Topping vs iFi DACs
Oct 23, 2018 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

carlmart

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone performed any comparison tests between Topping and iFi products?

Starting with similar prince range and characteristics, for instance.

I'm not sure how to search for this on Head-Fi.

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 5
I've had a brief experience with the Topping Dx7s dac/amp, but none of their stand alone DACs, I'm afraid.
Was looking to replace my aging Burson 160D and the DX7s was in the mix against Shiit Jotunheim, Ifi micro BL and NFB11 from Audio GD.

I really liked the features on the Topping - balanced, remote, good volume control, but the I've found the sound a bit underwhelming and really disliked it's high output impedance with many of my headphones. Compared to the other 3 dac/amps it fared well only against the Jotunheim, which I've liked the least.
I ended up choosing the Ifi micro BL, which to me sounded quite a bit more resolving and refined. Hope that helps.

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. Did you have the chance to compare them through their line outputs?

I will never be using them as headphone amps, only as DACs fed into my amplifier, and speakers.

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Yes, line out results were similar to the headphone outs, but the differences were not as stark. My favorite was still Ifi, with Audio-gd a close 2nd.
I found differences to be very dependent on the resolving power of the speakers. With JBL LSR305's it was difficult to tell the DAC's apart, they were very close. I thought Ifi provided more ambiance detail and dynamics, but I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart in a blind test.
With the Focal Shape65 speakers, on the other hand, differences were more clear and Ifi did it for me.

If you only need the DAC section, probably Topping provides more bang for your buck. Massdrop had/has the D50 at a very attractive price and from what I understand it's a bit better than the DX7s built in DAC.
If budget can be stretched, I would go for the ifi micro DAC2.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 5
The micro DAC2 has no coaxial input, only USB.

The problem I have is that I can't find any iFi China seller that will ship to Brazil, where I live. Shipping from the USA would end up with a very expensive final price, almost two times, because Amazon ships only by courier, and then I would certainly have to pay import taxes here. They do not air-mail. Chinese sellers, like Bang Good ship by mail, but do not sell iFi.

Topping can be air-mailed from China, and it's quite likely it will not go through customs, saving a lot.

On the Topping D50 thread it's now being discussed a way to bypass the internal DC-DC switch supply, which might bring good improvements to the sound.

One of iFi designers, Thorsten Loesch, is my friend. So I would like to try one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back