Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #106 of 506
Just purchased the Topping L30 yesterday night. Should arrive in 10 days or so. Can't wait to compare the L30 with my JDS Labs Atom :wink:

It's going to sound the same as the Atom. And based on audio science reviews recent measurements, the Atom has slightly more headphone amp power with most DACs, as the specs that Topping released depend on 9V DAC output.

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #107 of 506
It's going to sound the same as the Atom. And based on audio science reviews recent measurements, the Atom has slightly more headphone amp power with most DACs, as the specs that Topping released depend on 9V DAC output.
L30 has non-standard very low input impedance, similar to A90. It cause a lower output volume than nominal when driven by a high impedance device: DACs with a passive output (for example all Denafrips or SMSL M400) and it also can lead to a high frequency roll-off. I didn't see a review, but I bet, such scenario wasn't tested on ASR, it was rather driven by a standard RCA output which is well below 100 Ohms and it doesn't expose a problem.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #108 of 506
I've never used my Atom in high gain mode for my Sundara nor HD600 so it really doesn't bother me at all.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #111 of 506
Thoughts on it after you used it a bit? I see you have a Magni Heresy, which is what I have and am wondering what the L30 will bring to the table over it.
OK, I did a little A-B shootout between the L30 and the Schiit Heresy and long story short, in all but one catagory, I much prefered the sound of the L30 over the Heresy. :scream:

The only catagory that the Heresy came out on top for me was the size of it's soundstage. The L30 had a more compact soundstage when directly compared to the Heresy.

But with everything else, the L30 was definitely my favorite of the two. It simply allowed more of the natural resolution of the music to come through, and it didn't get 'shouty' as the music became more dynamic and complex. It kept everything well under control, whereas the Heresy would start to sound more 'in yer face' as the music got more complex and/or dynamically compressed. Bass response was pretty much a draw between the two. Of all the under-$150 amps I've owned so far (Liquid Spark, Magni 3+, Magni Heresy, L30), I'd have to say the L30 is my favorite of the bunch. For a $140 amp, the L30's did surprisingly little wrong and got quite a bit right. I was really impressed by it! :L3000:

Other bonuses - it has it's power switch on the front (what a concept!), it has 3 gain-level settings (I thought the High setting sounded the best), and it has a nice smooth-feeling volume knob.

Possible issues - the shiny plastic used on it's faceplate and volume knob are just waiting to get scratched up, it runs pretty warm (so probably not a good idea to stack anything on top of it).

Overall, the L30 definitely gets a thumbs-up from me. It's a great little amp, and perfect for anyone looking to get some really good SQ from a compact amp that won't take up much space on their desk.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #112 of 506
Overall, the L30 definitely gets a thumbs-up from me. It's a great little amp, and perfect for anyone looking to get some really good SQ from a very compact amp that won't take up much space on their desk.

Thanks for the update. I received mine this afternoon, along with the E30. From a user experience point of view, the feel of the volume knob and the front-facing switches is enough for me to replace my Heresy with it lol.

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #114 of 506
Got this in... Btr5 and hd6xx. Seems comparatively quiet/lacking in power next to my zen can and magni 2. Hoping for different results when the e30 comes in.

please keep us posted, curious comparation between Zen Can & L30 + E30

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #115 of 506
Got this in... Btr5 and hd6xx. Seems comparatively quiet/lacking in power next to my zen can and magni 2. Hoping for different results when the e30 comes in.

How loud do you listen? I have the HD6XX and can’t even max volume on 0dB (unity setting?), let alone high gain, before it’s too loud. Definitely not experiencing any issues in terms of power output.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #116 of 506
OK, I did a little A-B shootout between the L30 and the Schiit Heresy and long story short, in all but one catagory, I much prefered the sound of the L30 over the Heresy. :scream:

The only catagory that the Heresy came out on top for me was the size of it's soundstage. The L30 had a more compact soundstage when directly compared to the Heresy.

But with everything else, the L30 was definitely my favorite of the two. It simply allowed more of the natural resolution of the music to come through, and it didn't get 'shouty' as the music became more dynamic and complex. It kept everything well under control, whereas the Heresy would start to sound more 'in yer face' as the music got more complex and/or dynamically compressed. Bass response was pretty much a draw between the two. Of all the under-$150 amps I've owned so far (Liquid Spark, Magni 3+, Magni Heresy, L30), I'd have to say the L30 is my favorite of the bunch. For a $140 amp, the L30's did surprisingly little wrong and got quite a bit right. I was really impressed by it! :L3000:

Other bonuses - it has it's power switch on the front (what a concept!), it has 3 gain-level settings (I thought the High setting sounded the best), and it has a nice smooth-feeling volume knob.

Possible issues - the shiny plastic used on it's faceplate and volume knob are just waiting to get scratched up, it runs pretty warm (so probably not a good idea to stack anything on top of it).

Overall, the L30 definitely gets a thumbs-up from me. It's a great little amp, and perfect for anyone looking to get some really good SQ from a compact amp that won't take up much space on their desk.
What DAC you used with it ?

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #118 of 506
It sounds like the synergy between E30 and L30 is real.
I already have an E30 but not so sure if I should get the L30 as I am ordering a set of Hifiman Deva. On the one hand, it would benefit from an amp with better sound stage and warmth. On the other....a neutral stack like E30+L30 is probably more versatile and best in the long run.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #119 of 506
How loud do you listen? I have the HD6XX and can’t even max volume on 0dB (unity setting?), let alone high gain, before it’s too loud. Definitely not experiencing any issues in terms of power output.
I got a chance to use modi with it. +9 at about halfway up the knob is my listening level, but it just sounds odd. Hard to describe.

It's fine at very low levels, but halfway up the soundstage gets smaller and everything gets muddled soundin- like a bad mp3. Clipping perhaps?

For comparison, magni2 is much clearer at the same volume.

Zen can sounds better than both at any volume.

Also, I found it eats a lot of desk space. If I stack it near either of my dacs it picks up a lot of noise. If I keep it, I'll have to make a little stand so it can be on its side.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #120 of 506
I got a chance to use modi with it. +9 at about halfway up the knob is my listening level, but it just sounds odd. Hard to describe.

It's fine at very low levels, but halfway up the soundstage gets smaller and everything gets muddled soundin- like a bad mp3. Clipping perhaps?

For comparison, magni2 is much clearer at the same volume.

Zen can sounds better than both at any volume.

Also, I found it eats a lot of desk space. If I stack it near either of my dacs it picks up a lot of noise. If I keep it, I'll have to make a little stand so it can be on its side.
Weird. I have my L30 and Heresy and have no power/volume issues from either. And I don't get any noise from the L30 based on its placement on my desk. I have a monitor, Vanatoo T0 active speaker, Heresy and G6, E30, and PC case all near it. No noise. I have it at +0 and can't go past 12 o'clock with the HD6XX without it being too loud for me. Wonder if there's something defective with yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back