Topping DX3Pro .. the destroyer of headphones? Or the wrong one plugged in?
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

voon

100+ Head-Fier
I got my new Topping DX3 pro DAC/Amp and at first I used it at home and it worked with a pair of UE TF10 I had in it ... now at work I plugged in two headphones .. one worked fine for a while ... but then sudenly the right IEM would heat up and die ... tried another set of very cheap crap things that came with a phone .. same thing ... left IEM destroyed. Both are made as headsets, so there's a fourth metal bit on the 3.5mm connecot .. obviously I wont try to put the TF10s in it to test if it's just that.

Any ideas?

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 5
Anyone with electronic knowledge around? The seller is telling me "that I should have used real headphones" and that "IEMs with too low impendance can be destroyed" by this amp. I'd call that complete rubbish, since they worked fine initially and can be set to acceptable volumes with the volume knob .....

Am I right? Would impendance not be only a problem, if you could not regulate anymore with the volume knob and the available voltage would run too much current through the headphone? Is it correct, that udner no circumstances, no matter what, should there be proper 0-0.4V on one channel and now 5V on the other?

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 5
I have recently received my DX3Pro and have tested it with 6 different headphones. I do not own IEMs so I am unable to test it with those currently. My take is that my unit working well and that includes the Bluetooth functionality. The DX3 Pro is very impressive.

I believe you had posted to the Audiosciencereview website of your findings as well. Why not send your unit to Amirm for testing? It is possible that it is a quality control issue, a one off issue or something else?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 5
I got my new Topping DX3 pro DAC/Amp and at first I used it at home and it worked with a pair of UE TF10 I had in it ... now at work I plugged in two headphones .. one worked fine for a while ... but then suddenly the right IEM would heat up and die ... tried another set of very cheap crap things that came with a phone .. same thing ... left IEM destroyed. Both are made as headsets, so there's a fourth metal bit on the 3.5mm connect .. obviously I wont try to put the TF10s in it to test if it's just that.
Any ideas?
The IEMs you used at work both come with a built in mic?

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 5
The IEMs you used at work both come with a built in mic?

So far yes ... but I'm not sure it can be linked to that, because initially, the first of them worked fine for a minute, then suddenly died and got hot. I also had a pair of UE TF10 on it for around 10 Minutes before the incident which thank god didn't fry.

Topping reacted nice so far: They're sending me a new unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back