Topping D90
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #496 of 1,101
I'm not great or as experienced at describing sound as many others on the forum, and I've been mainly experiencing the switch with my DCA Aeon 2 Closed. So please take my experience with a grain of salt. The step up is definitely nice and noticeable. Everything is cleaner, tighter, and with better separation. But I wouldn't say it's worth $700 of new gear, at least for my budget. If you are willing the wait for deals, then I'd say it's totally worth it.

The additional benefit for me for upgrading from Mojo to D90, was not having to manage the battery (charging, unplugging when full, repeat) and to kill it too fast by leaving it plugged in all the time. Plus the D90's sleep mode with auto turn-on when connecting the USB is very convenient (I unplug from my MacBook when I don't listen).

But your expectations and monetary trade-off are of course different than mine. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I'd add that the upgrade from Mojo only (DAC + AMP) to Mojo (DAC) + SP200 was more noticeable and more life-changing than upgrading from Mojo (DAC) + SP200 to D90 + SP200. Again YMMV.
Just out of curiosity, what headphones have you used for the D90 and Mojo?

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #497 of 1,101
Just out of curiosity, what headphones have you used for the D90 and Mojo?
I used the DCA Aeon 2 Closed and the Campfire Atlas IEMs.
I'd prefer to use the Atlas with the Mojo rather than with D90+SP200 because of how powerful the SP200 amp is. It sounds super clean tho, but too much oomph for an IEM.

I also have the Meze 99 Classics with me in NY but I haven't used them in a long time since getting the Aeon 2, so I cannot compare the differences.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #498 of 1,101
That’s always true with Campfire IEMs. They will sound better out of a DAP than even the most accurate desktop DAC and desktop AMP combo you can stack together. IMO, it has to do with low voltage high current amp implementation in DAPs where it doesn’t take much voltage to crank them up to ear bleeding levels yet due to low voltage constraint, you have to crank the current up to reach the powerful dynamics that they need to sound full. Desktop amps are meant to have high voltage, lower current at certain voltage level than DAPs. DAPs might measure far worse in terms of SINAD yet the sound will perceived as subjectively better with IEMs due to amp design in DAPs against desktop amps

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #499 of 1,101
That’s always true with Campfire IEMs. They will sound better out of a DAP than even the most accurate desktop DAC and desktop AMP combo you can stack together. IMO, it has to do with low voltage high current amp implementation in DAPs where it doesn’t take much voltage to crank them up to ear bleeding levels yet due to low voltage constraint, you have to crank the current up to reach the powerful dynamics that they need to sound full. Desktop amps are meant to have high voltage, lower current at certain voltage level than DAPs. DAPs might measure far worse in terms of SINAD yet the sound will perceived as subjectively better with IEMs due to amp design in DAPs against desktop amps
Yup that’s exactly it. My Atlas sound great out of the Mojo or out of my Hiby R5. My ideal portable setup.
Would love to try my D90+SP200 with other headphones down the line when my budget allow, like the Hifiman Arya, Rosson RAD-0 and more.

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #501 of 1,101
Jul 2, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #502 of 1,101
Yup that’s exactly it. My Atlas sound great out of the Mojo or out of my Hiby R5. My ideal portable setup.
Would love to try my D90+SP200 with other headphones down the line when my budget allow, like the Hifiman Arya, Rosson RAD-0 and more.

Or you may try to use R5 + D90 combo via USBC to USB-B, then dual XLR output to 4.4mm female adapter, then to your Atlas.

D90 AKM4499 chips is superb.

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #503 of 1,101
Or you may try to use R5 + D90 combo via USBC to USB-B, then dual XLR output to 4.4mm female adapter, then to your Atlas.

D90 AKM4499 chips is superb.
Don't waste this option, since you have both hardwares and good earphone. What a waste if not explore...

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #505 of 1,101
Like a few others here I ordered my D90 from Apos - even with the 4th of July weekend it arrived in just a few days - set it up this afternoon and enjoying it so far. Looks great sitting on top of my Monoprice THX-887. Working with Apos was great - great communication, upgraded my shipping ( since it shipped direct from China ) and arrived in great condition.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #506 of 1,101
ARRIVED..

IMG_20200709_163536.jpg

Upgraded to 1.24 version And Testing..

Best Regards

Sisco

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #510 of 1,101
Does it makes sense to upgrade the power cable on D90 DAC? Will it; or i should say, CAN a better power cable improve the sound quality of a headphone DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back