Toronto Winter Meet
Mar 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #257 of 322
Hey AllanHell.. got to audition the HDVD800 with the Naim DAC-V1 today.  Too close to call on the amp side and the the two don't pair well together with the Naim as the DAC.  Got a feeling its the HDVD800 or DAC-V1 but not both. We can try again at the meet. 
Story here: post #9199

On the other hand, have a Woo WA6 in da house and should be nicely broken in by the time the meet rolls around.  Still deciding whether to sell the Vali or not.  Will bring it to the meet.  If anyone is interested, bring cash :)

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #258 of 322
well, I can also bring my DAC too to compare. I do have a much smaller DAC1 and a much bigger SACD player.
If I got a desk, i will bring both.

Not sure if there is a space limitation per person per desk. If so, I need to find out what is the limit.

What phone did you use?

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #259 of 322
  Hey Jerg.. PM JAG87 - Date is March 29 12-6 with an hour before for prep.
No worries on HE560 - would be great to have you there - have seen your posts all over the place.

Lol, I PM'd Julian and as I expected, the capacity is (way beyond) full already; I don't know what made you think that I am somehow exempt from that.

Maybe next time.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #260 of 322
Next time it is. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  Maybe next time.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #261 of 322
Hey guys,

just wanted to throw this out there because we haven't really discussed it.  Should we be applying any rules/regulations for the event?

I don't want to be the guy to say it, but maybe we need some basic ones so as to keep the event enjoyable and prevent any misunderstandings.  I know common sense is generally the rule, but we all have different ideas of what that means.  If we clear it up at the start, we can take away any issues that may arise. 

For instance there will be a lot of expensive equipment there and people will be drinking.  I wouldn't want somebody to be inebriated and damaging anyone's gear.  It makes sense to know this already, but I'd prefer if people don't get sloppy drunk.  For disclosure, I'm probably bringing a bottle of wine or two to share.

Just a thought.  What do you guys think?

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #262 of 322
I'm not sure if this was discussed on the last meet in Toronto or a meet somewhere else, but hair products was another thing to consider. People were advised to wear as little as hair products as possible. This is especially beneficial to those with velour or cloth head equipment.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #263 of 322
Don't worry guys, I will describe a small set of rules in the reminder email I send out. It's best to do it the day before so that people have them fresh in their mind and have no excuse for forgetting to follow them.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #264 of 322
Hey Jag87,

I appreciate the initiative and like the idea of a reminder the day before the event, but I think it would be great to throw out and share some ideas about these rules.  Given that everybody is bringing their own equipment, they should have some input into the rules as well.

I also believe it would be a good idea to let people know well in advance of the event as well as a quick reminder the day before so that there are no surprises.  Even if the rules were established by a single person, I don't think it will hurt to provide them well in advance.  This way people can comment or offer suggestions if one of these rules don't meet an attendees' level of comfort.

I know I'd love to know the rules sooner than later especially if it's just a few of them. 
gs1000.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #265 of 322
Hey guys.  I just got a second hand UM Miracles.  Obviously they are not molded to my ears, but I can still manage to stick it in my ear and listen to them (I know, don't ask).

I am thinking of having them remolded to universals (still thinking about it), but would you guys want me to bring in the custom ones and try to shove it in your own ears and give them a listen before I send it off to UM for remolding?  If the interest is low, I might as well send it off this week and get it back earlier before I permanently reshape my ears.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #266 of 322
Alright then, here you go, copied straight from the 2014 SoCal meet with a few tweaks:

Meet Rules
  1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Do not unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Do not turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Do not move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own. There is ample space within the party room, a kitchen, as well as Starbucks/Pizza Nova downstairs for food and drink.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling other’s equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
    DO NOT wear hair gel or any cosmetic product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
  9. Please use common sense! To repeat the most important rule: treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.

Hey guys.  I just got a second hand UM Miracles.  Obviously they are not molded to my ears, but I can still manage to stick it in my ear and listen to them (I know, don't ask).

I am thinking of having them remolded to universals (still thinking about it), but would you guys want me to bring in the custom ones and try to shove it in your own ears and give them a listen before I send it off to UM for remolding?  If the interest is low, I might as well send it off this week and get it back earlier before I permanently reshape my ears.

I would be very interested in trying them out.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #267 of 322

Well, depends on how small the ear canal the previous owner has.
I also have a pair custom modded, my friends can never fit them in to get the bass out.....

P.S.
You should custom modded, not universal re-mod. These CIEMs are designs to insert deep and the best sound comes out of best seal. The might not sound better than SE846 if you just made them universal. The only price difference between these two mod is the impression fee.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #268 of 322

yes.....although how they will sound will be interesting given that the seal will not be 100%...in theory...

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #269 of 322
Meet Rules
  1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Do not unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Do not turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Do not move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own. There is ample space within the party room, a kitchen, as well as Starbucks/Pizza Nova downstairs for food and drink.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling other’s equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
    DO NOT wear hair gel or any cosmetic product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
  9. Please use common sense! To repeat the most important rule: treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.

That's good enough for me.  Some things there that I didn't think of.  Thanks!

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #270 of 322

Ouch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back