Toshiba’s HD-DVD (HD-A1SN) player makes a GREAT cd player!
Sep 21, 2006 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

James63

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using my Toshiba HD-DVD A1 player as my main stereo source for a few days now. I have been more than pleased with its performance as a CD player. I connected the HD-DVD player to my receiver’s Multi Channel Input threw the analog 5.1 outs using 6 RCA to 6 RCA IXOS. This connection bypasses all of the receiver’s processing and lets the HD-DVD player handle of the DAC.

In the end this thing is amazing. It is by far the best CD player I have heard (under $2000). It has much better bass depth and punch than my Onix player. The highs are more separated and cleaner. I also tried it out of my Gilmore lite to my Grados MS-2i and It sounded great. There was more bass than I have ever heard from my MS-2i. .

I don’t know what to say other than this thing is a GREAT buy. As just a CD player I think it is a great deal ($450) and when you get tired of music you can watch HD-DVDs
biggrin.gif

But here comes the bad news. They are discontinuing this player and bringing out two new players. One of the new players will be the “same” with a few things missing like analog out! In order to get the best out of the internal DAC you would need to use HDMI (1.3 when it come out here soon). So that is a downer. The other new player will have everything the A1 has and more but it will be $1000 instead of $500.

So buy now and don’t miss out on this great peace of equipment.

There have been a number of reports about this player not working well (firmware issues) but they have been fixed for the most part through updates (via CD and internet........use the CD though internet may not work and kill the player).

Here are a few links to other forums where people have discussed the A1 as a CD player

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=25018

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&page=1&pp=30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back