toslink cables starting from 7 inches and up. Mind you, I have never ordered anything from them, but I did get this link from someone else like a year ago in a different thread.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: I found the link. You can order toslink cables starting from 7 inches and up. Mind you, I have never ordered anything from them, but I did get this link from someone else like a year ago in a different thread.

I wanted to follow up because I used this link to buy an optical cable. I was in the same position as you fellows. I'm have a bedside/desktop rig that consists of the HeadRoom Coda/Overture stack and an iHP120. I had the Dayton 18" glass optical cable and it was really cumbersome. I ordered the 7 inch cable and it's perfect for connecting the DAP with the DAC without any added cable. I do have to have them facing in oppposite directions, but this is not really an issue, since you don't really need to touch the DAC (I have it plugged in now so I don't even need to turn it on and off very often) and the DAP has a wired remote.

As to sound quality, it is impossible for me to tell the difference between the two cables in this rig. That may have something to do with the fact that there is no easy way to A/B the two cables - you have to unplug one, then plug in the other and by that time my sonic memory has faded - but if there is a difference it is negligable and the convenience of having a more manageable cable in this type of rig far outways any minimal sound improvement one might hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back