TOPPING DX1 is available now
Sep 19, 2022 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27
Most of TOPPING's products are unique because they offer something that hasn’t previously been available at that price point. And no exception for this time, today they released a brand-new DAC&AMP, the DX1, It's of latest USB in, high-performance, budget-oriented mini desktop. On another important note, it's only priced at US$99!

DX1-01.jpg

The DX1 uses the newest sub-flagship AK4493S chips of AKM'S VELVET Sound technology. AK4493S is an upgraded version of the previous AK4493, which brings a better decoding performance. It can be worked as a pure DAC.

For its USB input controller, the DX1 uses the widely popular XMOS XU208 USB controller chip. With the help of XU208, it makes the plug-n-play DX1 compatible with Windows 10, Windows 11, MAC, Linux, IOS, and Android, which is stable and reliable. Aside from running the standard driver, the DX1 also runs a Thesycon custom driver that enables ASIO for better source fidelity.

DX1-en-13.jpg

With the support of USB-powered, like other USB devices, the DX1 does not require an additional adapter for the power supply. Only one USB cable can complete the power supply and data transmission, providing convenient and friendly use. DX1 also gives a maximum output of 280mW x2 without an additional power supply.

How to cancel the noise from USB power? The DX1's answer is the Discrete LNRD circuit (low noise reference driver). The Discrete LNRD circuit filters out the noise and interference of USB 5V power and provides a stable and clean power supply of ultra-low noise reference level for DX1. With this technology, the noise of the DAC part is lower than 2.0uV, and the noise of the AMP part is lower than1 .0uV. Even high-sensitive IEMs will not be bothered by noise.

DX1-en-14.jpg

Measuring 10x 9.8 x 3.2cm, the DX1 is small and compact. It features the aluminum chassis, and combines with both 6.35mm & 3.5mm on the front to meet more needs, besides both ports, it's the knob for function operating. On the rear, It owns the RCA port and provides 2 gain settings, which greatly expands the range of headphone adaptation.

DX1-en-15.jpg

After excellent detail processing, the jitter of DX1 is as low as -160dB, which is close to the measurement limit. Move to the detailed page for more features you'll get! Or live chat with us, email support@shenzhenaudio.com for further support.

DX1-en-16.jpg

ShenzhenAudio https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio Stay updated on ShenzhenAudio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/ https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio https://shenzhenaudio.com/
Sep 19, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 27
Most of TOPPING's products are unique because they offer something that hasn’t previously been available at that price point. And no exception for this time, today they released a brand-new DAC&AMP, the DX1, It's of latest USB in, high-performance, budget-oriented mini desktop. On another important note, it's only priced at US$99!

DX1-01.jpg

The DX1 uses the newest sub-flagship AK4493S chips of AKM'S VELVET Sound technology. AK4493S is an upgraded version of the previous AK4493, which brings a better decoding performance. It can be worked as a pure DAC.

For its USB input controller, the DX1 uses the widely popular XMOS XU208 USB controller chip. With the help of XU208, it makes the plug-n-play DX1 compatible with Windows 10, Windows 11, MAC, Linux, IOS, and Android, which is stable and reliable. Aside from running the standard driver, the DX1 also runs a Thesycon custom driver that enables ASIO for better source fidelity.

DX1-en-13.jpg

With the support of USB-powered, like other USB devices, the DX1 does not require an additional adapter for the power supply. Only one USB cable can complete the power supply and data transmission, providing convenient and friendly use. DX1 also gives a maximum output of 280mW x2 without an additional power supply.

How to cancel the noise from USB power? The DX1's answer is the Discrete LNRD circuit (low noise reference driver). The Discrete LNRD circuit filters out the noise and interference of USB 5V power and provides a stable and clean power supply of ultra-low noise reference level for DX1. With this technology, the noise of the DAC part is lower than 2.0uV, and the noise of the AMP part is lower than1 .0uV. Even high-sensitive IEMs will not be bothered by noise.

DX1-en-14.jpg

Measuring 10x 9.8 x 3.2cm, the DX1 is small and compact. It features the aluminum chassis, and combines with both 6.35mm & 3.5mm on the front to meet more needs, besides both ports, it's the knob for function operating. On the rear, It owns the RCA port and provides 2 gain settings, which greatly expands the range of headphone adaptation.

DX1-en-15.jpg

After excellent detail processing, the jitter of DX1 is as low as -160dB, which is close to the measurement limit. Move to the detailed page for more features you'll get! Or live chat with us, email support@shenzhenaudio.com for further support.

