Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Jan 10, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #391 of 506
I just received my L30 and set it up. I’ve only listened for short while so far but I’m not sure what I think.

Coming from no amp, this seems harsh to me. The sound may be a little fuller but it also seems shrill and tires out my ears.

I’ll have to listen a lot more before coming to any conclusions. I have used the 6xx with the L30 and it is a great pairing!

I find the L30 to be very linear and technical. It seems like it is shrill, but to me I just see that as detailed. There is definitely no warmth to this amp. I prefer that sound, as I love to hear the details. Coming from no amp as you are, it may take some time for your ears to adjust to the sound.

For reference, the two sources I’ve used are the Xonar DX card in my PC and the Apple dongle connected to my iPhone.

And I’ve only really tested with my A900 and a tiny bit with my M50. My 6XX should arrive next week.

It is very clean and detailed. That may come off as shrill. It’ll take time for your ears to adjust. The 6xx is a great pairing with the L30.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #392 of 506
I just received my L30 and set it up. I’ve only listened for short while so far but I’m not sure what I think.

Coming from no amp, this seems harsh to me. The sound may be a little fuller but it also seems shrill and tires out my ears.

I’ll have to listen a lot more before coming to any conclusions.

For reference, the two sources I’ve used are the Xonar DX card in my PC and the Apple dongle connected to my iPhone.

And I’ve only really tested with my A900 and a tiny bit with my M50. My 6XX should arrive next week.

There might be improved sound quality which is causing you to hear the deficiences in a recording or your existing headphones. For example, could be that dynamic peaks in the treble were clipped with your previous source device. Now the treble peaks are lounder/stronger.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #393 of 506
Update on the L30 and ESD. The designer of the Topping L30 over at ASR has now advised someone to stop using his L30 if his serial number is below 2012xxxx, until they can investigate further. Models newer than that had a component change to improve voltage regulation, so it is believed the newer units will not kill the headphones if the amp fails.

Topping has ordered some ESD testing gear so that they can investigate further whether that is the issue. But as pointed out in the ASR thread, if this was a result of a bad batch of op-amps on boards with the older voltage regulation, they'll have trouble pinning down the problem further as to specific serial numbers affected.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #394 of 506
Update on the L30 and ESD. The designer of the Topping L30 over at ASR has now advised someone to stop using his L30 if his serial number is below 2012xxxx, until they can investigate further. Models newer than that had a component change to improve voltage regulation, so it is believed the newer units will not kill the headphones if the amp fails.

Topping has ordered some ESD testing gear so that they can investigate further whether that is the issue. But as pointed out in the ASR thread, if this was a result of a bad batch of op-amps on boards with the older voltage regulation, they'll have trouble pinning down the problem further as to specific serial numbers affected.

John Yang has also said some news of their investigation will come out in the next 1 - 2 days: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amplifier-review.15226/page-133#post-633329

But it is disappointing DROP and other shops are still selling the L30 without any warning about this potential ESD issue. It is like business as normal and only those that are deep in these forums know about the issue. A lot of layconsumers will still be buying it unwittingly sigh.

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #395 of 506
John Yang has also said some news of their investigation will come out in the next 1 - 2 days: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amplifier-review.15226/page-133#post-633329

If you read the recent comments around that post, I think he was talking about Topping's policy for how they would handle returns. But I could be wrong.

But it is disappointing DROP and other shops are still selling the L30 without any warning about this potential ESD issue. It is like business as normal and only those that are deep in these forums know about the issue. A lot of layconsumers will still be buying it unwittingly sigh.

What also concerns me is the fact that the voltage regulation was improved with the 2012xxxx releases. This makes me wonder if Topping didn't realize amp failures could result in headphone destruction with the old voltage regulation? If so, then L30 owners have kind of been left in the dark about how safe the older amps are.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #396 of 506
If you read the recent comments around that post, I think he was talking about Topping's policy for how they would handle returns. But I could be wrong.

