Topping NX3s keeps buzzing and getting interference
Mar 5, 2019 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Varmintbaby

Head-Fier
Does anyone have this portable headphone amp and have this issue? When I first picked it up from the Amazon Locker it was delivered to, I opened it and listened while I drove home with my 300ohm HD6xx headset. It sounded fine and worked great. Once I got home, I opened it to check out the op amp and swap it with something else I had to see how it sounded. I put it back together and then later that day I drove out somewhere and took the amp with my 11 ohm Audio Technica IEMs and started getting a buzzing sound in a certain area. It's an area where usually your cell phone drops signal. Now, every time I pass through that area coming up to my apartment complex, I get this buzzing sound. I thought it was maybe an issue with the IEMs . Any ideas?

I thought maybe when I opened it and swapped the op amp, maybe something shifted out of place. It doesn't close 100% easily so I put a piece of paper between the bottom components on the PCB and the shell of the unit. Same issue. I tried moving the paper to the top of the unit and same thing. I did the paper because I thought maybe one of the components was touching the shell or something. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do I just have a bad unit that I need to RMA with Amazon? Please let me know. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Edit: So I took my HD6xxs out in the same area and got some interference but it wasn't as bad as with the IEMs. What gives?!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 6
I think I figured it out.. looks like the volume knob mechanism was touching the case. When I tilted it back up it stopped making the sound immediately. I figured that out when I swapped in a 5532P op amp today. I'll keep testing it and report back. Chime in with anything if you feel the want though... thanks!

Edit: It's the cellphone! It's interference directly from the cell phone when accessing cell signal. When I use my Iphone 6S on wifi which doesn't have cell service, it streams Tidal over the wifi and I don't get the interference. When on the cell it happens sometimes at my desk but usually when I go through that dead zone area. I guess I"ll just have to rock with this. I need a Digital Audio Player too so I'll look into that. Anyway, thanks for reading and you can close this thread!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello
Same thing is happening to me.
Trying out an NX3s, really love it . . . except when my cell phone service is on I get really loud significant random annoying static bursts. Change to airplane mode and it's perfect!
I wonder if there's any work around for this. It's really a problem IMO and I hate to return the amp because of this.
Thanks for any ideas or mod suggestions.

PS I'm also trying/comparing an NX1s, which so far doesn't do this at all. In the NX1s description on Amazon it says "Not only is it solid and sturdy, it also provides superior shielding from EM interference." Well, I guess the NX3s doesn't have superior shielding but can that be added?

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Hello
Same thing is happening to me.
Trying out an NX3s, really love it . . . except when my cell phone service is on I get really loud significant random annoying static bursts. Change to airplane mode and it's perfect!
I wonder if there's any work around for this. It's really a problem IMO and I hate to return the amp because of this.
Thanks for any ideas or mod suggestions.

PS I'm also trying/comparing an NX1s, which so far doesn't do this at all. In the NX1s description on Amazon it says "Not only is it solid and sturdy, it also provides superior shielding from EM interference." Well, I guess the NX3s doesn't have superior shielding but can that be added?
Just read this today! Nobody ever answered you? I have NX3s conmected to my LG V30 (the combo is simply fabulous) and lately it's been sounding like a sick cat with all the staticky noises. Did you ever find a solution? What about airplane mode like the poster before you? It seems to be internal to the amp itself, and not EM interference from something, but really, what would a noob like me know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back