Toshiba SD-3960 ASi mod
Oct 7, 2004 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tagosaku

500+ Head-Fier
Received Toshiba SD-3960 by ASi yesterday. Only have few hours on it, but compared with stock Phillips 963SA, it seems much smoother overall. The high is more comfortable and bass tighter. So far the best improvement is the mid being sweeter. Doug says it will take a while for the parts he added to break in. It will be fun to see how it improves from here.

If someone is looking for a relatively inexpensive mod, this could be worth checking out.

Oct 8, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Do you know which parts were added to it? I really loved my toshiba 3960 before it died out
frown.gif
I miss it alot already! I really was surprised by the detail and transparency of it.

Oct 8, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagosaku
Received Toshiba SD-3960 by ASi yesterday. Only have few hours on it, but compared with stock Phillips 963SA, it seems much smoother overall. The high is more comfortable and bass tighter. So far the best improvement is the mid being sweeter. Doug says it will take a while for the parts he added to break in. It will be fun to see how it improves from here.

If someone is looking for a relatively inexpensive mod, this could be worth checking out.

Who is ASI ?
Do they have website? (How to contact)
How much did mod package cost?

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Tagosaku, have you ever heard a modded 963sa. If you have, I'm really interested to hear your opinion between modded 963sa vs modded 3960. Currently I also have stock 963sa, on my next upgrade, I wonder will it be better to buy a modded 3960 or get my 963sa modded, Cost wise, buying a modded 3960 is about $100 cheaper than getting my 963sa modded.

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 13
This is from ASi website (http://www.asi-audio.com/ToshibaSD-3950.html)

The Mod package - $325 for modded unit

Rubycon ZL/ZA capacitors-
We replace about 23 voltage rail capacitors in all critical areas with Rubycon ZL/ZA series caps!

Harris Soft Recovery Diodes
We replace the stock rectifier and low voltage diodes with the Harris soft recovery type.

Analog Output Stage Mods -
We delete the Analog Output stage (all caps, remove opamp, etc) in favor for a set of N Series Blackgates.

Chassis Dampening-
We apply damping material sheets to the top lid to further reduce vibrations in the unit.

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

This is from ASi website (http://www.asi-audio.com/ToshibaSD-3950.html)

The Mod package - $325 for modded unit

Rubycon ZL/ZA capacitors-
We replace about 23 voltage rail capacitors in all critical areas with Rubycon ZL/ZA series caps!

Harris Soft Recovery Diodes
We replace the stock rectifier and low voltage diodes with the Harris soft recovery type.

Analog Output Stage Mods -
We delete the Analog Output stage (all caps, remove opamp, etc) in favor for a set of N Series Blackgates.

Chassis Dampening-
We apply damping material sheets to the top lid to further reduce vibrations in the unit.

I sent them e-mail to see if they will do 3950 mods to a Toshiba 4900. I recently just threw away stock 3950 and kept 4900 because it sounds just as good with more features. Don't want to invest too much, but for $250 be interesting to see how far this can go.
icon10.gif

(I will also ask about IEC outlet to allow aftermarket AC cord and using better RCA connectors for signal output)

Oct 9, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

RYCeT

I am on SACDmods waiting list - likely next month. So hopefully in a while, I can answer your question.

My question is, how does stock 3960 and 963sa compare?

Yeah, can't wait to hear that but I'm sorry that I can't answer your question since I also don't have 3960.

Oct 9, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I sent them e-mail to see if they will do 3950 mods to a Toshiba 4900. I recently just threw away stock 3950 and kept 4900 because it sounds just as good with more features. Don't want to invest too much, but for $250 be interesting to see how far this can go.
icon10.gif

(I will also ask about IEC outlet to allow aftermarket AC cord and using better RCA connectors for signal output)

I got quick response from Reference Audio Mods (aka ASI) and yes they do same mods for Toshiba 4900 same price. (Doug Jessie from RAM said he personally owns the modded 4900)

I would love to trick this unit out and see what it is fully capable of but......I'm not really using the Tosh 4900 currently so not sure how much use I would get from it unless I started a 3rd system.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 13
Awesome DA! I'm looking forward o your impressions. I've got a stock 3950 laying around... well.. to put it bluntly: fiscal irresponsibility rules! (j/k I'm good with money).

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to some good impressions--I would love move to a cheaper player and put the money toward better amplification in my rig... perhaps this is the key

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 13
sounds great, but I've been thinking of getting a 3950 and modding it myself and the cost of the mods don't come close to the $250 ASI charges.

I guess it's a good for non-DIYers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back