What also concerns me is the fact that the voltage regulation was improved with the 2012xxxx releases. This makes me wonder if Topping didn't realize amp failures could result in headphone destruction with the old voltage regulation? If so, then L30 owners have kind of been left in the dark about how safe the older amps are.

Agreed. As u say, the sneaky thing is Topping was aware of the possible ESD fault and stealthily released a "fixed" version in the 2012 series. I'm not sure if it is common in the industry to release a fix without letting the older consumers know, but I'm not gonna be buying Topping products from now on.

I do hope they let us existing customers get a refund, or at least do a 1: 1 exchange for the fixed versions.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #397 of 506
Agreed. As u say, the sneaky thing is Topping was aware of the possible ESD fault and stealthily released a "fixed" version in the 2012 series. I'm not sure if it is common in the industry to release a fix without letting the older consumers know, but I'm not gonna be buying Topping products from now on.

I do hope they let us existing customers get a refund, or at least do a 1: 1 exchange for the fixed versions.

That's not exactly what I meant.

ESD killing the amp is one issue. And it hasn't been proven that is causing amp failure.

The problem with DC voltage protection is another issue, the reason why headphones are being killed once the amp fails.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #398 of 506
Update from Topping:

https://www.facebook.com/topping2008

I don’t like the language. If you have a unit below the new 2012**** serial number, you can exchange with the dealer “should you feel so inclined”. That’s pretty vague.

My L30 has been great so far. Is it a ticking time bomb? Is the issue rare and this recall is just for peace of mind, or is this a widespread issue that really demands an exchange? Topping’s response is extremely vague, so I don’t know whether I should send a seemingly-fine unit across the continent to get an exchange from headphones.com or not.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #399 of 506
Update from Topping:

I don’t like the language. If you have a unit below the new 2012**** serial number, you can exchange with the dealer “should you feel so inclined”. That’s pretty vague.

My L30 has been great so far. Is it a ticking time bomb? Is the issue rare and this recall is just for peace of mind, or is this a widespread issue that really demands an exchange? Topping’s response is extremely vague, so I don’t know whether I should send a seemingly-fine unit across the continent to get an exchange from headphones.com or not.

I've emailed HIFIGO (where I bought my set) to enquire about exchanging it for the new 2012 series. I'm not sure how much the returns cost will be to China but will update if they reply.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #400 of 506
Update from Topping:

I’d say that you should opt for a replacement precisely because their statement is so vague.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #401 of 506
Update from Topping:

They're probably purposely being vague to avoid liability for blown up headphones.

As well as potential ear damage. One person at ASR described his IEM as sounding like it was exploding inside his ear

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/sequential-damage.19003/page-8#post-634026

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #402 of 506
I've emailed HIFIGO (where I bought my set) to enquire about exchanging it for the new 2012 series. I'm not sure how much the returns cost will be to China but will update if they reply.

Some Chinese vendors are apparently offering the purchaser the opportunity to destroy the amp, rather than ship it back.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #403 of 506
Update from Topping:

So, Topping admits that a certain batch of L30's is at fault for damaging a number of L30 owner's headphones/iems. However, Topping provides no word in their announcement regarding compensation, or initiating some kind of compensation process, to those owners except for a replacement L30. Doesn't this seem wrong to anyone else here?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #404 of 506
So it seems the 2012***** serial number fixes the headphone issue but not the ESD issue.

According to John Yang (Topping’s engineer) posting on AudioScienceReview, the ESD issue was finally just replicated in their labs, so they’re now implementing a fix for a future version. But that could take a couple months.

The 2012***** variant will protect your headphones, though, but not the unit itself. So if something happens to the unit, they’ll replace it (it has a 1 year warranty), but at least your headphones are safe.

What a strange situation.

I don’t know whether I should send in a seemingly-working amp for a replacement that’s only half fixed...

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #405 of 506

I contacted HIFIGO, and they have kindly submitted my serial no. and details to Topping, and promise to send a replacement L30. Though they say the Topping side may need some time to produce the newer series L30 with the fixes, so delivery date is still pending. Good service from HIFIGO, no complaints from myself on this aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back