Toshiba SD-3960 clicking?
Apr 19, 2004 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
I've got to say, I've been very impressed with this little Toshiba player. It has a nice, deep soundstage, nice instrument separation and placement, and is very smooth and articulate for such a cheap player (granted, I've never heard any CDPs costing more than a couple hundred dollars, just consumer grade stuff like Sony and Harman Kardon).

Anyway, when the Toshiba is playing, it makes a very audible clicking noise, one or two clicks every second, and also makes a slight noise (but still noticeable) as if the CD were not centered properly. I believe the clicking is considered a common problem with the Tosh, but is there anything I can do about it? Or should I just exchange it at Best Buy and hope I get lucky with a new one? Thanks for any help guys!

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Mine doesn't tick...yet. It's pretty flimsy though. You might want to try another one.

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 6
I have used 3950, 3960, 4900 and they all tick/click when transport is playing disc. It is faint sound reminds me of sound from quartz watch/clock, no big deal.

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I have used 3950, 3960, 4900 and they all tick/click when transport is playing disc. It is faint sound reminds me of sound from quartz watch/clock, no big deal.

Oh. Okay. I turned everything off/down (tv and headphones) except the 3960 - got on my hands and knees and put my ear to it. I can hear the sound of the disk spinning. I sit about 18 inches from it, and its about 18 lower than my ears. Didn't notice before. Perhaps some are louder than others.

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel

Mine is definitely louder than a quartz watch or clock, to the point of being distracting during quiet passages in classical music. Guess I'll be exchanging it for another one to see if I can get a winner.

Apr 24, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 6
I am sorry you have this problem. You are right that this seems to be a common problem with Toshibas and not specific to a certain model or price point.

I believe that at some point it becomes hard to separate mechanical performance from audio performance, and your comment about distractions during quiet passages bears this out.

By all means exchange the unit if you can since the problem gets worse with time. My Toshiba started freezing when playing recordable DVD's and now sits unused in the basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back