Topping D90
Apr 25, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #168 of 1,101
Been using the D70 for the last 6 months and have had no complaints so far. I use it to power my Liquid Platinum/ THX 887 and my Hagerman Audio TUBA. Is there any reason to upgrade to the D90? I can sell my D70 for $400 at the moment and then buy the D90 for $699. Is the $300 extra worth the upgrades?

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #169 of 1,101
I use my remote a lot since I'm using the D90's preamp for my poweramp. I used to have a Holo dac and it came with a solid chunk of aluminum of a remote and really loved that feeling of a high quality remote. There's just something with feeling a cold chunk of aluminum in your hand. Ya I'm weird... :grin:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #170 of 1,101
Been using the D70 for the last 6 months and have had no complaints so far. I use it to power my Liquid Platinum/ THX 887 and my Hagerman Audio TUBA. Is there any reason to upgrade to the D90? I can sell my D70 for $400 at the moment and then buy the D90 for $699. Is the $300 extra worth the upgrades?

Never owned any other Topping dac besides the D90, so I can't really say if its worth it. But I do think its worth it if you fancy a superior measuring dac, which equates to better resale value later on. You could also just buy one and try it out yourself if its audibly better on your gear. I recommend Apos audio for their 30day return and 2nd year warranty!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #171 of 1,101
What amps are people pairing with the D90? I'm mulling over replacing my CEntrance DACMini on my desk setup with either a Burson Conductor, a Topping DX7s, or a D90. I really like the initial impressions of gear with the 4499, but not sure what amp to pair up with it. The amp will need a pass-through also, as I use the setup to feed both my Elegias and a pair of Audioengine A5+ speakers.
Edit: The Dx7s (and Pro) amp doesn't have a pass through, but isn't the A5+ a powered speaker? you can use RCA Splitters/switch box if you want to connect more devices with RCA?

Can't speak about the D90 or Conductors, but if you don't have an Amp to start with the DX7S as a DAC/Amp like the Centrance, so it is a great swap in to start with, tho you should probably go with the DX7Pro as that has newer specs (9038Pro instead of dual 9038Q2M same chip as the Conductor 3, funnily enough) and it has Bluetooth, so you won't feel you're just upgrading on internal spec but also input options, it's usually just 100 usd of price difference from DX7S.

The DX7S can be get at a bargain used price tho, I got mine for 170 usd for example.

The Burson Conductor3 has similar sets of input options as 7Pro, also comes with a lot more driving power with its amp, and simply Phenomenal build quality, but the Burson uses Q2M instead of 9038 Pro, also price is more than double the Topping, so yeah the choice is yours to make.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #172 of 1,101
Contemplating getting D90 and a Soekris 1421, the review above mentioned the D90 has a smooth top-end - is this leaning towards a warm sound, or is it just ESS without the glare?

Apr 26, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #173 of 1,101
I've been using both I2S (IIS) and USB Audio interfaces on the D90 to see which one sounds better. The I2S interface produces better sound in terms of detail and clarity. The USB Audio interfaces produces a nicer soundstage to my ears. My experimentation was around trying to get the same soundstage that the USB interface produces via the I2S interface so I had the best of both worlds.

I had been using the D90 in Pure DAC mode from day one. One thing I noticed was that as I cranked up the volume on my headphone amp, the sound became quite harsh very quickly. A few nights of critical listening suggested some clipping was going. Perhaps the D90 was sending too much voltage to my headphone amp? This, despite my headphone amp being able to accept up to 4V via XLR.

So, this morning I changed form Pure DAC to Pre mode, and left the volume at 0dB. Now I'm getting the same type of soundstage as USB produces, but with the same level of detail and clarity as the I2S interface with the D90 in Pure DAC mode produces - the best of both worlds.

I know that logic dictates that using pre-amp mode (i.e. volume control mode) would degrade the sound, but I'm not really hearing this in my headphones. I'm just getting a better, smoother sound and I can crank the volume quite a bit with no harshness.

Sound chain is:

Cayin N6ii --> I2S --> D90 (Pre mode) --> Arcam rHead head amp --> beyer T1.2 headphones

It's literally one change I made on the D90: Pure DAC to Pre mode with volume set at 0dB.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #175 of 1,101
Yeah, he compares the Denafrips Ares 2 to the Topping D90,he seems to prefer the Denafrips but also said that the Topping D90 is nice because it has a preamplifier, bluetooth and is better than the DAC on the Hegel H190 which is a 4,000 integrated amplifier.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #176 of 1,101
He mentions using a tube preamp to increase the D90's soundstage - that sounds like something I am interested in.

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #177 of 1,101
Contemplating getting D90 and a Soekris 1421, the review above mentioned the D90 has a smooth top-end - is this leaning towards a warm sound, or is it just ESS without the glare?
To be fair I don't hear glare from my ESS based Tone Board, which is warmer sounding due to its softer presentation.

Comparatively the D90 has a slight downward sloping response and is more focused/clean/spacious... leaning to the raw R2R side not the over-sampled digital side.

I hope that makes sense.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #178 of 1,101
I think the T4 sounds better than DX7Pro and THX 887.
Although just learning about tube amp, Ihave great respect for beezer . Preorder of the t4, at $2000, is, very sadly, beyond my $1300 saved up. Was not the dx7 pro $600 and the thx887 $600ish. T4 is my dream amp, an improving design, and, i expect very well designed and hand assembled, point to point type.wish there were more reviews and demos for people like me with a senns hd 6xx, focal elear, and mc1060 cans.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #179 of 1,101
No, you are viewing it incorrectly, What i'm saying is the "change" is the Similar going from RCA to XLR, Same sound, but slight DB increase in bass/imaging. Zero voltage reference mentioned for good reason!
While you are right RCA to XLR +3DB? is due to voltage I have zero idea why for the power cable.
Im new, just learning. But, should not a balanced xlr have noticeably less noise & less cross talk besides a +3db volume from voltage gains.

Apr 28, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #180 of 1,101
Im new, just learning. But, should not a balanced xlr have noticeably less noise & less cross talk besides a +3db volume from voltage gains.
Not sure what thats got to do with the price of fish on friday or what i said... So.... someone else can handle it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back