Toshiba Gigabeat S
Jul 15, 2006 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

thrive

Head-Fier
Any day now I'm planning on ordering a toshiba gigabeat S (30 gb) ...as soon as I buy my canon sd450. I've been kind of hesitant on buying the iM716 because of their size and I dont really like the extra volume adjuster..looks like it would just get in the way. So.. I'm either going to get the iM716, er-6, er-6p but I dont really kno which one has the best sound qualities and most bang for the buck. Any advice would be appriciated. thx

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrive
"Supports WMA Lossless, WMA, MP3, WAV, WMV, DivX, and JPEG formats; built-in FM tuner" Right from amazon's website...i think thats more than 3

4 audio formats
It doesn't natively support DivX. It needs to be converted to WMV video. 1 video format.
1 photo format

5 formats altogether.

Jul 20, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 21
I have the older Gigabeat and sound quality wise it creams the Ipod and Zen.

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
I have the older Gigabeat and sound quality wise it creams the Ipod and Zen.

are you talking about the F series? I thought the sound was weak, worse than the 5G.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 21
On the subject of these formats...

I just helped a friend figure out how to rip DVDs so they could go on her Gigabeat. I definatly ripped the DVD to xvid and it plays on her gigabeat. It seems that when you load them on there, it takes advantage of whatever codecs your computer can play to play stuff on the Gigabeat. Basically, if it plays in WMP on your computer, it plays on the gigabeat.

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 21
sweet, my WMP can play anything lol i got tons of codecs installed...most of the stuff im gonna be viewing on there i can prob get the wmv format for anyway ( dl.tv, hak5, diggnation, and some other video podcasts) I just hope the screen is going to be as kick ass as the creative's but i did some research and the toshiba's doesnt have as much colors as the zen:M...what are your thoughts on that?

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrive
sweet, my WMP can play anything lol i got tons of codecs installed...most of the stuff im gonna be viewing on there i can prob get the wmv format for anyway ( dl.tv, hak5, diggnation, and some other video podcasts) I just hope the screen is going to be as kick ass as the creative's but i did some research and the toshiba's doesnt have as much colors as the zen:M...what are your thoughts on that?

I saw a comparison of them at DAPreview.com a while back. The Gigabeat S's display looked about on par with the iPod's. They both are a bit less brilliant than the ZVM's screen. BTW, the ZVM only supports .mp3, .wma, and .wav (for audio codecs) as well. I don't even think it supports .wma lossless.

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 21
Yeah, that was a big drawback of the Zen Vision:M... no lossless support. I've messed around with the gigabeat S quite a bit -- definitely a good player, and nice-looking too, and thankfully it handles WMA Lossless. Of course, I'm not crazy about the button layout (the little buttons on the side are small and uniformly shaped...), but it's not a bad player.

I tested the gigabeat's battery life, though, and it wasn't great--I only got 11.5 hours of continuous playback without touching any of the buttons (MP3 files, 128 to 320Kbps, most somewhere in between). Of course, that doesn't mean a whole lot necessarily in the real world...

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 21
I have the gigabeat S60 and its a real cool player, the sound quility is great. adding songs to it is a breeze, you can either have Windows Medi Player add them, or you can simply drag them to the Music folder on the player and it will play them.
Any more questions, PM me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back