Topping NX3s
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #106 of 138
Oh man, this opamp is has it all when used in the NX3S. This is the best one yet. Bass is full, tight, impactful, and goes deep. There is no muddiness or boomy nature to the low end at all. Midrange is rich, full bodied, and instrument separation is excellent. Soundstage is absolutely huge, and imaging is on point. Treble is detailed with wonderful extension, and no harshness at all. If you had someone sit in front of this blindfolded, they would believe they were listening to a 250 dollar headphone amp.

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #108 of 138
I definitely know that the LME49720NA that comes in the NX3S is a fake. I took the opamp out, and tested out one of my own LME49720NA opamps in the unit, which I know are authentic. The improvement in sound quality was immediate. I am very aware of how the LME family of opamps sound, and I own several of them. This includes several of the LME49710NA, LME49710HA (metal can), LME49720NA, LME49720HA (metal can), and LME49990MA. On an interesting note though, I ended up testing out one of my LME49720HA metal can opamps on an adapter in the amp this evening. It is a shame that it is not possible to use one of these in the amp with the cover completely closed. The LME49720HA metal can takes the NX3S to the next level. The difference in sound quality is excellent. Tighter, faster, and more detailed bass, wider soundstage, better instrument separation, better imaging, cleaner and more articulate treble, and far more realistic vocals.
Advice is to put a 2mm layer of graphite (sheet or simply transformer varnish & graphite powder couple of layers) on LME49720 that you own and it will be the same as HA version with shielding which can't get in to close it.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #109 of 138
I ended up testing out my OPA2111KP opamp in my NX3S as well. This opamp is a total winner to use with the unit and I highly recommend it. As a few people here already know, the LME49720NA that comes inside this unit is a fake. The treble with that fake opamp is a grainy and harsh mess and bass is loose. This is not at all how any LME chips should sound. I compared it with a couple of my authentic LME49720NA ones I have at home here and the difference was obvious.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #110 of 138
Out of all mine that I have tested so far, the best sounding opamp that you can fit inside the NX3S with the cover fully on is the OPA2111KP. I have a couple of OPA2228 opamps here, which are also good opamps. I have not tried them in this unit yet, but it is unlikely they will be better sounding in there than the OPA2111KP.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #111 of 138
Hi, what amplifier is this? Thank you.
I found out about your question a few days ago. Every so often the Head-Fi server stops sending me e-mails about new posts on the threads where I am subscribed. Go figure.

This amplifier is the XU09. You can get it for less than $25 (including shipping, of course). TDN+N=0.0003% according to its specifications.

Even though it doesn't seem as clean as TDN+N=0.0003%, my XU09 has a clean enough output to add value to the sound coming from my FiiO BTR3, which is considered a device with a very clean output. My take is that if you get an XU09 (that is not defective), the worst that you will think of it would be "this is a very good amp for the asking price".

The XU09 comes with 2 x OPA2604. I replace those back and forth with NE5532Ps depending on the source and the earphone cables that I am using at the time. A full battery charge lasts about 7.5 hours.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #113 of 138
Not sure if anyone here is looking for a good step up in sound from the NX3S, but the Topping NX5 and Fiio A5 are very difficult to get these days. I ended up getting the A5 from a store in Vancouver who had just one left in stock. They are not easy to find these days.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #115 of 138
Thanks for the tip, I didn't have the 5532 on hand so ordered one. Ive heard this opamp many times before, as most of us have. It's very old and was mostly used in old desk that music guys used back in the 70s' From memory it is a very "Musical" chip. I'm still found of the LT1364, so if its even better that would be a plus...
Can OPA 1612 be used instead of ne5532. I think it's newer so I presume it's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back