Toshiba SD-6915 basic reliability?
Jul 11, 2004 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

audiopile

New Head-Fier
Anyone have first hand experience with this piece? Not expecting the world in terms of sound or picture - but has anyone had one of these that has continued to work for a week or two?

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't have first-hand experience, but I've done some research on this one. I saw it at best buy and came this close (my fingers are really, really close together
smily_headphones1.gif
) to buying it then and there. 5 disc dvda/sacd for $180! Whoa! But then I thought, "I wonder what users have to say?". I'm glad I had that thought as, once I looked around, I discovered that owners all over found it very buggy. They have a firmware upgrade disk they'll send you, though - haven't seen much on if it successfully gets the thing up to speed...

Aug 11, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 3
I just received my SD-6915 from J&R. I had it delivered here at work. I hadn't found any reviews before I ordered it, but all the reviews I have found in the meantime have been either neutral or negative.

Unfortunately I was too ignorant to realize that on a cheap universal player like this you apparently HAVE to hook up a TV to get access the menus that allow you to configure and control the player. The front panel display of the player is extemely minimal. I bought the player to use at work, for redbook CD, SACD, and MP3 CD playback. It seems like it may not work out here at work since I have no TV or monitor to hook it up to.

Currently I have dropped CDs, SACDs, and MP3 CDs, into the player and they all play. Unfortunately, I can't tell which SACD layer is playing or whether the CD playback is being upsampled or not. I've only been listening to it for about an hour, so far. I have it hooked up to my Tangent Meta42 and my HD-600s. There does not appear to be a headphone out on the unit itself, so I am using the stereo line outs. The front display does flash SACD when loading an SACD disc so I presume it is defaulting to the SACD layer, not the CD layer.

I found the toshiba support website that had the notice about the upgrade CD. According to the site my player has a serial number post the deficient players. Much of the bad reviews I read about related to ergonomics and DVD playback so they may not matter much to me.

Anyway, so far it sounds MUCH better than the IRiver SlimX-350 it is replacing. I consider the SlimX a decent portable, but the Toshiba beats it handily, at a price that is little more than I payed for the SlimX a couple of years ago when it first came out.

-Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back