Topping DX7Pro + HD660S, where to next?
Aug 16, 2021 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NJT1000

New Head-Fier
I have had the DX7 Pro and the HD660S for only 6 months or so, but I'm looking for options to expand my setup and am interested in what to add first.

The HD660s are great, I like the sound, though they have not completely blown me away. I would like something more detailed, and possibly with a wider soundstage. These are my first open-back headphones, so it has been nice to get sound outside my head. MY other headphones are Sony XM4s that I use mainly for commutes, and on every flight I take, so not a lot recently :wink: I also have an ifi xDSD as a mobile dac/amp, but the Topping is my main amp.

Maybe looking to spend around £750-£1000 total and I don't know whether there is any benefit in looking at the Toppin A90, or if at this level the DX7Pro is plenty for now.

I like the look of the Grado, but I see great reviews for Audeze, Beyerdynamis, Hifiman etc. All the shops in the UK seem to be London or online only, so it would be difficult to test, but hopefully, a home audition is possible. I'm not opposed to used.

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 5
I have to say you're probably good w/the DX7 for the foreseeable future, that's a damned fine DAC/amp.

Headphones-wise, in the price range you're looking, given your requirements (more detail, wider soundstage), I would recommend trying to track down a pair of ZMF Auteurs. They're my go-to open-back cans. They're amazing. You'd be best suited trying to find a preowned pair, as ZMF sells all their stuff with a weeks-to-months build cycle (they're all hand-built in the Chicago area).

Some alternatives you my look into:

- HD800(s) - can find on the secondhand market in your range, are known for soundstage and detail, and retain (I think) a lot of the sound signature you have in your HD660S
- ZMF Aeolus - a more musical ZMF open-back, but less neutral (slightly less detail but a beloved model of headphones; I don't have a pair but others can tell you about their experience with them)
- Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd edition probably) - really detailed, really clean, bordering on bright - some hear harshness up high, I liked the pair I had (sold when I got the Auteurs)
- AKG K712 Pro - insane soundstage based on what I've read, nice detail but probably not an upgrade from the 660s on details

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the ideas, I’ll take a look at those options. The Auteurs look beautiful, but seem to be more expensive in the UK, around £1200 on eBay.

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 5
The Auteur is a step down detail-wise if you ask me. I’d probably go for something like a Sundara, Elex/Clear or HD800S instead. The latter is rather sharp in the highs but some people hear this as detail. It’s all in the ears of the beholder:)
Your Topping though is about as good as it gets. New boxes does not give you increased sound quality (unless you are coming from something that is broken). They bring you the exact same SQ as what you already have. Use your money on headphones if you want something better/different. The rest is sandcastles of air, snake oil and macho bragging rights.

Aug 17, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 5
You could always go back to the Sennheiser HD580/600 or HD650 with their higher impedance (300Ω) that may satisfy a requirement for refinement but not larger soundstage. Another cheap option is tye venerable Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600Ω) which is bright and bass lite but has a larger soundstage than especially the HD580. The Focal Clear is often quoted as a super HD600 but that is rather expensive (even used). I wouldn't try to upgrade your upstream components. Valve (tube) amplifiers are often quoted to enhance the soundstage but that will depend on the model, tubes etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back