TOPPING HS02 USB Audio Isolator 32bit 768kHz DSD512
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Arniesb

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm using this isolator for more than a week and have to say i have to say i'm satisfied even though i have heard Innuos Pheonix.
Using Gaming laptop with battery power or with its power supply resulted in very digital, fatiguing sound with gray background. Sound like that never satisfied me and since then i was searching for cleaner and more inviting sound.

Had Ifi nano usb as my first reclocker and while it cleaned sound a lot it also resulted in very aggressive/fatiguing sound, i think this has to with yet another power supply in the signal chain...
After some time i heard Innuos Pheonix with various dacs such as Chord Dave, Matrix x sabre pro, my own topping dx7 and Topping d90. Pheonix made a massive difference with each and every one of them!
Pheonix cleaned sound even more than Ifi reclocker and it never introduced harshness/aggressiveness like Ifi did, maybe because it had very good linear power supply?
Sound was analog, dynamic, powerfull and flowing.

Couple years past hearing Innuos reclocker i decided to try my Samsung as usb source and to my suprise: It sounded as good as Innuos reclocker! I thought high end clock gonna make a difference, but i guess clock quality doesnt matter that much for usb sources because new Dacs have Asynchronous USB interface.

Couple years forward i thought about using digital interface since Innuos reclocker is so expensive and i cant game or watch a movie on my phone like i can on laptop on its big screen.
I was set on Matrix X-Spidif3 interface since it can be powered with usb power alone.

Not long ago, when Topping introduced this 2nd gen usb cleaner, i thought: this doesnt cost much why i should'nt try it?
When it arrived it suprised me how small this usb cleaner is... I thought: Surely this small thing can't clean much noise, but i was wrong.
Everything become more analogue, background become black, i can listen music for hours whitout fatigue! Yesterday i was rewatching Prometheus movie and it made whole experience more memorable, Phenomenal soundtrack, ambience poped a lot more and was more dramatic! Gladiator movie also got the same treatment and everything become more lifelike and dynamic.
I had it for like 10 days and i have no complaints at all, i also like the fact that it doesnt add any color to the sound or takes away some transparency. Innuos and phone is a bit better, but difference is not big at all. I dont feel the need to get anything else.
Big recommendation from me! Price is not big, its worth to try.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 11
Using Topping dx7(for now) along Violectric v222 amp and im listening through my HD800S.
Cables used: Forza Noir Hybrid headphone cables with furutech plugs on both ends, Cheap xlr interconnects, cheap usb cable from pc to Topping cleaner and Wireworld platinum starlight 7 usb from topping cleaner to Topping dac.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 11
You have dac that is powered with usb power?
Like Violectric and Beyerdynamic dacs?
I think it should improve those if such dacs dont have isolators themselves.

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 11
You have dac that is powered with usb power?
Like Violectric and Beyerdynamic dacs?
I think it should improve those if such dacs dont have isolators themselves.
Usually I use DACs like the Fiio KA3, Link2 Bal or the Cayin RU6. Yes, they're all usb-powered. Cleaner USB seems like a good deal but the hybrid amp in my setup already enhances the noise floor.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 11
I use this isolator between my PC and Gustard U18. The Gustard U18 already has an isolator after the XMOS, so now the XMOS is also isolated from the PC. The sound quality is noticeably better in direct comparison.

The Gustard XMOS chip is usually supplied with power via an isolated SMPS converter, not via USB. I have changed this by removing the SMPS converter and bridging it so that the XMOS is powered via USB instead. Therefore, I am not sure how representative this comparison is.

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 11
The Topping HS02 sits between my Apple iMac and Gustard X16. It really has improved the performance with USB:

- less sibilance and glare.
- improved separation
- better focus

Recommended :L3000:

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Yep Brilliant bit of kit, I've got my Mini Mac Pro and PC connected to my ifi Zen DAC Sig V2 via the Topping HS02 and you just flip the little switch on the HS02 to whichever device I want to use :raised_hands: So very handy just for that fact alone.

Apr 17, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 11
I am using iFi iSilencer (two in series) already more years. I am satisfied with improvement iSilencers bring. But I know that iSilencer (as well as most of USB signal reclockers/regenerators) is treating other aspects of USB connection than galvanic isolation - they concentrate on data wires. HS02 provides galvanic isolation.

My DAC Topping E50 allows to disconnect VBUS wire (+5V) after DAC is powered up and connection with DAC driver is negotiated. The only USB wire which was not subject of some kind of treatment was ground wire. I decided to try HS02. I was curious if it will have any effect at all, because nothing audible indicated ground loop in my setup. I can turn my headamp to full volume and without track playing I hear nothing. With or without HS02. So in some direct audible form I could not detect a ground loop.

My chain with HS02 looks like:
Data branch: Win11 notebook -> HS02 -> iSilencer -> iSilencer -> Y data/power splitter -> DAC Power branch: +5V (for initial handshake when DAC is turned on) ->

The Y adapter is this one.
I am connecting the power branch to a free port of my notebook only for a short time when I turn on my DAC. Then my DAC does not need power from computer so I am disconnecting it.
VBUS (+5V) wire on data branch is used only to power HS02 and iSilencers - it is not connected to DAC USB port.
Now, what for audible difference it brought to me? It is better audibility and separation of quieter sounds like percussions, overall improvement in instrument timbres and colors, a bit darker overall presentation and blacker background. It looks this is audible effect of noise floor lowering. Is the difference "big"? You know, answer to such a question is always very subjective. There is no gear to measure user satisfaction. Enough big for me to be happy with the improvement and keep the small device. Maybe 2 iSilencers make together the same level of improvement.

I tried some variations too:
- I tried also different order of devices like iSilencer -> iSilencer -> HS02 but HS02 -> iSilencer -> iSilencer brings me cleaner (blacker) background.
- The best result I got with USB A to USB B adapter instead of cable between my laptop and HS02. I am using this one. I tried USB A to B cable as well as USB C to C cable (HS02 has 2 input and 2 output connectors) but then I lost part of the improvement. It could be result of noise on VBUS and ground influencing data wires along the cable. Such a thing seem to exist because some USB cable producers provide separate shielding for data and power wires. Between iSilencers and DAC I am using Supra cable.
- I tried it also without the Y adapter. I found the difference as very small, but after few comparisons I decided to keep the separate power branch.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 11
does someone know what the differences are between the HS01 and HS02?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back