Topping dx3 pro suggestions
May 23, 2019 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BriX

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I picked up a Topping dx3 pro about a week ago. It's very detailed but the sound is not to my taste. I purchased it based on its broad functionality, line out and headphone amp. I find the sound strident and lacking in the mids. The staging and balance is also somewhat tight. I've found that upsampling to DSD4 seems to help with the balance and separation, but doesnt address the overall anxiously aggressive character of its presentation. On top of that I'm already using headphones that are pretty darn strident on the top end (DT990-250ohm). Is there a way to improve this experience and if not what might be a better solution at a similar price point with similar functionality (I.e. dac/amp combo or dedicated dac and amp)?

Thanks to any one willing to give their thoughts on this.

Cheers,

J

May 24, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi,

I picked up a Topping dx3 pro about a week ago. It's very detailed but the sound is not to my taste. I purchased it based on its broad functionality, line out and headphone amp. I find the sound strident and lacking in the mids. The staging and balance is also somewhat tight. I've found that upsampling to DSD4 seems to help with the balance and separation, but doesnt address the overall anxiously aggressive character of its presentation. On top of that I'm already using headphones that are pretty darn strident on the top end (DT990-250ohm). Is there a way to improve this experience and if not what might be a better solution at a similar price point with similar functionality (I.e. dac/amp combo or dedicated dac and amp)? Thanks to any one willing to give their thoughts on this. Cheers,J
Me, I would replace the DT990, as the bass/treble slightly overshadows the mids.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 11
Considering this. Is it too much paired with DT1770?

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Considering this. Is it too much paired with DT1770?
Not 100% sure what your asking?
But I would not see an issue with using the Topping DX3 Pro with the 250-Ohm DT1770.

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Many says Topping sounds to clean/sharp and some detailed HP from Beyerdynamic is too much.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Though the thread is somewhat aged (in an oak barrel), I'd still like to comment with a few thoughts and maybe a question:

If the sound I do not like (the t.o. to be mor precise) is due to its neutrality, isn't this the audio heads dream come true? If the sound is clean and untouched this is the perfect chance to adapt to exactly what You are searching for when you eventually touch it with an equalizer setting after your taste in the source, I'd guess. I literally "hate" sounded headphones. If the original material sounds too cold or does not fit my taste I can always add "room" to it by using equilizer APO or do I have a misconception here?
Btw, I use BD DT880PRO (with 250 Ohm as well) which is more detailed and less "bassy" than the 990. I prefer the better mids of the DT880PRO and neutral sound of it. Even more so I also own the AKG K701 (unmodded) which is not really the easiest HP to drive for an amp. Both are considered "clean" already.

Anyways, I just ordered the brand-new succesor to the DX3 (TOPPING DX3 Pro+ Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC ES9038Q2M DSD512 DAC NFCA Headphone Amplifier Pre Amplifier × 1) from Shenzenaudio and expect it to arrive the coming days. It was a total blind purchase, let's see how I will be whining :)
If the DX3+ is also considered "too clean" then I am more than curious what I am going to make of my headphones (see above). They'll both have to be served by the new lil bargain amp. First without any "sound engineering", secondly after adapting to their profile by applying profiles to Equalizer APO (source Win10 enterprise desktop). Will hopefully find the time to report back soon.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 11
It's a real pity that they are completely relying on the Ess Chip just because the Akm factory burnt down.
I would have welcomed more development from Burr Brown and Cirrus Logic.
It seems that only Ifi Audio is relying on Burr Brown, and from Cirrus Logic we see relatively little except for a possible Bluetooth implementation.
I think the market is a bit of a technical shame, especially for the end user, who is forced to buy a device with Ess technology.
If you take a look at it, since the beginning of the year only devices with Ess chips have been released.
It would have made sense to give the other two a chance to develop further in audio chips.
Surely everyone could have profited from this.
One could have possibly made progress in terms of audio.

Even though there is probably nothing to criticise about the new Dx3 pro.
And the implementation may have been successful, I am curious about further impressions.

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 11
interesting. considering to sell my ifi and buy this instead

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 11
It's a real pity that they are completely relying on the Ess Chip just because the Akm factory burnt down.
The D30Pro is based on Cirrus Logic chips and John offhandedly made a notion that they're working on more devices that are not ESS based.

I applaud Topping for using Cirrus Logic. I don't think ESS is bad or anything but a monopoly for ESS is never good for the end consumer in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back