Topping D90
Dec 25, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,066 of 1,101
Thanks for the recommendation I will consider that. Happy Holidays!
Happy New Year to you. I've got a hypothesis for you to try out if you have some downtime.

If a bespoke USB cable sounds better than a standard cable, it's by inadvertently filtering computer high freq electrical noise hash by using poor dialectics.

To test that at home
1. Get someone to AB your USB cables with you blinded
2. If you can actually hear a difference then try TOSLINK vs USB, as TOSLINK is 100% isolated
3. USB to TOSLINK is cheap these days - search for a Douk or SMSL for about $50. Dont spend more. TOSLINK has horrible jitter so a pricier DDC with better clocks is redundant. Topping will reclock SPDIF anyway.

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,067 of 1,101
If a bespoke USB cable sounds better than a standard cable, it's by inadvertently filtering computer high freq electrical noise hash by using poor dialectics.
A hash for poor 'dialectics', just in a case
15we736r7892hc740654adb

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #1,068 of 1,101
Why do people criticise Topping DACs a lot more compare to other DACs like ones from Holo? A person from head-fi said Topping DACs are no good Chinese made cheap crap and got so many upvotes? But I've read very good things about Topping DACs from the audiosciencereview forum and soundnews website. Do Topping Dac like the D90 sound that much worse than Holo Dac?

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #1,069 of 1,101
Why do people criticise Topping DACs a lot more compare to other DACs like ones from Holo? A person from head-fi said Topping DACs are no good Chinese made cheap crap and got so many upvotes? But I've read very good things about Topping DACs from the audiosciencereview forum and soundnews website. Do Topping Dac like the D90 sound that much worse than Holo Dac?
Different sponsorship, different social media army. Both brands do not deserve attention. Both cheating in their own way, targeting what is perceived important in particular society. In the strictly scientology environment Topping deliver 'upgraded' units for measurements, mass production comes with lower spec components, like clock chips, capacitors or even fake opamps like in my D30 case. Old story. This affair had been acknowledged, but this particular model was still pushed on the top of SINAD table, not re-tested as it should.

Holo Audio push their NOS feature which is not really NOS and unlike other R2R brands requires upsampling on the PC, giving opportunity for other marketers in a joint operation. Made for measurements like Topping, also found approval on the scientology forum, the strongest feature. Not going to details and will not respond to arguing on this issue in the wrong place.

In reality where sound is the most important, both brands are positioned on average. Topping is not the best sounding when comparing to other Delta-Sigma brands. On the other side, Holo Audio loses comparison to the best sounding R2R brands, it has a chance with the best sounding DS brands as pushed on this forum, Topping is not.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #1,070 of 1,101
In reality where sound is the most important, both brands are positioned on average. Topping is not the best sounding when comparing to other Delta-Sigma brands. On the other side, Holo Audio loses comparison to the best sounding R2R brands, it has a chance with the best sounding DS brands as pushed on this forum, Topping is not.
Thank you for your input. How was your experience with DACs from Gustard and Denafrips compare to Audio GD?

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #1,071 of 1,101
Thank you for your input. How was your experience with DACs from Gustard and Denafrips compare to Audio GD?
I had an experience with Ares II almost decided to buy one, then had an occasion for a second-hand R2R-11 ($350 new) and it was a good move. With both brands you can't go wrong spending more, but the best value at the moment present R-8Mk2 (or HE version with regenerative power supply) and Pontus 12th respecively for each brand. Gustard makes R2R, it is an interesting newcomer, integrated streaming feature makes it popular. I can't compare quality of a DAC, I didn't hear. However I would prefer a separate streamer component from the ground loops perspective and power surges. I don't have to replace DAC in two years when streaming require new equipment as well.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,072 of 1,101
Different sponsorship, different social media army. Both brands do not deserve attention. Both cheating in their own way, targeting what is perceived important in particular society. In the strictly scientology environment Topping deliver 'upgraded' units for measurements, mass production comes with lower spec components, like clock chips, capacitors or even fake opamps like in my D30 case. Old story. This affair had been acknowledged, but this particular model was still pushed on the top of SINAD table, not re-tested as it should.

Holo Audio push their NOS feature which is not really NOS and unlike other R2R brands requires upsampling on the PC, giving opportunity for other marketers in a joint operation. Made for measurements like Topping, also found approval on the scientology forum, the strongest feature. Not going to details and will not respond to arguing on this issue in the wrong place.

