Topping D90
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #556 of 1,101
D90 MQA vs D90. I am having trouble figuring out if there is any discernable difference between the two... Which one would you buy? The main input will be USB put through some iFi filters into the DAC. Output into Geshelli labs Erish into Meze Empyreans. I am looking for the cleanest audio signal possible (I probably came to the right place!).

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #557 of 1,101
D90 MQA vs D90. I am having trouble figuring out if there is any discernable difference between the two... Which one would you buy? The main input will be USB put through some iFi filters into the DAC. Output into Geshelli labs Erish into Meze Empyreans. I am looking for the cleanest audio signal possible (I probably came to the right place!).

If you mainly run Tidal, get MQA. If not, get D90 standard. If you're having second thoughts over $100 difference, probably not worth it.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #558 of 1,101
Ive re
If you mainly run Tidal, get MQA. If not, get D90 standard. If you're having second thoughts over $100 difference, probably not worth it.
The money is not what bothers me here it is the rumors that the mqa version sacrifices quality for non mqa material. I am wondering if there is any feedback to support this?

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #560 of 1,101
Ive re

The money is not what bothers me here it is the rumors that the mqa version sacrifices quality for non mqa material. I am wondering if there is any feedback to support this?
Not sure why that would be. It’s the same unit except the MQA has a more powerful XMOS chipset (XU-216 vs 208) that has 2x the processing power and 4x the RAM to handle the MQA decoding. If anything it should sound better over USB, but any other inputs should be exactly the same.

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #561 of 1,101
Ive re

Haven't heard any claims like that. Do you have links to share on those so called rumors?

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #562 of 1,101

I got the non-MQA version as I’m trying to wean myself off MQA and prefer Hi-Res or just lossless CD-quality. Depending on the rest of your audio setup, I would look into the I2S interface of the D90 for the best and cleanest posable sound quality. For me, it sounds better than using USB.

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #564 of 1,101
Hi guys. Sorry noob here. Saw one post that d90 runs pure dac mode. That it literally displays the word DAC on the screen. Pushed all the remote buttons and i cant get it to work on my unit. Thanks in advance

It's in the "hidden" settings menu:

1. Turn power off using the back power switch or unplug cable
2. Press and hold down the power/select button
3. Flick the power back on while still holding down the power/select button

Look for the "LO Mode" setting

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #565 of 1,101
If money is not an issue, get R2R DAC. Starting from $350 DAC/HPA combo, $750 DAC seems very popular, or $1100 for a top quality DAC/HPA combo. D90+A90 pair goes more expensive and sounds not a similar.

MQA is only justified on a limited Internet connection speed, i.e. cellular. Otherwise I agree witth others, forget about MQA, it is a proprietary and a lossy format. You will love CD ripped files on a decent R2R decoder.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #568 of 1,101
If money is not an issue, get R2R DAC. Starting from $350 DAC/HPA combo, $750 DAC seems very popular, or $1100 for a top quality DAC/HPA combo. D90+A90 pair goes more expensive and sounds not a similar.

MQA is only justified on a limited Internet connection speed, i.e. cellular. Otherwise I agree witth others, forget about MQA, it is a proprietary and a lossy format. You will love CD ripped files on a decent R2R decoder.

I just wonder why its called lossy but can go up to 48,96,192,384khz?

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #569 of 1,101
I just wonder why its called lossy but can go up to 48,96,192,384khz?

You can upsample a lossy 128kHz MP3 to 192kHz bitrate. The sound quality would still remain poor. A well recorded lossless CD (16-bit, 44.1kHz) can sound amazing.

I've heard some people suggest that some of the 'unfolding' of an MQA file may not be quite lossless, but I don't really want to get into any MQA-good-bad debate! I have both TIDAL and Qobuz and am busy buying CDs again for songs that I really like!

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #570 of 1,101

One factor in your decision might be whether you want to support the continued existence of MQA by paying (indirectly) the company behind it. There are those who believe it is harmful for the music industry. See here, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back