Torn between DT770 and DT880
Jun 11, 2008 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Trancefreak

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there ^^

I's been a while since I've posted here, still I'm asking for you opinion

I currently have a 2005 Beyer DT770 32Ohm. Great 'phone for what I do ( Electronic music, Gaming, Movies )
But here's the problem... I currently have gone into light classic instrumental music, acoustic guitar, and piano solo's... And mt DT770 is holding me back, I just miss half of the song
frown.gif
. So I'm looking for a more or less equal performer to the DT770 when it comes to bass ( might be a little less ) but with better highs/ mids. better soundstage is allways nice too ^^.
I would love to get my hands on a DT880 but it is said to lack the punching bass and have more of a high bass ( the ones I dislike btw ).

Any other recommendations? My budget is 250 euro - 300 US dollar.
My equipment is a Auzentech prelude - Little dot MKII

thx a lot!

Edit: I've just discovered the DarkBeyer version!
Can anyone tell me how an (open) standard DarthBeyer fares against a DT990?
thanks !

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 10
im a beyer fan but recently found the ultrasone phones to be good, very good as well. i started in AT land but i am a trance person and AT do not produce two things I need in my trance: perfect stage and fast hypnotic treble. mind you, i have only used up to the w1000 phone.

i have the dt880 from 2003 and the dt770 from 2003. for all music types regardless of bass quanity, i prefer the dt880. it is spacious, fast and has a sweet driver sound. the dt770 is great too but it is my throw around phone: it sounds good but it is a bit dark and some echoes that i would like to have just disappear.

at: i suppose if i cared for rock guitar i might think of it. but op looks to be in to more acoustic. the dt880 is fantastic for acoustic as it has an energy that the strings all trap and want to get out. however, dt880 is far from the bass shepherd the dt770 is so i cannot recommend it there. when i used it with my heed (loads of power), it definately sung with bass but unpowered they are rather modest.

im sorry to the person who suggested the AT - they are well made phones (other than the silly 3d wing design) and comfortable but far from my preference.

i find it funny that the op does not mention trance as a preference

Jun 12, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 10
I ve been into trance for very long...and i noticed Open can never be better than Closed for trance.

Tried out HD515, HD555 and compared them to HD280.

HD280 are simply better for Trance due to Tight Bass

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Okay, Finially managed it back to this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Meanwhile, I had tha chance to listen to the DT770, DT880 and DT990 at a store ( all 2K5 editions ).
While It was ' only ' classical music I listened to, I had a good immage of how thay sound. When I picked the DT990, I was in love...

It wass like the DT770 with the details, mids and highs of a DT880 ( as far as I could hear ). The bass was less punchy, but I think I can live with that.
If not, I'll buy myself the 770 pro 80Ohm at another time
smily_headphones1.gif
What I more liked about the DT990 was that the bass was really deep and ' short ' , deeper than the DT770 ( I thought this was weird ) and also not as streched as the DT770.
So I guess the DT770 is good for Games and movies where you'll feel the bass more than hear
wink.gif

And then the DT990 as a good ( for my taste ) allround headphone.

My taste includes
Elektro, Euro-Techno, Dance, Retro-trance, House and Retro-House, Slow and Emo Rock ( Like 3 doors down, etc... ) Piano sonata's and moviemusic.

I'm I on the right track Or could I expect suprises?

thx in advance

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ve been into trance for very long...and i noticed Open can never be better than Closed for trance.

Tried out HD515, HD555 and compared them to HD280.

HD280 are simply better for Trance due to Tight Bass

i think it goes for personal taste. i have not found a closed headphone that is not boomy for bass other than the dj1pro. personally i have found that i like a very open presentation but i know that many prefer a harder or thicker bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back