Topping D90
Jun 15, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #421 of 1,101
Exactly, when I was listening to source material without frequency extension beyond the Filter #3 roll-off I couldn't hear any difference - as there was none to hear. :)

When I looked again at the graph I picked the Filters with the widest gap - giving me the best chance to hear the difference - and looked for source material that had extension across the gap between those two Filters, #3 and #5.

Even so I needed to improve my hearing by using headphones with more high frequency extension, and still needed to search for tracks that I could definately repeatedly hear a difference, which turned out to also be an improvement - there's more pass through of high frequency source material through Filter #5 than Filter #3 (or #4).

So if your source material has high frequency extension, and your headphones also provide high frequency extension, you have a good chance of hearing the difference. :)

Now, I'm on Filter #5. :)
Good for you, my half centurion's hearing is getting poor, now can listen to 16-18kHz only, low frequency at 35-40Hz via speaker system using test tracks.

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #422 of 1,101
Good for you, my half centurion's hearing is getting poor, now can listen to 16-18kHz only, low frequency at 35-40Hz via speaker system using test tracks.
Haha, no I'm not hearing much past 20khz either, but the Live performance through those two filters #3 and #5 is definitely different.

That's why I said to relax and listen and let your mind work out the detection. You may not hear it, but you may detect the difference, if you relax and give yourself a chance.

If nothing else reading the Filter roll-off data gives a good measure to decide what to pass and what to limit. If you want to cut off the source material past 20k+- then use Filter #3, otherwise to pass through as much data from the source material (if it has it) use Filter #4 or #5.

Another reason for limiting (filtering) the frequencies passed through by the DAC might be to reduce battery power used, with little discernable detriment. The amplifier can't amplify what isn't provided. The same idea as a crossover limiting frequencies to an amplifier or speaker.

Maybe on my M15 Filter #3 is best for mobile and Filter #5 when I'm plugged in?

And, thanks for the test tones track reminder, now my ears are ringing. :)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #423 of 1,101
How does the D90 compare with the D70? I apologize if I missed this - I didn't read through all the pages.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #424 of 1,101
I have noticed when D90 resumes from sleep mode, the previous input setting is lost. I listen in Optical mode but upon waking it is sometimes on USB or BT and don't have those connected. Is there a way to set the default input?

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #425 of 1,101
I have noticed when D90 resumes from sleep mode, the previous input setting is lost. I listen in Optical mode but upon waking it is sometimes on USB or BT and don't have those connected. Is there a way to set the default input?

I have not noticed this. I did briefly test USB several weeks ago and it was fine. It should remember the last source. I now exclusively use I2$ and find the sleep and wake feature of the D90 just perfect!

Something to try would be to switch off Bluetooth in the D90 menu to see if that improves things for you.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #426 of 1,101
Just now I tried enabling BT, connected and started playing music (more on that later, weird MQA / Tidal stuff) - and when I turn off and turn back on via Remote the D90 does come up in USB mode even though I turned off the D90 in BT mode. Either that's a bug or a mis-feature. I'd find it annoying too. Please report it to Topping support as a feature request. I'll do the same, but IDK if it's possible to fix in a firmware update.

Also, I have a D90 MQA and in BT when connected with my PC - which I also use for USB DAC mode MQA passthrough with the D90, when I selected the BT "D90 Headphone" (D90 in BT mode) output I was allowed to set MQA Exclusive, Fixed Volume, and MQA Passthrough options - the D90 MQA front panel still says 44.1khz (on a 192khz MQA track), so MQA isn't getting passed through - either this is a Tidal bug or some odd D90 BT handshake? It seems to me that those settings shouldn't be available for a BT device, at least with today's generation of devices.

BTW, man BT with my PC sounds awesome! I wouldn't have expected that given BT with the BTR5 / BTR3k vs USB DAC sounds best. Not that the BTR5 / BTR3k BT sounded bad, but BT of a Tidal Master 192khz track through the D90 / A90 is sweet golden joy.:)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #427 of 1,101
Something to consider is the differences between the D90 and the D90 MQA DACs. They are different in terms of some elements of the hardware and firmware, but do share the same DAC chipset. In view of this, there are likely to be different bugs in their respective firmwares.

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #428 of 1,101
BT MQA maybe a limitation of bluetooth and not a bug, I also played BT just to check on the Tidal app through my iPhone set in Master. I didn't expect it to play and like you I only get the standard PCM playback which was no surprise to me. it sounded fine. Just like the chipset on the standard D90 none MQA, which cannot playback the full unfolded MQA titles, I never expected the D90 MQA to be unfolded via BT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back