Torn on whether to get an AMP, DAC or soundcard
Mar 25, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #31 of 47

Even the multichannel -> headphone virtualization is doable in software sans soundcard. For instance, I use the built-in HRTF function of MPlayer for listening to movies, and it generally sounds great. The soundcard is useful if you happen to like the way its virtualization sounds for 5.1/7.1 sources better than what you can get from your software.

Exactly!
Since modern computers are already overflowing with processing power, software emulation is getting so popular now.

But having to chose between software emulation and hardware virtualization instead of through actual 5.1 speakers is kinda like chosing between looking at a photograph of the Grand Canyon and a movie of the Grand Canyon - neither come close to actually observing the real thing.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #32 of 47
edit: a lot of ppl dont volume match when they test additional gear, so adding an amp will increase the loudness & our brains interpret louder as higher sound quality. an amps job is only to provide power to underpowered headphones. the m100s are adequately powered by everything. It is an unnecessary piece of equipment for your headphones imo. for the dac, dacs generally can only tweak sound by like 5-10%. I dont think the M100 is really resolving enough for that 5-10% to be worth it. ymmv of course & other ppl r free to disagree. this is from my personal experience & personal testing. i can see a bass boost switch being fun though when you are portable & cannot EQ.

The demo pair where I bought my M100's and off my smartphone sound far better than my computer, and it wasn't just a matter of volume, so I find it hard to believe my M100's are getting all the power they need from my computer.

If the sound of your smartphone is good enough for you, I think the profit with a DAC (or amp) will be minimal for you. With an impedance of 32 ohm and a sensitivity of 103 dB, the M-100 doesn't really need an amp. The best way to improve sound quality would be getting a better headphone, but I'm not sure where you could find one with similar bass quantity+quality for your budget.

If you want to keep the M-100 anyway, and you want an improvement in sound (however small it may be), the E10K is a very good choice.

I'm not sure what you're saying- again, I don't plan on carrying an amp/dac around with me, and I spent $300 on these, so I don't plan on getting rid of them anytime soon.

And if anyone can clarify this further, what are all of the features E10K doesn't that the Schiit Fulla lacks? I don't know if I'll have a need for some of the features mentioned so far, but in lieu of how minimal the price difference is, I'll likely go for that. And if the Schiit Fulla has fewer features than the E10K, why do so many people compare them? It seems like the E10K would be the best bet even if one might not have full use of it's extra features, since the price difference is so minor.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #33 of 47
  The demo pair where I bought my M100's and off my smartphone sound far better than my computer, and it wasn't just a matter of volume, so I find it hard to believe my M100's are getting all the power they need from my computer.

I'm not sure what you're saying- again, I don't plan on carrying an amp/dac around with me, and I spent $300 on these, so I don't plan on getting rid of them anytime soon.

And if anyone can clarify this further, what are all of the features E10K doesn't that the Schiit Fulla lacks? I don't know if I'll have a need for some of the features mentioned so far, but in lieu of how minimal the price difference is, I'll likely go for that. And if the Schiit Fulla has fewer features than the E10K, why do so many people compare them? It seems like the E10K would be the best bet even if one might not have full use of it's extra features, since the price difference is so minor.

Full spec break-down below. Red is differences. Blue is additional features that the E10K has or additional technical specifications/details that the Fulla provides.

useful reference link on how to properly measure performance: http://www.rane.com/note145.html

E10K
Dac Chip: PCM5102 with a linear internal filter
USB Receiver: TE7022 USB receiver
Handles PCM Files up to 24-bit/96 kHz
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz

Amplifier Specs:
Output stage:: opamp LMH6643
Output Amplitude: 200 mW (32 Ω/THD+N<1%)**
**Not specified if this measurement is continuous average power derived from RMS, can be peak power (maximum power observed over time) which may not be an accurate indicator for real-world performance
MAX output voltage: 7.39 Vp-p
MAX output current: 81.6 mA

THD: <0.006% (1 kHz) [did not specify frequency range test was done at or level]
IMD: not specified
S/N Ratio: ≥108 dB
Crosstalk: ≥70 dB (1 kHz)
Output Impedance: <1.04 Ω
Channel imbalance: <0.4 dB
Gain: 1.6 dB (GAIN=L); 8.8 dB (GAIN=H); [Selectable Low/High Gain feature]

Other: 
  1. ALPS Potentiometer Volume Control
  2. Micro USB Connector; Bus Powered
  3. Front-Panel 1/8" Headphone Output; Coaxial Digital Output
  4. Selectable Bass Boost; 
  5. Dimensions: 19.1 mm×80 mm×21 mm
  6. Weight: 78 g (2.75 oz) [lighter]
  7. 1-year limited warranty

Schiit Fulla
Dac Chip: AKM AK4396 with Analog Devices ADA4610-based filter stage
USB Receiver: C-Media CM6631A
Bit Depth and Sample Rates Supported: 16/44.1 to 24/96, including 24/88.2
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB

Amp Specs:
Output stage: TI LMH6643 high-current rail-to-rail amplifier

Maximum Power:
16 ohms: 250mW RMS per channel
32 ohms: 200mW RMS per channel***
50 ohms: 175mW RMS per channel
300 ohms: 40mW RMS per channel

***[Complete power ratings in continuous average power ratings derived from RMS at each output impedance]

THD: <0.004%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.005%, CCIR
SNR: >101db, A-weighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: >-67dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: Less than 0.4 ohms [lower output impedance is better]
Gain: 1.5 (3.5db)

Other:
  1. Analog Volume Potentiometer
  2. Headphone Output Size: 1/8"
  3. Power Supply: Via USB, with +/- 5V rails via high-current negative rail generator with inductor filtering and local regulation
  4. Power Consumption: 0.8W typical
  5. Size: 2.5 x 1.2 x 0.45”
  6. Weight: 3 oz (85 grams)
  7. 1-year limited warranty
  8. Made in the USA

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #34 of 47
Personal Summary of Differences: Basically, the E10k has Coaxial Digital Output, Selectable Bass Boost, and Selectable Low/High Gain features over the Schiit Fulla. Choose E10K if those three features or the small difference in price is important to you. The Fulla provides a better and more comprehensive spec sheet on its performance. They use different dac chips and usb receivers, but people say that implementation is the key and it is hard to judge simply based on model. Hard to judge the real-world performance differences between specs, but I personally would feel more confident about Fulla's measurements and performance if doing a blind buy.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #35 of 47

Are you perhaps still using Windows Media Player? If you are, I recommend you switch to Foobar2000. It could make a significant difference in SQ.

