Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Aug 3, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #76 of 506
I am thinking to get either L30 or Zen Can to pair with E30 and my Zen Dac.
For Zen Dac I use the headphone out, mostly the 4.4 BAL and use Zen Dac RCA out to my SP200.

Huh, what do you think of SP200 in relation to Zen Dac's 4.4 out? [I'll give my thoughts on both of those and L30 here shortly as well so It'll be nice to have your impressions of two pieces I'll be comparing L30 to as a reference point]

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #77 of 506
Huh, what do you think of SP200 in relation to Zen Dac's 4.4 out? [I'll give my thoughts on both of those and L30 here shortly as well so It'll be nice to have your impressions of two pieces I'll be comparing L30 to as a reference point]

Currently still RCA out only to SP200 (due to my 4.4 Bal to XLR cable is still not yet finished), on my ears, SP200 maintain the original source thrown at it, Zen Dac sound neutral to warm and good details, and also I found RCA input on SP200 background sounds cleaner than the XLR one.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #78 of 506
Yea I can see that, and honestly SMSL mentioned that RCA in XLR out was the most optimal way to run SP200 given how it's designed.

An I'll have to fire up both now and give em a listen. I did get an XLR to 4.4mm BAL cable the other day,tho I'm US based so I was able to get one Prime shipped

Give me a moment and I'll give ya some thoughts of SP 200 RCA IN XLR out vs ZEN Dac & L30 with HD 600

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #79 of 506
Yea I can see that, and honestly SMSL mentioned that RCA in XLR out was the most optimal way to run SP200 given how it's designed.

An I'll have to fire up both now and give em a listen. I did get an XLR to 4.4mm BAL cable the other day,tho I'm US based so I was able to get one Prime shipped

Give me a moment and I'll give ya some thoughts of SP 200 RCA IN XLR out vs ZEN Dac & L30 with HD 600

Sweet, I am patiently (but I lied) waiting hahaha

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #80 of 506
So I'll be 100% honest, Zen DAC into L30 imo is not better than Zen Dac 4.4mm Out. L30 is kinda better than Zen Dac's 6.5mm out but not better than it's 4.4mm out

That balanced of Zen Dac is no joke man!!! Seriously impressive, tho I am using the iFi iPower 5V SWPS so the overall cost of ZenDac as I'm listening is... like $210, $50 for the clean PSU and $40 for the 4pin XLR to 4.4mm Bal

Now that said, E30 into L30... YEA that's imo a small but discernible step above Zen Dac 4.4, I've been listening thru the Chesky Demo Disc [90's Ultimate Speaker DEMO Disc] Rebecca Pigeon performing Spanish Harlem and Taylor Livingston doing Grandma's Hands were my go to tracks

both the 6.5mm of Zen DAC and Zen DAC RCA[Fixed] into L30 was kinda soft in the bass, gave HD 600 a slight soft excessively round veil in the lows I did NOT like.

How ever 4.4mm BAL of Zen and E30/L30 had a more taut bass response, the double bass had both it's proper reverb AND some power behind it.

u85rZ3a.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #81 of 506
So I'll be 100% honest, Zen DAC into L30 imo is not better than Zen Dac 4.4mm Out. L30 is kinda better than Zen Dac's 6.5mm out but not better than it's 4.4mm out

That balanced of Zen Dac is no joke man!!! Seriously impressive, tho I am using the iFi iPower 5V SWPS so the overall cost of ZenDac as I'm listening is... like $210, $50 for the clean PSU and $40 for the 4pin XLR to 4.4mm Bal

Now that said, E30 into L30... YEA that's imo a small but discernible step above Zen Dac 4.4, I've been listening thru the Chesky Demo Disc [90's Ultimate Speaker DEMO Disc] Rebecca Pigeon performing Spanish Harlem and Taylor Livingston doing Grandma's Hands were my go to tracks

both the 6.5mm of Zen DAC and Zen DAC RCA[Fixed] into L30 was kinda soft in the bass, gave HD 600 a slight soft excessively round veil in the lows I did NOT like.

How ever 4.4mm BAL of Zen and E30/L30 had a more taut bass response, the double bass had both it's proper reverb AND some power behind it.

u85rZ3a.jpg

thanks once again for your impression really helps a lot

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #82 of 506
Greetings,
I have been reading a while, I joined because I have some hopefully relevant input. I received my L30 yesterday, I was looking for a replacement for my lexicon mc-1 preamp which had a stroke. I was using a cheap 2 tube (with blue lights) headphone amp from China as a pinch hitter but it was flat and uninvolving. System is Thiel 3.6, Adcom 5400 and a Cambridge Audio 540D disk player with a Schiit modi 2 added sometimes. I read this thread and because it was $130 and a brand new release I thought I would give it a try. Apos got it here yesterday and I've listened about 5 hours so far. Initial impressions are awesome. From the minute I turned it on, the system had that real sparkle to it that sucks me right in. Definition, soundstage, timbre, pacing, all just right. I really enjoy falling into the music, picking out details and interplay not usually noticed. I'd say it's a little more involving than the mc-1 as a preamp.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #83 of 506
Apos got it here yesterday and I've listened about 5 hours so far. Initial impressions are awesome. From the minute I turned it on, the system had that real sparkle to it that sucks me right in. Definition, soundstage, timbre, pacing, all just right. I really enjoy falling into the music, picking out details and interplay not usually noticed. I'd say it's a little more involving than the mc-1 as a preamp.

Thanks for the impressions. I purchased the L30/E30 stack and am patiently waiting for them to arrive. Was given an expected shipping date of August 10, so I'm hoping to read some good impressions and reviews between now and then.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #85 of 506
20200805_225258.jpg

I purchased the stack from Aoshida on AliExpress and it got here (The Netherlands) faster than expected. Also didn't have to pay any taxes luckily. First impressions with Utopia, it sounds really good for such a small stack. Another Topping product I have is the DX3Pro (V1) and I rate this higher than that one, especially in the bass as DX3Pro can be a little too soft sometimes. As for signature I'd say this is as neutral as it gets. 1 small question to other owners: Do you also have some little play with the volume knob before actually changing the volume?

Edit: read somewhere else this is normal and imo it isn't really troublesome

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #86 of 506
20200805_225258.jpg
I purchased the stack from Aoshida on AliExpress and it got here (The Netherlands) faster than expected. Also didn't have to pay any taxes luckily. First impressions with Utopia, it sounds really good for such a small stack. Another Topping product I have is the DX3Pro (V1) and I rate this higher than that one, especially in the bass as DX3Pro can be a little too soft sometimes. As for signature I'd say this is as neutral as it gets. 1 small question to other owners: Do you also have some little play with the volume knob before actually changing the volume?

Edit: read somewhere else this is normal and imo it isn't really troublesome

Thanks for sharing, which other DAC/amp you tried with utopia and you can compare it to L30 :)

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #88 of 506
My L30 came today, but with a fairly fundamental issue for UK customers...

Plug supplied is EU with adaptor and it doesn't stay in place.

IMG_7971.jpg
Get ifi power X with UK outlet :p

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #89 of 506
Get ifi power X with UK outlet :p
Thanks but no thanks:

1) Topping L30 requires AC voltage.
2) The adapter you have mentioned costs 66% the cost of the amp itself. I could build a linear DC power supply with 2uV ripple (Die-Noizator schematic by Elvee) for about £20.
3) Topping L30 requires AC voltage.
4) I paid for a UK adapter. :)

UK-Plug.jpg

5) Topping L30 requires AC voltage.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #90 of 506
@iamwhoiam. Get better quality adaptor. Euro plug will come handy when you go back to EU. .LOL.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back