Torn between two (budget) sources...
Apr 30, 2006 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
At the moment I don't have the funds to buy a new source, so I'm stuck between these two:

(1) Toshiba SD-3980 DVD player. Excellent PRaT and bass/treble extension, good resolution but *very poor* transparency and background blackness, poor front panel readout (displays only track number).

(2) Rotel RCD-855 CDP. Poor PRat and bass/treble extension, poor resolution, excellent transparency and background blackness, excellent front panel readout.

Ideally I'd be using an A/B switchbox (I like the Rotel for classical because of its transparency and background blackness) but don't have one and am unable to build one. Might ask a DIYer to build me one, if I knew somebody willing to do it (I don't).

Other than upgrading to a new source, I'm stuck with the strengths/weaknesses of these two players. Wish there were some way to combine their strengths
frown.gif
. I'm stuck with either great PRaT and enjoyment factor (Toshiba) with REALLY BAD transparency, or a relatively uninvolving sound (Rotel) with excellent transparency and an actual workable front panel readout and good build quality.

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 8
There is the option of modding one of the players and selling the other one. Do you DIY anything?

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 8
For increased 'blackness', how about an attenuator going into the headamp or amplifier? Not ideal but may produce a blacker background for you. (Sorry if this is a daft idea!)

Ian

May 1, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
There is the option of modding one of the players and selling the other one. Do you DIY anything?

Unfortunately not
frown.gif

P.S. modded DVD players don't come up all that often, and it would be sold before I could get the money for my other two players... so it's not an option. I may have to think about selling these players anyway and getting a better source though, but I'd only net around $150 for both.

May 4, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't know if this idea is feasible, but if I were in your position I'd consider selling the CDPs and a pair of cans to fund a better source. A source upgrade could effectively give new life to the remaining cans, increasing the enjoyment factor a bit more over a longer term than might be possible by keeping an existing source. I know you know this, but it bears repeating (as I've lost sight of it several times myself) that a source change can put a completely new face on an old system (cans included, of course).

But yeah, I don't know if that's an option...just figured I'd throw it out there. Good luck, whatever you do.

May 4, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 8
I'd consider selling the Rotel if it were in perfect condition, but unfortunately the power light occasionally goes dim and the unit loses the ability to respond to the remote control when this happens (sound is not affected). Seems like either a component is loose or failing, so I probably wouldn't get much for the unit. It's gonna be awhile until I can get another source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back