Topping TP41 with Tangent Evo E5
Feb 17, 2014 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

joq3

New Head-Fier
I'm in need of a desktop amplifier to drive my Tangent Evo E5 speakers with: http://www.tangent-audio.com/en/model/106_EVO-E5-bookshelf-speaker.html

Will a Topping TP41 be enough?

What I need from the amplifier is two inputs and a headphone jack. And a remote if possible (optional).

Does anyone of you have a Topping TP41 and can share your thoughts?

What's the quality like, and is it good internal components?

Thank you in advance!

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm driving a pair of Dayton Audio B652 with a TP-21, which is rated with similar output as the TP-41 and they're plenty loud. B652 sensitivity is 87 while your Tangents are 86, so s/b ok there.

What source and how big a room do you want to fill?

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm driving a pair of Dayton Audio B652 with a TP-21, which is rated with similar output as the TP-41 and they're plenty loud. B652 sensitivity is 87 while your Tangents are 86, so s/b ok there.

What source and how big a room do you want to fill?

Nice to hear. The room is not very big. Normal size bedroom. Sadly the TP-21 only has one input. Would rather buy that, because of the better price. But I can only find the TP-41 that matches my needs.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 9
I did a double check on other Topping product and I found the Topping TP-30. This would work well for me, if I use the USB input for my computer and the analog input for the Airplay.

I'm not that good at the specifications. But will this be able to drive my Tangent Evo E5 speakers as well as the TP-40?

Thank you!

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 9
But I can only find the TP-41 that matches my needs.

Yeah, I figured that you needed the input options that the TP-41 offers.

Btw I've got the volume of the PC player (iTunes in this case) set at max with the Win 7 volume at about 2/3 and am using the TP-21 ctl to adjust Loudness. Folks here recommend keeping player max....

Enjoy!

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 9
well if you need two analog inputs there are three options from topping:

1. the TP22 with two RCA inputs
  2. the TP41 like you mentioned
  3. or the TP60 if you need more watts (what I doubt you'll ever need for one room unless you plan to throw a huge party)

if you want one analog and one digital, then:

1. the new VX1 which I would prefer over the TP30 (VX1 has better DAC and headphone amp)
  2. or the TP32 because it has the remote you'd like to have

I personally wouldn't recommend you the TP41. I have it and it is very sensitive with its inputs. If it picks up any noise, it amplifies it - makes you crazy. I tried it with the onboard sound and a xonar dx - with both it produced noise (noise on the speakers and the head-amp, even at low volume). Only if connected to a macbook air it was noise-free (probably very good engineering at apple). also the specs say its output-power is 25 watts. I also have a SMSL SA-S3 which has also 25 watts but can go much louder (and produces no noise at the same sources). I'm very disappointed by the TP41. Or maybe I was unlucky and its just my unit which is faulty.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 9
But will this be able to drive my Tangent Evo E5 speakers as well as the TP-40.

That really depends on what you mean by "drive" them. All of these t-amps will drive those speakers to sufficient volume to get very loud when sitting at a computer. Are the t-amps going to fill a living room with great volume? No. But for desktop computer usage? Yes. :)

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Awesome replies.
Since starting  this thread I have changed my mind from the TP41.
First on my list is the Topping VX1, but sadly there isn't much information about it. But I guess it is good right?
Alternative two is the TP30, but this seems like an older version of the VX1, and why not go for the newest technology for the "same" price?

TP32 doesn't look as good with it's screen and digital controls. Just one good thing, the remote. But I can live without it!

So I think I will go for the VX1

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 9
Here is a thread about the VX1, take a look there. I own the VX1 since yesterday. I changed because of the described problems I had with the TP41. I had a little problem with it at first but that is solved - I'll post more about it in the other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back