I have nothing to add to what money4me247 said about the E10K and the Fulla.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #36 of 47
  Are you perhaps still using Windows Media Player? If you are, I recommend you switch to Foobar2000. It could make a significant difference in SQ.

I have nothing to add to what money4me247 said about the E10K and the Fulla.

I use winamp, I've never liked the layout of foobar2000 (though I probably just haven't bothered to look into how to customize it.) I've never heard of there being an SQ difference in media players before, and I can't say I notice one between winamp and foobar.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #38 of 47
Sometimes more critically than changing your media player, you should first make sure your default soundcard or on-board sound doesn't have any 'effect's enabled.
Many of them do by default.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #39 of 47
Very true. I still have WMP; I once made my parents listen to the same song on Winamp and WMP (older version), coming from the same PC and they both agreed that Winamp sounded better.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #40 of 47
So, I made another thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/760673/playing-music-sound-from-your-computer-through-your-smartphone) about the possibility of using a smartphone instead of an AMP/DAC, but after giving it some thought, I think I'll just go ahead with one of these AMP/DAC combos for sure. Plus, I don't want to spend too much time fooling around with that, since it turns out my motherboard is very likely dying, and static has begun to develop in my headphones. And on that note, to what extent can an external AMP/DAC combo can bypass issues from a failing motherboard? The static is fairly minor at this point, but I can only imagine it'll get worse.

With the features money4me247 posted, the only features on the E10K I'm interested in are the bass and gain adjustment, but are these different from what you can adjust from your sound control panel? If not, I don't see much of a use for the extra features of the E10K, but then I came across this video comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEFYlfKf8A

The reviewer is adamant how the Schiit Fulla has definite better sound, but in addition to it's lack of features, it has poorer build quality, with things like a terrible volume adjustment knob, overly sharp edges and it gets hot, unlike the Fiio- nothing about overall durability though. The headphones they use are Brainwavz HM5, a neutral pair, so I'm guessing those might sound different on both of these compared to my pair. I'm on the verge of choosing one of these two, but I'm still a little uncertain on what to go for. Any other pointers/thoughts (or comparisons that have turned up) would be appreciated.

And one other thing, but a cheap amp from Radioshack I tried out before caused my headphones to noticeably rattle on high volumes- is this to be expected with most amps, dacs and combos?

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #41 of 47
rattling wld indicate poor source files or poor headphone quality. ...or way too high volume level where the headphones cannot handle it. usually not an issue when the amplifier.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #42 of 47
I went ahead and ordered a Fiio E10K, and I think I'll order the Fulla once it gets restocked on Amazon on the 5th, and send back what I don't want. But at the same time, while I feel like I'll end up with one of these two, I'm still not 100% sure. What tears me is of course the apparently better audio quality of the Fulla yet it's poorer build and lack of features. What sort of AMP/DAC combos are out there that basically have what both of those have and are under $200, if anyone can recommend?

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #43 of 47
  I went ahead and ordered a Fiio E10K, and I think I'll order the Fulla once it gets restocked on Amazon on the 5th, and send back what I don't want. But at the same time, while I feel like I'll end up with one of these two, I'm still not 100% sure. What tears me is of course the apparently better audio quality of the Fulla yet it's poorer build and lack of features. What sort of AMP/DAC combos are out there that basically have what both of those have and are under $200, if anyone can recommend?

you could try checking out the usb hub style dac-amps like the audioquest dragonfly v1/v2 or meridian explorer v1. both are $150 or less. there is also the hifimediy desktop amp/dac combos that are all sub-$200. You can get the Fiio portable dac/amps as well such as the Fiio E70K or E17 or their new E17K. Creative has amp/dac combos under $200 as well. Another option is picking up an inexpensive standalone dac (such as the sub-$100 Stoner Acoustic UD120) and adding on a amp.

For $200, I think your best choice for build quality and sound performance would be a Schiit Magni and Modi stack. shipping will make you go a little cover.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #44 of 47

If you are not happy with the E10K, then I agree with money4me247: step up to the Modi 2/Magni 2. Otherwise, you are likely to get only a small improvement out of the Fulla.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #45 of 47

If you end up keeping the E10K instead of the Fulla, you could go a step further get the E11K also (E11K is around $60) and use them both as a combo. The E10K/E11K is one upgrade path you could take..the 11 even comes with the short 3.5mm dual male cable and bands to ''piggyback'' the E10K/E11K together.

Basically, the E11K is a standalone-amp that is supposed to sound better as an amp than the E10K..more neutral, according to the soundnews E10K/E11K article.

Link: http://soundnews.ro/2014/08/15/fiio-e10k-and-e11k-premium-sound-for-a-tiny-price/

The E10K can function as a seperate DAC.

In a nutshell: Headphone [~] E11K [Aux In] ~ [Line Out] E10K [USB] PC           ~ = Cable

Of course its probably inferior compared to something like a Modi/Magni..but still for 130-140 bucks..probably worth considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back