Topping E50 Stuttering with MQA?
Feb 23, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #16 of 24
I've gone through 3 units now from different places, and all have had MQA stuttering on them. I feel like something must be wrong with my setup now, but I'm working with the support team from Headphones.com who has been absolutely fantastic so far. I feel like there might be something odd going on with my setup, but I've replaced everything in the chain except for the source, since I only have the one computer to use them with.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 24
I've gone through 3 units now from different places, and all have had MQA stuttering on them. I feel like something must be wrong with my setup now, but I'm working with the support team from Headphones.com who has been absolutely fantastic so far. I feel like there might be something odd going on with my setup, but I've replaced everything in the chain except for the source, since I only have the one computer to use them with.

so you have never had the PNL ERROR?

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 24
so you have never had the PNL ERROR?
I did and still have the PNL error on the first one, I just had the stuttering issue way more often. I didn’t find a good way to get the error to test, so I just waited for stutters to happen.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #19 of 24
Well this sucks! I obviously found this thread because my E50 is having the same problem at work. Work PC is a brand new basic bitch HP and there's nothing weird about setup just Tidal app and E50 exclusive mode. Firmware is up to date etc.

Its super annoying since its the only MQA DAC I own (and last) and its the only use case that causes it... Wish I never bought this DAC...

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #21 of 24
If my digital source isn't clipping why would I effectively throw away bits reducing volume in the digital domain when A) that's not necessary for any dac I've ever used and
B) in exclusive mode its not even convenient or easy to affect volume at the source...
Isn't the whole point of using separates to avoid things like re-sampling and to send a dac the full signal without routing through windows mixer first etc.?

bottom line for its price this isn't a solution and honestly its barely a Band-Aid.

I tried listening using win 11 tidal app with mqa final fold option off and it jumped around less than usual but the E50 displayed MQA most of the time so either the dac is faulty or more likely Tidal is feeding me "flac" that was originally MQA meaning I'm not even getting lossless flac.
this is dis-heartening and MQA is slowly eroding the hifi market dividing an already small group of enthusiasts....

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #23 of 24
brought back the e50, this time using exclusively android and after several hours of playback, the unit hasnt triggered the pnl error. not sure if this helps, but im happy that i can use it again even though its only android.

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #24 of 24
What kind of source are you using? I have the same problem but only when I stream from my Bluesound Node N130. If I stream from a Win 11 laptop it works fine. I have the latest FW for E50 and the latest drivers for my PC.

Seems like Topping must have chosen some strange USB port or this is the universe telling us to downgrade or Tidal and skip the MQA hocys pocus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back