Torn between a LisaIII XP and P-51 Mustang. What to do!
Aug 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

The Rino

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone with suggestions on either/or for me Senn IE8's. If the difference is big enough from my Hornet I'm thinking I could tolerate some low level "hiss" from the Lisa if there is any. Skylab's review just makes the choice more difficult for me.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 16
Anyone?

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 16
You do realize that for the Lisa III you need large cargo pockets or a carrying bag. The P51 fits in an small pocket or in your hand. So how large a rig do you wish to carry? Yes sound quality is important but if you rig is so large you avoid carrying it what good is it if you leave it at home all the time? Just some food for thought.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 16
I got to hear the Lisa III at the last Seattle meet, and it was an excellent amp. It drove the HD650/600/580's I listened to through it very well, but, as other people have said, it was pretty huge. I wouldn't exactly say that it's good for portable use unless you have some type of carrying bag, or very large pockets.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 16
Go for P-51. It will be perfect for your IE8's. I have both and the LISA is only better when using full size cans. With IEM's and for portable use the P-51 is the winner in every aspect.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 16
well the only real question here is what are you willing to carry?? the Lisa III is to my ears still superior to any portable I have heard to date, even for IEMs; the difference becomes even clearer when using fullsize cans or harder to drive IEMs though. the IE8 are pretty damn sensitive though; I would maybe consider waiting for the pico slim with its dead quiet pot. possibly even the shadow, but I have a feeling the pico slim will be the pick of those two, having owned the pico before and compared several RSA amps to it. the mustang wasnt among those, but there is certainly a RSA house sound and its not for me. the Lisa III is clearly superior to my D10, even driving the low impedance JH13, but for super portable, the P slim is first on the agenda.

I have no problem carrying the Lisa with me most all places, but there is the odd occasion I want something small to take to the beach or bush-walking etc. I carry a bag and wear jackets a lot and my Lisa rig; although not small enough to fit in a tight jeans pocket, is small enough for it not to be an issue with my small rig bag or the bag I carry with me pretty much everywhere anyway; the SQ makes it well worth the effort to me and the ability to drive my HD600 pretty well is awesome for my transportable holiday rig

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the only real question here is what are you willing to carry?? the Lisa III is to my ears still superior to any portable I have heard to date, even for IEMs; the difference becomes even clearer when using fullsize cans or harder to drive IEMs though. the IE8 are pretty damn sensitive though;

I agree SQ-wise. The LISA is the best by far and does everything better. But I have to say that when I go for a bus-ride with my ER-4S the P-51 really does a great job and the sound is really great. So I find it hard to convince myself to take the LISA with me for transportable use. But yes - it can be done.

Another thing is for flight transportation for long flights overseas. I always want to bring as little hand-luggage as possible. And with at least 50 hours on the P-51 battery the LISA stays at home and the P-51 does the job. That is why I recommend the P-51 for transportation because for me the convenience of the P-51 outweighs the better SQ of the LISA. I am glad I have both though - I could never live without the LISA
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 16
not sure exactly, the enclosures have been finished apparently, so I expect Justin to start a pre-order thread sometime in the next month or so, gonna have to get in quick though if you diont want to wait a while on the pre-order list. i've registered my interest already, but not sure when he'll make the announcement.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 16
What about something like a P3+? Getting the LISA lll, for IEMs, wont be worth it as a cheaper amp will probably drive them to their potential. Their potential might not be 100%, but it wont be 100% with the LISA either, but paying the double, sholuld get you atleast 30% more potential, but they wont with the LISA.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 16
hmmm well i'm assuming youve owned the lisa then??? since when has paying double got you 30% more potential at this end of the market?? I do agree that buying solely for IE8, with no view to using fullsize or high-end customs might be overdoing it, but I certainly havent heard another portable that comes close to it; and i've heard a lot!!! the problem with ibasso stuff is, although it sounds great (their top offerings do anyway) the build leaves something to be desired. on my D10, the optical and both minijacks died one by one within a few months of owning it. its on its way back for RMA service now. but since it only comes with 1 year warranty thats not very comforting. even as is, I had to ship it back to china for service, which cost me $45AUD to get it there quickly. meaning the thing has cost me $350 total so far along with the opamps to get it sounding its best (about $150 for various combinations) and once the warranty runs out i'm stuffed.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 16
AMP3 is the right candidate for your requirment. It's size is 74 X 40 x 20MM, maybe the smallest amp in the market.
AMP3 is a DAP/ AMP combo with 100 hours battery. plus a pair of stock hi fi earphone.
May owners and I have pairing the AMP3 with IE8, it is perfectly.

please refer to more comments on AMP3.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...8/index51.html

P.S the headfier's conclusion on the synergy of amp3 with various phones.
Good Synergy (sounds better with the AMP3 than other sources):
1. Mingo WM2 (balances the sound; too bassy with other sources)
2. KSC75
3. IE8
4. PAA-1 (buds included with the AMP3)
5. Philips SHE9500
6. Denon C710 (with impedance adapter)
7. Koss KSC-35
8. Sony MDR-F1
9. Westone ES3X
10. Denon AH-D6 Orthodynamic

OK synergy (on the same level with the AMP3 as other sources):
1. Denon C710 (sounds better, but some hiss due to sensitivity)
2. ADDIEM
3) Yuin PK3

No synergy (sounds better with other sources):
1. Etymotic ER4S
2. NuForce NE-7M
3. NuForce UF-30 (harshness and brightness accentuated with AMP3)

Maybe people can cut and paste this list when adding to it so original info is retain

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 16
but i've just been reading about the amp 3 and from all reports it hisses with sensitive IEMs; IE8 is one of the most sensitive IEMs around. does it hiss with IE8??

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 16
The SQ of both amps are different, while LISA comes with very transparent sound, forward mid, adjustable bass. But it only support RCA input may affect its portability. P-51 is a very good quality small portable amp, about 1/8 of the LISA III, long battery running time, also good sound quality with RSA housing signature. With side by side comparison, the P-51 is a little weaker than the LISA III in transparency and bass punchy. Consider different positioning of these two amps, it is not difficult to make the decision in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back