TOPPING DX1 is available now
Oct 28, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #17 of 27
I am using Koss KSC75
Wow, I didn't think there are any of these left in the world! My first half-decent pair of phones, broken and gone a long long time ago.
Apparently, they are still being manufactured, I'm genuinely shocked.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #18 of 27
As for the bottom, it's there but not the booming or slamming type. The whole setup just won't deliver that to begin with as you would imagine.
Not true. It delivers ample of thundering bass and slam if your headphones are up to the task of reproducing it in the first place.

With some headphones, like my Truthear x Crinnacle Zero IEM, you get more deep bass with poor amplifiers that have increased output impedance, like built-in headphone jacks of laptops and phones. With such headphones, switching to a proper low impedance amp like DX1 really does take bass away - because the bass was artificially inflated and boomy to begin with. I felt this effect very well, it's due to the fact these are 10 Ohm phones, but rising up to 30 Ohms in the deep bass region. This uneven impedance, when combined with the high impedance of the amp, creates uneven frequency response. Maybe something like this compelled you to conclude DX1 doesn't reproduce bass.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 27
Holy Hell, using this as a Dac to my Asgard. Wowzers!!! Much better then my D10s and Modi+
That Akm Chip just sings. As a Amp it does pretty good as well. I noticed tho it likes high quality files, feed it garbage files/music and it will show them to you. I don't think for $100 you, in my case, can find a better usb Dac. Bonus here it's an amp as well. Powers all my 300 ohm phones just fine, I listen Loud too.

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #20 of 27
Holy Hell, using this as a Dac to my Asgard. Wowzers!!! Much better then my D10s and Modi+
That Akm Chip just sings. As a Amp it does pretty good as well. I noticed tho it likes high quality files, feed it garbage files/music and it will show them to you. I don't think for $100 you, in my case, can find a better usb Dac. Bonus here it's an amp as well. Powers all my 300 ohm phones just fine, I listen Loud too.
Yeahhh, had them for a while and i use it with the JDS ATOM amp, so far so good..very clean and dynamic sound paired with the ATOM..
DX1 on itself is also pretty good, i don't have any hard to drive stuff as im mostly an IEM user, haha

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #23 of 27
Just got one of these also, it's good as a standalone unit, but I plugged it in as a DAC to the Topping L30 II amp and it's really great. I was running an E50 and don't think I could tell the difference since I just used the default filter on the E50 anyway. On the SMSL SP200 on RCA it sounded really good also. Good noise floor, and FLAC playback is smooth when seeking around. The noise floor isn't dead silent like the E50 is on optical, but until 90 percent in high gain do you even notice something. Going to compare it to the Soundblaster X1 as a DAC this weekend and see which to keep.

May 6, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #24 of 27
Well, not going too deep into this, I'll just tell you that I sold my topping d10s & Atom AMP+ stack after I received topping dx1. It just sounds better, with my Shure SRH1540 anyway.
AKM really came up with a good marketing term "Velvet Sound" ))

Attachments

• PXL_20230505_171018371.jpg
    PXL_20230505_171018371.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 29, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #27 of 27
Hi, Is anyone has experience how this DAC compares to let say xDuoo XD05 or iFi DACs products for natural instruments sound and refined bass notes :) ? Thanks !!
The DX1 sound is pretty transparent, nothing added or missing. Just like any modern onboard sound or phone sounds. The amplifier makes the big difference, and the DX1 just went for middle of the road. A DAC is limited by filters, and the slow ones with pre and post ringing can add more fullness to natural instruments, a little lushness to vocals also. The DX1 just has the one filter option. The SMSL M300SE has a new firmware for filter options, and pretty close in price. I've had them a couple of times, on the balanced 4.4mm it will power a Hifiman HE5xx really well, or any IEM including planar magnetic ones. On the 3.5mm side it's no more power than the DX1, which isn't a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back