Topping G5
Nov 17, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #332 of 351
Got the NX7 in the mail today and, based on memory, it is very similar to the G5's amp. Maybe a tad less V-shaped, but I don't really remember. The improvement like the G5 was to vastly expand the soundstage. In comparison, the reverberation on Hugo 2 (HP out) sounds like haziness around the instruments. With the NX7, the reverberations of all instruments coherently create a soundstage far in the background, giving the images of the instruments themselves a lot of room to breath. It is the kind of improvement on soundstage depth that is hard to achieve at anywhere in the chain with $180.

I haven't had this reaction in a long time, but this Hugo 2 + NX7 + Zero Red combo really makes me feel like I'm at my (portable) end-game. Maybe another good interconnect cable away lol. I especially like how the treble sounds like a good 2-channel system: the instruments in the high frequencies sits together with those in the midrange, whereas the "air" in the high frequency isn't really audible, and that I feel it more than I hear it. Zero sibilance or glare. No detail tries to jump at my forehead, only the good organic music playing in front of me.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #333 of 351
The TOPPING G5 Portable DAC/Amp is a true marvel in the world of portable audio. This compact powerhouse has completely transformed the way I enjoy music on the go. The sound quality it delivers is nothing short of astonishing, with rich, detailed, and immersive audio that surpasses all expectations.

The G5's versatility is a standout feature, accommodating a wide variety of headphones and earphones effortlessly. Its user-friendly interface and controls make it a breeze to use, and the LED display adds a touch of sophistication to its design.

Portability is key with the G5, as it's conveniently sized and boasts a long-lasting battery life. Whether I'm on a long commute or a leisurely walk, the G5 ensures that I'm never without high-quality sound. If you're in search of a portable DAC/Amp that combines stellar audio quality with convenience, the TOPPING G5 is an exceptional choice that truly redefines the portable audio experience.

Nov 24, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #334 of 351
The TOPPING G5 Portable DAC/Amp is a true marvel in the world of portable audio. This compact powerhouse has completely transformed the way I enjoy music on the go. The sound quality it delivers is nothing short of astonishing, with rich, detailed, and immersive audio that surpasses all expectations.

The G5's versatility is a standout feature, accommodating a wide variety of headphones and earphones effortlessly. Its user-friendly interface and controls make it a breeze to use, and the LED display adds a touch of sophistication to its design.

Portability is key with the G5, as it's conveniently sized and boasts a long-lasting battery life. Whether I'm on a long commute or a leisurely walk, the G5 ensures that I'm never without high-quality sound. If you're in search of a portable DAC/Amp that combines stellar audio quality with convenience, the TOPPING G5 is an exceptional choice that truly redefines the portable audio experience.
You work in marketing right?

Nov 24, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #335 of 351
I found out that when connected to my pixel 7 via USB cables I hear faint digital glitch here and there. But connected to my iPad it's perfectly silent.

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #336 of 351
I found out that when connected to my pixel 7 via USB cables I hear faint digital glitch here and there. But connected to my iPad it's perfectly silent.

I am assuming Pixel 7 is phone and ipad is wifi. pixel 7 would then have a lot more radios pinging towers and requesting IP addesses and packets far more often than your ipad with the limitation of wifi. I will also assume your stacking your P7/G5 whilst it's just connected to a cable with the ipad. stacking introduces far more interference due to proximity plus multiple radios. I stack my G5 with a G8X and I move on average ~4 months. my G8X doesn't have a sim card and is in airplane mode most of the time. I finally gave my G8X a password recently to update a couple things and I heard the interference finally. what you're experiencing is normal. if you want to stack, stack with an old phone, not one you're currently using unless you want to turn on airplane mode. you don't need anything special as all the info is passed digitally, thus utilizing the 9068AS. at the time I bought the G8X (x2) I didn't know how beautiful a stack it would be. G8X doesn't have protruding camera so is completely flat both sides also paired with a xduuo X-SK1 sticky pad.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #337 of 351
I am assuming Pixel 7 is phone and ipad is wifi. pixel 7 would then have a lot more radios pinging towers and requesting IP addesses and packets far more often than your ipad with the limitation of wifi. I will also assume your stacking your P7/G5 whilst it's just connected to a cable with the ipad. stacking introduces far more interference due to proximity plus multiple radios. I stack my G5 with a G8X and I move on average ~4 months. my G8X doesn't have a sim card and is in airplane mode most of the time. I finally gave my G8X a password recently to update a couple things and I heard the interference finally. what you're experiencing is normal. if you want to stack, stack with an old phone, not one you're currently using unless you want to turn on airplane mode. you don't need anything special as all the info is passed digitally, thus utilizing the 9068AS. at the time I bought the G8X (x2) I didn't know how beautiful a stack it would be. G8X doesn't have protruding camera so is completely flat both sides also paired with a xduuo X-SK1 sticky pad.

Thanks for your suggestion. It got me thinking.

Well, when I stack it with my pixel 7 phone there is even more distortion sounds, so I been using a long usb cable. I will try to turn the phone into airplane mode, download some music and disable wifi and Bluetooth. Final step would be using my old phone.

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #338 of 351
Thanks for your suggestion. It got me thinking.

Well, when I stack it with my pixel 7 phone there is even more distortion sounds, so I been using a long usb cable. I will try to turn the phone into airplane mode, download some music and disable wifi and Bluetooth. Final step would be using my old phone.

yeah, if you're going to stream you should separate the streaming device from the listening source. proximity interference can kill the mood. I'm assuming google still isn't doing mSD cards so you probably have limited space. microSD cards are still very serviceable, especially for us music lovers who don't stream. this is also the G5 so you have bluetooth option. the rare times I do use bluetooth and walk, the G5 is in a separate pocket from my main phone. I was quite surprised how good it sounds because BT streaming has never wowed me until the G5. probably more due to the amp but still. some people even use a bt dongle on the G5. lmao.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #339 of 351
Like to know, Amp section of G5 is better than NX7 ? Or just the opposite?

Also, my intention to use 3.5 mm line in section as imput and 3.5mm headphone out…how good is this ?

Basically portable amplifier usage….

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #340 of 351

Also, my intention to use 3.5 mm line in section as imput and 3.5mm headphone out…how good is this ?

Same topology as NX7, a little less powerful. Makes more sense to purchase NX7 if you only want the amplifier section. NX7 has a little more power and is less expensive.

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #341 of 351

Also, my intention to use 3.5 mm line in section as input and 3.5mm headphone out…how good is this ?

supposedly the measurement differences between G5 and NX7 are inaudible. that said some people swear the NX7 is a better amp with more power. I think the G5 is 1000mW or 1200mW and the NX7 iirc is 1500mW. not really a big difference unless you have something that requires moah powah for best results. the line in is also line out so you should have no problem. the 9068 is pretty good though so curious what you're using to bypass. as mentioned though if you have no need for the DAC the NX7 might be the better choice. the G5 sucks battery pretty fast. the NX7 should last a while between charges.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #344 of 351
I tired G5, and I think for IEM W2 is better around this price. But remember that this machine is a "fake balance"
I don't know about the W2 but the G5 isn't "fake balance". It's not balanced at all and it doesn't claim to be anywhere in the specs. The 4.4mm output is for convenience only.

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #345 of 351
Anyone care to do a comparison?

Topping G5 vs Fiio Q15 vs iDSD final

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231231-021357_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231-021357_Firefox.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231231-021440_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231-021440_Firefox.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231231-021753_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231-021753_Firefox.jpg