AFAIK Goldenone measured the Holo and confirmed it was a true NOS DAC. Holo IMHO do design by both ears and technical chops such as outstanding PLL jitter rejection and a separate ladder just for linearity error correction as well. NOS DAC purists though would prefer a much simpler circuit like those from Abbas or Audio Note or Mojo Audio NOS DACs however

Topping believes in lots of negative feedback to produce exceptional measured performance which goes against the traditional audiophile design of just a tinge of negative global feedback or even no feedback at all (including no feedback in inputs and outputs) and choosing parts that the designer felt sound best to his/her ears

Jan 19, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #1,073 of 1,101
What's the general consensus for those who own one of these.

4V or 5v mode?

Not sure if my mind is playing tricks but it sounds better on 5v.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #1,074 of 1,101
I am trying to connect SPDIF out (PC) to optical (D90) with an optical cable and it shows a signal on the DAC but my PC does not show the DAC anywhere now, I looked through sound device manager and its not there. If I use USB its always fine but I wanted to try an optical connection.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,075 of 1,101
I am trying to connect SPDIF out (PC) to optical (D90) with an optical cable and it shows a signal on the DAC but my PC does not show the DAC anywhere now, I looked through sound device manager and its not there. If I use USB its always fine but I wanted to try an optical connection.
When using optical you'll need to select the 'High Definition Audio Device'
USB is an asynchronous, two way connection and the device provides information about itself to the PC.

SPDIF is a synchronous, one-way connection where the PC has no idea about the device on the other end or even if one is connected at all. It just streams the data and the device on the other end has to handle it.

Your SPDIF output is usually a realtek controller and will be listed as 'SPDIF' or 'High Definition Audio Device' or something similar

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #1,076 of 1,101
When using optical you'll need to select the 'High Definition Audio Device'
USB is an asynchronous, two way connection and the device provides information about itself to the PC.

SPDIF is a synchronous, one-way connection where the PC has no idea about the device on the other end or even if one is connected at all. It just streams the data and the device on the other end has to handle it.

Your SPDIF output is usually a realtek controller and will be listed as 'SPDIF' or 'High Definition Audio Device' or something similar
Thanks Golden, I was actually being an idiot and did not realise that I had to select the digital audio in the select playback device in windows. I have never used optical before but people say its less noisy than USB especially with big gaming PC's like mine that can create a lot of potential noise/interference.

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,077 of 1,101
Thanks Golden, I was actually being an idiot and did not realise that I had to select the digital audio in the select playback device in windows. I have never used optical before but people say its less noisy than USB especially with big gaming PC's like mine that can create a lot of potential noise/interference.
Yeah Optical will have no noise as it's not an electrical signal path.
However as a tradeoff optical usually has significantly higher jitter so it's often the worst option. Kinda depends on the situation and the DAC though

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,078 of 1,101
Yeah Optical will have no noise as it's not an electrical signal path.
However as a tradeoff optical usually has significantly higher jitter so it's often the worst option. Kinda depends on the situation and the DAC though
Yeah I was getting feedback/noise when I was just scrolling through Roon with the 800S with the Cayin HA-3/D90 with USB and now that noise is gone. However, I think I have a ground loop issue as I am getting a lot of hissing in the background with the 800S and the Cayin amp. I bought the Ifi GDN defender so hopefully that will solve the issue but I don't get any background noise with the LCD 4 though.

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #1,079 of 1,101
I bought a new PC (not gaming but close in specs) and now notice static (when scrolling, and even sometimes when not using the mouse or keyboard) listening to music on Audirvana, VLC, etc. PC>USB>D70>Monolith THX 887, XLR interconnects. Didn't occur with my older PC. I may try optical or coax and see if it eliminates the static. Same noise with other DACs including D90SE and D10Balanced.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #1,080 of 1,101
Potentially as the PO100 does not have any internal galvanic isolation.

Many higher end DDCs do though.
Also, worth noting that I2S itself isn't automatically better than USB. And with I2S the clock signal is provided by the digital source. This means that the quality of the DDC has a direct and measurable impact on the jitter performance of the DAC.

It's likely that the PO100 Pro will have poorer jitter than the D90SE's internal clocks and so you may get no improvement, or a degradation in performance
Hey Cameron,

Is Zen stream going to Pontus II with just USB cable better than Zen stream going to the smsl PO100 pro and then I2S to the Pontus? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back