Toroid with tread for Millett hybrid?
Jan 8, 2006 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MiRaCL

Head-Fier
Hello

Im planning to buid a Millett Hybrid amp,and have sorted out all the parts,the only thing left i the psu.

Im going to use Tangents TREAD for this amp,so my question is,instead of using wallwart transformer,can i instead use a Toroid transformer?

This one -> http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/dyndok.p...dok=185981.htm

Mfr. Toroid
Toroidal core transformers with outputs from 20 to 600 VA. Small magnetic leak field, small losses, low temperature increase, low noise level, small dimensions and low weight are some of the advantages of the toroidal core transformer. Fusing is best performed on the secondary side with a fuse value as close as possible to the winding's rated current.
Simple installation as the transformers are supplied with centre casting, with embedded nuts which eliminate loose metal and rubber circular blanks.

Power: 20–600 VA
Primary voltage: 230 Vac
Frequency: 48–60 Hz
Isolation voltage: 4000 V
Certificates: UL
Manufacturing standard: EN61558
Connection: Cable, 200 mm
---------
Output 20 VA
Voltage drop: 20 %
Load losses: 4–5 W
Idling losses: 0.2 W
Temperature rise: 45 °C
Dimensions: Æ59×33 mm
Weight: 0.4 kg
Centre nut: M4

2×24 Vac 56-132-86

Is it possible to hook this up directly to the TREAD? Im thinking of putting the tread in own hammond case,or else i have to use a bigger case for the MH and put the tread in the same case as the MH,and then use a Wallwart transformer

So : 220V->Toroid->24V->Tread->MH ?

Thanks for the help
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 6
You can do that, absolutely. In fact, that is exactly how I hook up my Millet. 24v-0-24v toroid from Digikey hooked up parallel to a TREAD kit, all housed into a encasing line-lump style.

Just make sure you parallel the 24v leads so that you don't accidentally send 48v across the TREAD
eek.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 6
"make sure you parallel the 24v leads" how do i do this? I just have to connect the tread to one of the 24v outputs,and terminate the leads on the secondary output?
And yes,48v trough the tread would be å small disaster
eek.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 6
What you do is take the 2 24v leads and bunch them up, essentially treating them as one fat 24v lead.

If you know where your toroid came from you can find and check the manufacturer's spec sheet; it will likely tell you which leads go where specifically for a parallel connection.

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Here is a pic of how the output on the toroid is:

l5135.jpg

Won't bunching them up give 44V ? Looked at the toroid homepage,as i dont know the toroid part number,i had no success in finding on their site :/

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Bunch it up Green+Brown and Red+Blue, and you're all set
smily_headphones1.gif

Make sure you sheck the polarity of the output with a DMM before you stick it into the TREAD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back