Topping A90
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #691 of 1,442

Ah, sorry. Some applications have that in order to bypass the audio processing of Windows (Tidal, Roon, etc). Are you using XLR or RCA? Are the connections correct?

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #693 of 1,442
iam using Xlr connection the sound is audiobale already I think connections are correct do u mean by (tidal, roon..) the apps for music ?? sorry iam really not that expert.

Ok, do you know if your d90 is in DAC mode or not? Meaning, are you able to increase the volume on the DAC itself?

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #695 of 1,442
the only things that I played with in my dac is I put it in pure dac mode and mode 3 and xlr only connections I didn't touched anything els. thats why I think Iam missing something in the dac.
Got it, it should be fine.

I have the LCD-4 (harder to drive than Arya) and if I put it at high gain with that volume, I'd destroy my ears.

If your d90 is already in DAC mode and the connections are correct, then it must be your PC. Are you connected to the PC through USB?

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #696 of 1,442
Got it, it should be fine.

I have the LCD-4 (harder to drive than Arya) and if I put it at high gain with that volume, I'd destroy my ears.

If your d90 is already in DAC mode and the connections are correct, then it must be your PC. Are you connected to the PC through USB?
thats why iam sooo confused most people say that I was disappointed when I put my arya in max volume and high gain. yes iam using it with the usb

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #697 of 1,442
thats why iam sooo confused most people say that I was disappointed when I put my arya in max volume and high gain. yes iam using it with the usb

What software are you listening to your music with? Honestly hard to diagnose without seeing your PC's sound control panel.

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #699 of 1,442
iam using mainly Spotify and I used tidal masters records but didn't heared that much different so iam sticking with the spotify premium and youtube now.

what should I focus on in the sound control panel?

On your sound settings in control panel, is your default on the "Playback" tab set to "TOPPING USB DAC?"

Also, if you highlight that and go to "Properties," then the "Advanced" tab, what's the "default format" set to?

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #700 of 1,442
defult format.PNG

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #705 of 1,442
I understand this logic, but here's the thing: it only happens with the A90. I can plugin any combination of dacs into the A90 and I get the same result. I also have a NuPrime HPA-9 which has 2 RCA inputs (no XLR) and when switching the inputs on it there is no such issue. The same DACs, the same Roon and the same syncronization of DACs in Roon. I'm trying to figure out what could be the cause. What am I not seeing?
That's wild man, I don't get any such effect when switching between RCA and XLR inputs on the A90 - fed by a D90 MQA - the audio doesn't change in any way except a small change in volume between the inputs - XLR is about 1dB louder.

As others have said there is no feedback from the A90 to the DAC that would cause this effect you are hearing. The A90 shouldn't be drawing enough power to glitch the power into the DAC, but that's the only possible thing I can think of how the A90 load could effect the DAC feeding it. Try powering the DAC from a different power circuit and see if that stops the anomaly you are hearing.
I've found the culprit. Its not the A90 at all. Its the ifi iDefender USB3.0. What a piece of garbage! So, one of my DACs was always connected using the ifi Defender so I was always getting this behavior. The reason I decided to look there was that I synced the FiiO M15 and the D90 connected to the A90 using Roon and just switched the headphone, this time around, from one amp to the other. I noticed the tempo change without having to switch from XLR to RCA. I was doing nothing but changing the headphone. So I realized its the digital signal. Removed the ifi Defender from the D90 and the problem is solved. And before you blame it on something else please remember that I had the ifi Defender connected to other DACs before. So its not the D90 either.
Interesting, was the power feeding the ifi iDefender plugged into the same AC as the A90? The ifi Defender shouldn't be doing this either, so check the power to it - you did connect power to it besides the USB, right?

It could be a flaky USB / power connection to the ifi Defender from the PC or DAC and any physical "bump" from your physical actions could be causing the ifi Defender to behave intermittently. Tapping it might cause the same glitches.

Many people report using the ifi Defender and other ifi "filter / cleaning" products successfully, perhaps you have a bad unit?

You might try contacting ifi support to ask for assistance with tracking down the problem and if needed getting your product replaced or refunded.
https://support.ifi-audio.com/index.php
https://support.ifi-audio.com/open.php

@iFi audio - any ideas?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back