Torn Over Players
Jun 11, 2005 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

somody

New Head-Fier
I will be getting a hard drive music player soon and still can't decide. These are my options:

1) Rio Karma -- my first choice, but i looked it over after seeing the hd issues and the problem of it not playing aac format.

2) iPod -- the 20G one (not modded)

3) iPod Photo -- obviously good, but pricey (30 or 60 gb)

4) other option is to scrap my music player and get a good new FTA receiver (like the dreambox 7020), or something to that effect (either way, this just means keeping my old generic 256mb flash player that corrupts itself every week because it hates macs [as do i])

Jun 12, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 16
So far, it seems as if people are leaning towards the Rio Karma. This is what I would pick if it were not for 2 things:

1) The HDD issues that are regularly coming up in the forums, and

2) The iPod's fabulous navigational system including the touch sensitive round thingy (the technical term) and the auto-sorting-by-music-tags-menus,

If anyone knows what the menus of the Karma are like, reply here

Jun 12, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 16
For the menu, go to dapreview.com. There you'll find out any and everything you could want to know about the karma. iPods, too.

FWIW, I've got 2 ipods which I gave to my kids and I personally have the karma. The karma does it for me. Love everything about it and that includes the retro look. Yes, there are concerns over the hd but I guess the sound makes it worth it to me. Hey, it may die on me tomorrow but I'm enjoying it. Listen to it daily in the drive to work.

Now while I'd take the karma over the ipod...actually I did....I'm personally waiting on the 60gb player from iAudio. At that point, I'll probably sell the karma or heck, I might just keep it for the nostalgia. Who knows.

Honestly, I don't think you can make a bad choice here. Simply put, I'd look at the features and decide which one did the most of what I want and go with it. Heck, you can always sell here or on ebay if you don't like it. Actually, I'd go ebay. For some reason, folks are willing to pay more for a used item like an ipod shuffle than it cost new at Amazon!!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by somody

The layout is very similar to the iPod, but there are a couple navigational differences. You can exit the menu system by just pressing the menu button repeatedly until you completely exit, wheras the iPod won't let you get out of the topmost level of the menu until you find and select the now playing option (I don't remember whether it's at the bottom of the main menu of the music menu, but in any event it's a bit of a hassle). The iPod will exit out of the menu system automatically if you don't touch anything for a few seconds. When you hit the menu button again, it takes you back to where you were (the now playing option if you exited the menu yourself, which is a very useless place to be). When you enter the menu system on the Karma, you are always at the topmost level. The Karma allows you to view the current playlist by pressing a single button, the iPod has you navigate through the menus. The Karma also allows you to edit (reorder, insert, append) the current playlist. The iPod allows you to append to the OTG playlist (the only playlist you can really add to) without kicking you out of the menu system. Overall, I prefer the Karma's navigation to the iPod's.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 16
I've actually heard rumors of a fault in the iPod Photo line, an inability to properly reproduce certain instrumental music at very high bitrates (aka, piano solo). I don't know the validity of these claims, but after reading a dozen-odd reports of this fault from different users, it was enough to sway my decision away from the Photo and to the iRiver.

Just something to keep in mind.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

So far, it seems as if people are leaning towards the Rio Karma. This is what I would pick if it were not for 2 things:

1) The HDD issues that are regularly coming up in the forums, and

2) The iPod's fabulous navigational system including the touch sensitive round thingy (the technical term) and the auto-sorting-by-music-tags-menus,

1) Fix'd.

2) Karma's menu system is just as easy, but it has much more options. It's also more practical.

Jun 12, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 16
Okay, so unless anyone at all can give me a reason not to, I am getting the Rio Karma 20 GB digital music player. Thanks to all people who aided me in making this decision.

So if you ever see someone on a bus in Toronto listening to music on a Rio Karma, it could be me, or it could be about 10000 other people in the city
wink.gif

Thanks.
280smile.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 16
i seriously considered the karma but I do not believe it has a line out that is portable, the only line out is on the docking station. If it had a something like the SIK made line out that the ipod had I'd be all over it.
If you have no plans to use a portable amp with it then it's a great choice but if you are going to use the cmoy on the road you's be amping the headphone signal or you would need to use the "home dock" and somehow rig it to stay put.

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 16
no, i'm not gonna be using a cmoy, mini cmoy, or zmoy any time soon and if i do, it would be at home where I can use the dock.

the karma is a definite option now, but I can't get over the fact that IT DOESN'T PLAY AAC. I dont really like anything else other than aac. Is there something that I can do that either is just as good as aac (usually use about 192 kbps) or something that enables me to use aac on my karma

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by somody
no, i'm not gonna be using a cmoy, mini cmoy, or zmoy any time soon and if i do, it would be at home where I can use the dock.

the karma is a definite option now, but I can't get over the fact that IT DOESN'T PLAY AAC. I dont really like anything else other than aac. Is there something that I can do that either is just as good as aac (usually use about 192 kbps) or something that enables me to use aac on my karma

Just use .ogg
It sounds great!!!!

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The D
Just use .ogg
It sounds great!!!!

yeah...i just tried ripping a cd on flac and it was much too annoying and frustrating..and i also read that flacs format drains battery faster as well, so i am better off with ogg vorbis which i just tried and boy...am I impressed...clarity is awesome (ps. i use quality 6.89, which is a nominal bitrate of 220 kbps)

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
I've actually heard rumors of a fault in the iPod Photo line, an inability to properly reproduce certain instrumental music at very high bitrates (aka, piano solo). I don't know the validity of these claims, but after reading a dozen-odd reports of this fault from different users, it was enough to sway my decision away from the Photo and to the iRiver.

Just something to keep in mind.

I've just Googled "fault in the iPod Photo line" and your post was the first hit.
eek.gif

Edit: The first hit is now this post!
eek.gif
eek.gif

"Rumors" are just that - Rumours.
Do you have any links?

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #15 of 16
With my early model Photo 60GB I've noticed the dreaded "hard drive spin-up" noise from the HP out ONLY with E3Cs (not with ER4P or HD650) - I think this is to do with the design of the plug allowing the ground pin to contact the metal case. This doesn't occur when the iPod is in an iSkin because the thin top of the iSkin prevents the plug contacting the case. Not a disaster.
Someone suggested nail varnish..
At very high volumes (but only on battery power) from the pocket dock out => amp => HD650 I have noticed all sorts of fuzz and crap - but it is "rumoured" that this is an issue with some pocket docks. I'll get round to testing this again myself some time.

As for "Piano Solo" distortion:
In preparation for going to see Dr John in Basingstoke last night (first leg of European Tour) I listened to "Dr John Plays Mac Rebbenack" twice yesterday.
This album is JUST solo piano (+ voice on a few tracks).
With ER4Ps I didn't notice any high-frequency distortion at all - sounded pretty respectable to me.
The gig was ace
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back