Topping DX7 Pro, enough for Audeze LCD-X?
Oct 19, 2021 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bust3r

100+ Head-Fier
Or some other AMP/DAC combo?

I'm looking for an amp that will feed a pair of LCD-X's well, that has good dynamic range/measurements, all that stuff, etc :D and the DX7 Pro was mentioned/suggested as a DAC amp combo, but I'm concerned about the power. I cannot use my sound card if I want to EQ the Audeze's, the sound card SW is not compatible with APO and PEACE EQ that I need to EQ the headphones with, so I need a DAC to either pair with the A90, or look at the DX7, if it has enough power (to your opinions).

And of course open to any other suggestions as well, and I'm also reading that tube amps do not sound good with these headphones, but of course I have no idea if that is true or not.

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 15
I have no idea about Dx7 pro specs but lcd-x are very easy to drive (I have used mine on ios devices at times and found the sonic performance more than adequate)
Thus it stands to reason that a desktop class Dac/amp combo would definitely drive them.

I have used wa7 ff 2nd gen tube amp with the lcd-x but I preferred the sound through my solid state amp. Your mileage might vary.

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 15
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 15
Or some other AMP/DAC combo?

I'm looking for an amp that will feed a pair of LCD-X's well, that has good dynamic range/measurements, all that stuff, etc :D and the DX7 Pro was mentioned/suggested as a DAC amp combo, but I'm concerned about the power. I cannot use my sound card if I want to EQ the Audeze's, the sound card SW is not compatible with APO and PEACE EQ that I need to EQ the headphones with, so I need a DAC to either pair with the A90, or look at the DX7, if it has enough power (to your opinions).

And of course open to any other suggestions as well, and I'm also reading that tube amps do not sound good with these headphones, but of course I have no idea if that is true or not.

Thanks!
I also use the dx7s MQA Dac ..so if you already have the A90 , it might make sense to use a dedicated DAC instead ?

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 15
I also use the dx7s MQA Dac ..so if you already have the A90 , it might make sense to use a dedicated DAC instead ?
I just have the atom amp and schiit magni 3+, my DAC is the nu audio in my signature. I can't use the LCDX's with the nu audio software/EQ, plus, it's very aggressive so it'll have to go to make room for a desktop DAC.
I was thinking about the A90 but don't know which DAC to use with it, the D90 is around 8-900$US alone so that one is out of the question.

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 15
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, the LCD-X is easy to drive.
Your JDS amp will drive it well. A90 is over kill for the LCD-X.
You are better off looking for just a Dac if eq is your thing.

I don’t EQ my cans and so I just drive my LCD-X as is. I tried using Roon’s lcd-x eq .. didn’t find much difference and so switched it off.

I own the D70s MQA. It is a really good dac trading blows with the pricier D90.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 15
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, the LCD-X is easy to drive.
Your JDS amp will drive it well. A90 is over kill for the LCD-X.
You are better off looking for just a Dac if eq is your thing.

I don’t EQ my cans and so I just drive my LCD-X as is. I tried using Roon’s lcd-x eq .. didn’t find much difference and so switched it off.

I own the D70s MQA. It is a really good dac trading blows with the pricier D90.
I thought the Atom would drive them well also, but there was a big difference in fullness to the sound added by the schiit over the atom. I didn't get the volume that I was hoping to get. Strangely enough, they don't get much louder (LCDX'S) then the HD650s thru the atom amp. The schiit is a different story, it pushed the cans much better but lacks the sparkly highs the atom has but a better low end. I'd look for another DAC but the DX7 seems to tick the boxes I was looking for. I'll take a look at the D70s as well!

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 15
Ok. It seems you are in the market for an amp too but I never had issues running the lcd-x through mobile devices.

I too was in the camp for AIO but I now see the wisdom of separating the Dac and the Amp.

I have no experience with the Schit units.
Anyway all the best

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 15
Also check the FiiO k5 pro. My LCD-X works really well with it ( though it has no balanced out put )

Oct 20, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 15
Oct 20, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #12 of 15
I actually listened to LCDX today in-store, I used a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, the DAC/amp isn't known for having much power and drove them well (sounded good as well). So I don't think you'd have a problem with the DX7 Pro.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 15
I pulled the trigger on the Topping DX7 Pro, for the DAC and swappable OPAMPs. Power was important as well, just not as important as the sound potential. Forum responses say it should be fine, but bass takes power and don't want to be underpowered. I plan to swap out the OPAMPs with Burson Vivids.

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Dedicated AMPS always give dynamic range to headphones, even to easy to drive headphones.

Buy the SCHIIT stack.
I have the Magni 3+ and dont care for it really. The JDS labs atom sounds much cleaner, but the magni def has more power. If JDS labs sold a unit that has the power of the schiit, it'd be a no brainer, and I wouldnt have even looked at the Topping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back