DX1-en-16.jpg
The price is super attractive!

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 27
A backwards Audioengine D1?! 😜
kvgxEwxbAnb7QdrhtZ5q7V-480-80.jpg

Seriously though, the DX1 looks like an amazing AIO Amp/DAC for a C-note! 🤘😎

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 27
Give me example please
If you check their website, for the PA3S it says right at front 80W, which is actually the rating for 10% THD+N at 4 ohms. Though on the specsheet the power output ratings are clearly mentioned for 1% ThD+N, 4/8 ohms.
I just don't think it's necessary to mention the power rating at 10% distortion.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 27
Just got hold of a unit at my local dealer, here in Singapore.

Just an early impression below.

Unit is well built with chasis made of 2mm aluminium. It has some good heft to it, and together with 4x silicone stud feet, it stays pretty much immobile on the desk. Volume pot is smooth and with light resistance.

Connects to PC via a USB A cable which is provided. The end that connects to the amp is USB B, printer style. It is detected right away by my Win 10 laptop, and didn't need to instal anything. It was ready to play immediately. You can change the sampling rate and bit depth in sound device settings. The LED on the amp is just white, so there is no way to tell what is the sampling rate.

Over to mobile phones - mine are Androids, being a Samsung A42 5G and a Redmi Note 10 Pro - it's a bit more tricky. I first tried with a Samsung USB C OTG dongle with my Redmi. Unfortunately playback with Media Monkey and Musicolet apps are spotty. Sometimes the music starts, sometimes it just doesn't. I am guessing it's issue with the phone as I had similar issue with other USB DACs. Bottomline is the Redmi could power up the amp and some internet radio apps work fine. Over to the Samsung, it could not even power up the amp. However switching over to a USB C - USB B audioquest cinnamon cable I took from my hifi setup, it powers up fine. No problem with both earlier-mentioned music apps.

The unit does get slightly warm after an hour or so of playing from PC, on high gain. Then I switched over to my Samsung phone, and as expected it's quite a sucker of power. I am guessing it will drain 15% or more per hour of my phone battery which is a 5000mAh.

I find high gain has a bit more depth and sparkle, and that is my preference for now. I am using Koss KSC75 which is easy to drive, so there is plenty of power and volume from this amp to deafening level. I tested Momentum 4 on wired mode with power turned on, and without adjusting the volume pot, I get about the same volume level. But the sound becomes more in your head and intimate, and mid forward. The low end just shied away and becomes muddy. So I probably won't be using it with the Momentum, not what I bought it for anyway.

Back to the Koss then. It sounds airy with good separation. It is not in your head or intimate, but spaced out a little with some width and depth - just some, like a small soundscape bubble around your head, not far out, not roomful. I bought this largely because it uses AKM chip, so it's warmish with nice mid and so it's good for vocals. You get some texture for the vocals, a light touch of it. Meanwhile the high has nice sparkle, it's not bright, just nice touch on the high. I don't sense any roll-off. As for the bottom, it's there but not the booming or slamming type. The whole setup just won't deliver that to begin with as you would imagine. So bottom is well represented but it will not stand out with authority.

I also think it sounds a bit better with the PC than the phone. I think it just needs more juice to power it properly and not sound anemic.

Overall I am happy with it. It suits my needs as it is small and comes with a handy volume pot. It sounds nice to me where I listen to mostly vocals and classical or just streaming internet radio stations. It has sufficient details with some breadth and depth. The setup is pocket-friendly and sounds the way I like it.

In case anyone wonders, that is Koss KSC75 with Logitech H370 headband and Yaxi pads.

Update on Day 4: Grown to like this amp. It is transparent and does not add any coloration. It just serves the music as is without added flavoring. Of course if you feed it rubbish, you get rubbish too on your headphones. So it is unforgiving on low quality music. While using my Koss, anything less than 320kbps mp3 e.g. internet radio streaming at 128kbps or less sounds crap (however it is wonderful using aptX Adaptive to my B&O Beoplay A1 Gen2 speaker, perhaps due to upsampling and DSP) and is discernible.

20221006_225649.jpg

Attachments

• 20221006_222622.jpg
    20221006_222622.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 27
If you check their website, for the PA3S it says right at front 80W, which is actually the rating for 10% THD+N at 4 ohms. Though on the specsheet the power output ratings are clearly mentioned for 1% ThD+N, 4/8 ohms.
I just don't think it's necessary to mention the power rating at 10% distortion.
But they actually tell the truth and let you know. Other companies don't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back