Toshiba T400 vs Samsung P2 vs iRiver Clix2
Nov 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tsuioku

100+ Head-Fier
In the market for a portable audio player for commuting and currently thinking about the Toshiba T400 vs Samsung P2 vs iRiver Clix2. I currently have an old 256MB Creative Muvo which is really old school and too small now. Which would you recommend?

I will be pairing it with my UM1s and will be used primarily for audio. My ears are sensitive to higher pitches so I would prefer something darker sounding. I would have grabbed the T400 because of its much lower price if it only had a custom EQ (I find the UM1s often too bright if I don't tweak the EQ). I listen to a wide variety of music from Pop to RNB and Instrumentals/Classical to Hard Trance.

Looks like the main questions are how does the SQ compare and are the P2 and Clix2 worth the extra money? For a comparison, I've tried out my friend's D2 and MylarOne X3s in various combinations with my Muvo and UM1 and love their sound. Any other suggestions and comments are much appreciated.

PS I'd prefer not to get a D2 just because my friend already has one...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't toshiba t400 have preset eqs? Anyways, I pick the toshiba t400, it has said to have great SQ comparable to i audio, cheap, large screen and nice interface.

Yea... but it's Preset only... no Custom.. If there was no EQ whatsoever, it would really suck... ><

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 15
I personally chose the Clix2 over the P2. It sounds absolutely fantastic with my Atrio M5s and the custom themes are just amazing. There is a 5 band custom EQ. I haven't heard the P2, but it been rated pretty good as well.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 15
A quick reminder for those that voted "Other" please state your recommendation.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following now:
Sub 100: Toshiba T400
Low 100: Sony A816/S616 vs Creative Zen
Mid 100: Samsung P2

Just weighing pros and cons with price hunting right now... I'm already monitoring ebay... but if you know of somewhere cheap, feel free to give me a heads up. I'm ok with used players as long as it still in good condition.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally chose the Clix2 over the P2. It sounds absolutely fantastic with my Atrio M5s and the custom themes are just amazing. There is a 5 band custom EQ. I haven't heard the P2, but it been rated pretty good as well.

anyone have Love in Lplayer? the price is very low. The 8G version is only $140.

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Personally I own a Cowon D2, and it is comparable to the Clix2 in many ways from what I hear. I'd look into that for three main reasons. 1) Sound quality comparable to the other three you mentioned, 2) 5 band eq + other auditory enhancement tools, 3) expandable SDHC slot (the third was the selling point for me)... Oh did I mention the insane battery life? Its rated for 52 hours (thats unrealistic using real world settings, but I listen to music for a minimum of 3 hrs a day during weekdays, and almost constantly on sunday, and even still I only have to charge it every week and a half at most).

I would suggest looking into it, a 8gb + 16gbsdhc would probably be one of the best dap deals you could find. IMO

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by r@mside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you love D2 sound and want to be different to your friend, get the i7.

Either 1 is excellent in terms of SQ - only the new Sony players can compete w/them.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 15
With the options up there, i would recommend the p2 because of it's capabilities and updating firmware. Changing it to korean and UMS will allow you to update using the beta firmware.

It's also very sleek and has bluetooth properties, though YMMV

Sound Quality is great, it has a very good flat eq, and a very customized eq menu for you eqing needs.

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 15
This thread can go on and on and on...

The real problem here comes down to preference.

I have not heard the Toshiba or the Samsung p2 so I would not be of much help there.

But where I can help out is in differentiating between clix and d2.

When it comes to feature set, I think it is rather difficult to beat out the d2. It can do almost everything and with a firmware update even take out your garbage. I was so impressed by the feature set that I could not resist buying one.

But that's where the whole excitement ended. I can skimp on anything but the sound quality. That's where the d2 disappointed me compared to the clix.

The best thing about the clix is it's smoothness and soundstage. Paired with an IEM which can give a great soundstage like super.fi pro or the triple.fis, it is truly impressive for a portable setup.

The d2 sound is rather sterile and very analytical in comparison. The soundstage is totally non-existent compared to the clix. Also it does not have the low end that the clix has. The separation also seems to suffer if you try compensate by boosting the bass on the d2. I can see people liking it for some type of music like classical. When it comes to rock, it is just downright painful to listen to. It gets extremely sibilant on certain tracks and very metallic. It's very hard to enjoy music that way. In fact I think d2 has too much highs which makes it fatiguing. Another way to compensate would be to maybe get some dark phones like atrios. Although I have not tried this.

If you want a player that can adjust to any music well, then the clix is your answer. Not to mention it is one of the best looking players ever.

I also find the videos richer on the clix. Also the viewing angles are great on the clix. The d2 videos are also pretty good but the viewing angles are not.

I really tried to like the d2 for some time but I just could not having heard a clix.

I think everyone who owns a d2 must listen to the clix for some time with a high end IEM like super.fi pro, atrios, shure e500 or the triple.fi. Basically IEMs which provide great sense of space and soundstage. And then listen to the d2 with same IEM. I am pretty sure you would stick with the clix.

Please don't compare listening to stock buds. In fact I found the d2 buds are better than the clix buds so that might give some the feeling that the d2 is better out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back