Torn Between Two Lovers, DT250-80 & MDR-V6
Oct 26, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
I hae a question; Whay do guys on Head-Fi not like the V700DJ's? They have superb isolation. I am looking into some nice cans that are less than $150 but have nice bass response but excellent isolation and all metal build. Could one of you headphone-junkies please point me in the right direction?? thanxs.....

The V700DJ's are made mostly of silver-coloured plastic. And the covers on the swivel joints are prone to cracking after a few months of moderately hard use.

Sound-wise, they're far from neutral or accurate. Mids and highs are woolly and grainy, and the bass - too much mid-bass and not enough low bass.

Oct 26, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 32
You totally lost me on the build quality issue. My Beyer 250-80s have just survived 2 months in my backpack. I am a semi-homeless college student, these are my only phones. I use my backpack as a pillow. The Beyers seem unaffected. Are the Sonys made out of titanium or something..?

They also sound great. I don't think there's too much midrange. The highs are slightly lessened, which is nice if you have sensitive, (undamaged) ears, and extended listening to too much high frequencies gives you earaches.
The bass rules. It goes damn low, if powered correctly.

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by squishedtoad
You totally lost me on the build quality issue. My Beyer 250-80s have just survived 2 months in my backpack. I am a semi-homeless college student, these are my only phones. I use my backpack as a pillow. The Beyers seem unaffected. Are the Sonys made out of titanium or something..?

They also sound great. I don't think there's too much midrange. The highs are slightly lessened, which is nice if you have sensitive, (undamaged) ears, and extended listening to too much high frequencies gives you earaches.
The bass rules. It goes damn low, if powered correctly.

Quoting from your previous post :
"I've had my Beyer 250-80's about 3 weeks, and I absolutely love them. (I should say that my experience is limited to these and grado SR-60s)"

Try others and you'll see why some of us have issues concerning the build quality of a $170 phone. It's true that Beyer uses fairly flexible plastic so it bends rather than snaps. Although undoubtedly properly screwed together, the moulds are of a very low quality given the price tag and it lacks some detail points that other phones - the HD280 for example - manages while being cheaper.

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #20 of 32
heh, that's a pretty old post of mine you found, Magicthyse.

Actually, a friend of mine got 280's after I got him addicted to good headphones through the 250-80s. I didn't get the impression they were tougher (because of the flexibility issue), but it's true, they do have the folding option, so I could say that perhaps the beyers are "lacking in features" relative to their price.. although I wouldn't put it as "low quality". I've also handled and heard senn HD600s, (unfortunately, underpowered) and I doubt they would have come out of the hell I've put the beyers through in as good shape. I may have at least a little more experience than you think.

Not trying to be a "fanboy" here, but I think if you define "quality" as durability, the beyers have proven to be of very high quality.

Oct 29, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #23 of 32
It's not fair Duncan gets all these interesting closed cans so cheap over in the UK.
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #24 of 32
Goober...

There are plenty of things that we don't get for cheap in the UK...
frown.gif
(but... I do see your point
evil_smiley.gif
)

Well, i've decided, that it is the DT250s for me... the synergy of my system is nothing short of compelling
biggrin.gif

My Cardas cable was shipped last night, so that should be here by the end of the week... if that doesn't kick-start my Senns, they'll be going into the for-sale forum... as, as it stands i'm more than happy with just the Beyers
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #26 of 32
While the "build quality" of the V6 may not be immediately apparent in a side by side comparison with other 'phones, here's the real test. Use your V6s. Abuse them (mine have been dropped, kicked, rolled over with my chair, etc.), and then let me know in, say, 15 years how you feel about the V6's build quality. YES THEY WILL LAST THAT LONG! During that decade and a half you'll probably have to change the ear-cushions once or twice, but nothing having to do with their ability to reproduce sound will be affected in that decade and a half (unless you run them over with your car, or drop them in your swimming pool. Then all bets are off! But it would take abuse about that extreme to do them any real harm, in my opinion).

You don't judge build quality by looking at 'em. You judge it by using them year, after year, after year. The V6 (in my experience) is like the old Ampex 600 series open-reel tape recorders. You don't retire them because they no longer work. You retire them because you've found something "fancier" and WANT TO SWITCH (in the case of radio stations, many used their 600 series recorders for 40 years before finally retiring them, IN WORKING CONDITION, when the switch was made to "something digital").

The reason I KNOW that the V6 will take MASSIVE abuse for at least 15 years is that MINE HAVE (and during most of that time I did a daily five hour morning radio show, followed by by 4-5 hours or radio production work, while using the V6 THE ENTIRE TIME). Mine have been used THOUSANDS of hours. And not only do they sound like new, amazingly they still LOOK LIKE NEW. Not a scratch on 'em (despite hundreds of brushes against the rough metal windscreen on Electro Voice RE-20 and Sennheiser 421 microphones). Will the Beyerdynamics last that long? WELL, I used a DT-990 Pro for about 3 months once, and the electrical connection to the right earpiece became intermittent. That's better than Grado SR-80s, which I used on-air for about a month once before they DIED! I'm telling you, on-air use in a radio station is HELL for headphones. But the V6 never breaks a sweat!

Oct 30, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Goober
Have you tried them on a non-amped source? Both the V6 and the DT250-80 are always being recommended for just such a use.

Is there any headphone you just don't like?
tongue.gif

To me the V6 sounds a little bit better un-amped, the Beyers appear (to me) a little congested...

Bear in mind that I said a little ~ personal choice probably pays a part in that!

Oh, and Goober ~ yes there is... Grado SR-125!

Mike... Good to see you!

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 32
Extremely impressive. I'm off travelling for a while to some really odd places (where even a 56K modem connection is an iffy proposition
eek.gif
) and I was thinking of taking the Etys, hopefully with me soon, with me. I might just take the 7506 if they arrive in time
biggrin.gif

Beyer 280's?
biggrin.gif

I neither love nor hate the 250-80's. I know they sound good, but I'm quite sanguine about it. To me, they don't sound as good as the ravers here make out. At $170, relative to other phones, I think they're extremely average headphones. For £110, I think they're OK. I know some places where you can get them for £80, in which case they're good - no more, no less.

I can give you reasons for exactly why I think this, but I might just bore your pants off. I did run quite a few tests, including subjective / relative listening, physical, electrical, drop tests, etc and this is my own opinion.

What I really do like about it is the comfort, in terms of both sound and physical characteristics for long-term listening. Since most of my listening however is in (max) 2 hours or so sets, this isn't really an issue for me. The other thing I do find quite handy is that they are the most low-profile 'big' phones I have. Sometimes it's good not to stand out
biggrin.gif

Contrary to popularly bandied about myths, the Beyer does NOT work well unamped on portable equipment. It will work, and to some here it may even sound good, but we're talking horses for courses and the 250's need an amp of some description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back